by Elvis
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38463  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... bor-talks/

Report: NFL could push for 18-game schedule in labor talks

Posted by Charean Williams on May 29, 2019, 6:54 PM EDT

The NFL could seek an 18-game regular season or an expanded playoff field in a new labor deal, Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports. In return, Maske says, many owners are willing to offer players concessions to the commissioner’s disciplinary authority and to the marijuana policy.

Maske quoted a high-ranking official with one NFL team saying “some owners . . . would like to expand the season” to 18 games but added it’s not clear “if there is much support from the players on that.”

Players have adamantly opposed an expanded schedule, and Giants co-owner John Mara reiterated the NFLPA’s strong stance on that issue as recently as September. Packers CEO Mark Murphy repeatedly has stated his concerns about the impact of more games on the health and safety of players.

The league, though, wants 18 games, especially with legalized gambling on the way, and it now has something to give up in order to create even more revenue.

The NFL and NFLPA announced last week a joint committee will study the use of marijuana by players as a pain-management tool.

The current collective bargaining agreement expires following the 2020 season, and NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith recently sent an email to all agents warning them to prepare for a full-season work stoppage in 2021.

Both sides, though, appear hopeful that a better working relationship than in 2011 could lead to a labor deal before it comes to that.

“I do hope it’s sooner rather than later,” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said at last week’s owners’ meeting, via Maske. “I think there’s great value to all parties, and most importantly our fans, that we get this issue resolved and move forward. But there are important issues to be addressed, and we’re doing that.”

by majik
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1201  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

If the players are adamantly opposed to it and the owners are desperate for it the players should demand their holy grail for the 18-game schedule: Guaranteed Contracts

by dieterbrock
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
Hall of Fame

majik wrote:If the players are adamantly opposed to it and the owners are desperate for it the players should demand their holy grail for the 18-game schedule: Guaranteed Contracts

And then the NFL draft becomes 2 rounds.
And nobody over 30 has a job.
Guaranteed contracts would destroy the nfl.

by aeneas1
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

honestly, as a fan i'm perfectly happy with a 16-game, 17-week regular season schedule, i'm perfectly happy with mcvay's approach to the 4-game preseason schedule, and i definitely do not want to see the postseason field expanded.

by dieterbrock
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:honestly, as a fan i'm perfectly happy with a 16-game, 17-week regular season schedule, i'm perfectly happy with mcvay's approach to the 4-game preseason schedule, and i definitely do not want to see the postseason field expanded.

Here, here.
Don’t know how the league can talk player safety one day, then expanded schedule the next.

by aeneas1
4 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

profootballtalk wrote:The league, though, wants 18 games, especially with legalized gambling on the way...

so the nfl plans to operate its own book (yeah, right)? not sure what "legalized gambling" has to do with the discussion?

by Elvis
4 years 10 months ago
Administrator

If they go to guaranteed contracts, they're gonna be for less money. There's still a salary cap after all.

I'm on board with the 18 games and 2 less preseason. They could get rid of preseason altogether and i'd be fine with that.

As for the gambling, i'm sure the NFL is gonna try and figure out how to get in on the action, an integrity fee, and if they pull it off, more betting on games would mean more revenue for the NFL...

by Zen_Ronin
4 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2038  
Canada   Edmonton, AB
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:If they go to guaranteed contracts, they're gonna be for less money. There's still a salary cap after all.

I'm on board with the 18 games and 2 less preseason. They could get rid of preseason altogether and i'd be fine with that.

This.

by Elvis
4 years 10 months ago
Administrator

Prisco says it's coming. I had an idea where they would go 18 games, add a bye week and have one forced week off for every player on the team, probably unworkable and the worst team would always go against a backup QB which would suck for that team's ability to market, but i did have that thought and now Prisco is suggesting something similar...

by aeneas1
4 years 10 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:As for the gambling, i'm sure the NFL is gonna try and figure out how to get in on the action, an integrity fee, and if they pull it off, more betting on games would mean more revenue for the NFL...

strikes me as an insurmountable conflict of interest.

not sure i follow this, so your starting qb will play with a backup left tackle when your healthy left tackle is taking his day off?

• 1 / 9
86 posts Apr 20 2024