86 posts
  • 4 / 9
 by Elvis
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

St. Loser Fan wrote:Does this mean the Super Bowl gets pushed back to President’s Weekend?

If they're eliminating 2 preseason games, they could start the season earlier, maybe...

by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Murphy wrote:I think with all the concern about player health and safety, it would be difficult to go from 16 regular-season games to 18"

so 16 regular season games is the magic number, eh? going from 14 to 16 (in 1978) was ok in terms of player safety/health, but 16 to 18? whoa nelly!?!

re starters limited to 16 games, so mr. clipboard (backup qb) all of a sudden becomes a much more important dude, with a pay hike commensurate with that increased importance?

if i'm the head coach, starting the scrubs in the first two games of the 18-game regular season while honing the playbook with the starters on the practice field for two additional weeks would look pretty good to me, and if all teams decided to do the same it would pretty much be no different than the current preseason format.

by Elvis
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Seems like a pretty good opening bid to me: You guys don't want to play in more than 16 games, cool, we'll still have 18 and you can rest for 2 of them. At some point, i'd think the players would want the option to play in all 18.

But in any case, expand the roster, put more value on your backup QB and backup LT, people are up in arms but it could work, certainly with everyone playing by the same rules and having a plan for how to do it...

by /zn/
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:

not sure i follow this, so your starting qb will play with a backup left tackle when your healthy left tackle is taking his days off?

Vincent Bonsignore@VinnyBonsignore
Great so your QB gets hurt because the backup LT gets eaten alive. Which will happen at some point and we’ll all be looking at each other like a bunch of dumb—-s

by sloramfan
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1581  
United States of America   cen coast cal
Pro Bowl

wait a minute.. 2 more games but 2 games off??? that's ridiculous.

make them play all 18 and expand the roster.. maybe add (i just ralphed) another bye week...

players will want to play.. period

expanded rosters mean more jobs, better replacements, and more money... for both parties

i for one, would not want to tune in, and find out we lost a game, we could have won, because "X" was not eligible.. fuck that

man up for 18... the sooner the better, and drop the 2 preseason games...

and pay the players..

go rams

slo

by Indrid Cold
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   863  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

A negotiating ploy floating this out in the media. Act like this is a top owner/league priority, concede and keep at 16 games, and then ask for tit-for-tat concessions from the NFLPA on things more important to the owner's bottom line.

by /zn/
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Indrid Cold wrote:A negotiating ploy floating this out in the media. Act like this is a top owner/league priority, concede and keep at 16 games, and then ask for tit-for-tat concessions from the NFLPA on things more important to the owner's bottom line.

I agree with that.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Indrid Cold wrote:A negotiating ploy floating this out in the media. Act like this is a top owner/league priority, concede and keep at 16 games, and then ask for tit-for-tat concessions from the NFLPA on things more important to the owner's bottom line.

Agreed.

• 4 / 9
86 posts Apr 18 2024