86 posts
  • 9 / 9
 by St. Loser Fan
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:The players do not want an 18 game schedule. At all. No matter how they set it up.

The last time the league floated a balloon on this they tried the "starters play just 16 of the 18 games & expanded roster" thing. Players didn't like it.

I’m not saying they do. I don’t know what the players want. I’m just guessing where the negotiations would go.

If I was a player I would not want 18 games unless the per player limit was 16, we got our share of the expanded revenues and an expanded roster to fit in more players. But that’s just me.

by /zn/
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:I’m not saying they do. I don’t know what the players want. I’m just guessing where the negotiations would go.

If I was a player I would not want 18 games unless the per player limit was 16, we got our share of the expanded revenues and an expanded roster to fit in more players. But that’s just me.

Fair enough. IE that you were just describing your view.

BUT. The league did run something like that by the players and the response was negative.

by dieterbrock
4 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:I;ve not seen a single thing indicating any portion of the players are for it.

I have seen a ton on twitter and in multiple articles resulting from google searches indicating players are against it.

And that’s also false. The players union has turned down every proposal from the owners because they have been one sided and not benefiting the players

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Unfortunately this article is behind the paywall for The Athletic. But you get the idea:

I guess 17 works if you trim the pre season down to 3 games and make one of them a neutral site. There's still the question of roster expansion though.

by moklerman
4 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Good thing we're still only getting 16 games. Making old guys play all of those would have meant losing guys like Brees, Roethlisberger, Newton and even young guys like Barkley...oh wait, I guess we should shorten the season to fewer than 3 games.

• 9 / 9
86 posts Apr 18 2024