32 posts
  • 1 / 4
 by AvengerRam
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Have you watched Darrell Henderson's highlight reel? If not, go to YouTube. In particular, I'd check out this one against UCF, the #8 team in the nation when Memphis played them. Note how he's used as a wildcat QB on several plays.

Have you seen his stats? Pretty off the chart. 1,900 yards rushing with an 8.9 average.

We, as Rams fans, should be excited about this guy. Don't forget, several very good NFL backs have come from Day 2 of the draft in recent years (Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, Derrick Henry), so there's no reason to think Henderson might not be a highly productive NFL RB.

The reason, of course, for any failure to get too excited about Henderson is Todd Gurley. I'd go so far as to say that the media, with its constant over-analysis of Gurley's knee, has almost put us in the position of avoiding talking up Henderson for fear of appearing overly concerned about Gurley.

Well, I say... we don't have to choose! We can be Gurley and Henderson fans. We can hope they both succeed. I find it hard to believe that anyone would disagree with the notion that two top RBs are better than one!

Gee... I hope I didn't hurt Malcolm Brown's feelings.

Three top RBs!

by DirtyFacedKid
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   973  
United States of America   San Clemente
Veteran

I'm optimistic but, this being the NFL with an average team still being light years more talented than #8 UCF, I'd cut the good you see from Henderson on this particular reel in half and double the shutdowns for a more accurate NFL representation of potential performance. He got up slow on a couple of those as well.

That said, his stats (as mentioned) are ridiculous. With some good McVay coaching and a [hopefully] strong O-Line that can create some holes, we may have something here. Gotta wait and see, obviously, but here's to hoping.

Right now, I'm still in the Malcolm Brown camp.

by AvengerRam
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

DirtyFacedKid wrote:I'm optimistic but, this being the NFL with an average team still being light years more talented than #8 UCF, I'd cut the good you see from Henderson on this particular reel in half and double the shutdowns for a more accurate NFL representation of potential performance.

Well... he had 16 carries for 210 yards and 3 TDs in that game, so I'll take half the yards on half-again as many carries and accept 24 carries for 105 yards. Heck... I'll even round down to 1 TD. Still pretty good production! 8-)

by DirtyFacedKid
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   973  
United States of America   San Clemente
Veteran

AvengerRam wrote:Well... he had 16 carries for 210 yards and 3 TDs in that game, so I'll take half the yards on half-again as many carries and accept 24 carries for 105 yards. Heck... I'll even round down to 1 TD. Still pretty good production! 8-)

I didn't do the math on that, but was assuming it would still be good production in the Big League even after adjustments. I truly am hopeful. But then there's Tayvon. Not exactly the same, but he was a gadget/change-of-pace guy that didn't pan out as expected.

Cautiously optimistic.

by aeneas1
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

i remember the same highlight reels for one tavon austin! seriously tho, i think we're all excited to see what dh can do, if he can become another 3rd round kamara find, how cool would that be?

by HarRam
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   25  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

What jumped out to me was his acceleration, his ability to hit the hole, to separate from would-be tacklers. Tavon had the same ability, but at 5'8" or 9" and 160 lbs., he was too slight and could be brought down with an arm tackle. You can't do that with DH. From what I've seen, he runs behind his pads and runs through arm tackles.

And, when he wasn't hurt, Tavon was a threat that had to be dealt with. That's worth something in and of itself. My point, Tavon Austin isn't necessarily a bad comparison.

by snackdaddy
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I taper my enthusiasm until he actually plays. It has more to do with the Tavon Austin experiment than Gurley. But at least this time its a 3rd rounder. If Henderson is going to be our gadget player, those guys are usually found in the 3rd and 4th rounds. We traded up to take Austin in the first. We thought it might be the Fisherball offense but Austin couldn't find his niche with McVay. He doesn't look any better in Dallas.

I'm not all that concerned about Gurley. I think what they're doing is the right way to keep him fresh for the season. I just hope Henderson is ready for the nuances of the NFL by the time September comes around. Kelly wasn't. Henderson does look like a guy who has the playmaking abilities for the big plays. But again, my enthusiasm is tapered because he's a rookie.

by Rams43
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   64  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

I’m very optimistic about Henderson’s role in this O.

He couldn’t have a better HC to maximize his development and production.

And then there’s his God given talents. Such acceleration. I’m betting that he will prove to be a 3rd round steal.

by Elvis
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I'm already a pretty big fan, especially considering he hasn't played a down in the NFL yet...

• 1 / 4
32 posts Apr 19 2024