86 posts
  • 6 / 9
 by aeneas1
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

ha ha, kind of ironic, owners probably think 18 games isn't a stretch because of iron men like london fletcher who played in every game throughout his stellar 16-year career... damn, what a friggin' helluva ball player, i loved that dude, how the rams ever let him walk is beyond me, four consecutive pro bowls at age 34-37, mama mia...

Elvis wrote:

by Elvis
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

aeneas1 wrote:ha ha, kind of ironic, owners probably think 18 games isn't a stretch because of iron men like london fletcher who played in every game throughout his stellar 16-year career... damn, what a friggin' helluva ball player, i loved that dude, how the rams ever let him walk is beyond me, four consecutive pro bowls at age 34-37, mama mia...

Jamie Duncan had it covered...

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

If I’m a players union rep my response to the 18 game contract is to demand the elimination of the franchise tag, 100% guaranteed contracts and some other nuggets that the owners would never give back.

by /zn/
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Peter King, from https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... eter-king/

The 18-game schedule is nowhere near a reality. I heard that one or two teams are interested in what the Wall Street Journal reported Thursday the NFL has proposed discussing with the players as part of the CBA talks: an 18-game regular-season schedule, with each player eligible to play a maximum of 16 games. This is not a new idea—it’s been thrown around at league meetings as one idea to expand the inventory and enrich the league’s TV deals for years.

“I can’t see it,” one plugged-in club official told me.

I’ve always thought in an era when the reduction of head trauma is job one in everything the league does, the only way the NFL could even consider 18 games is with teams playing players a maximum of 16 weeks. But the details make it too hard. How would a team divvy up the starts, say, for the starting offensive line? Would they figure the starting tackles should play every week with the starting quarterback, and thus doom the backup in his two games to a run-for-your-life offensive scheme?

The continued pursuit—or the continuing broaching—of an 18-game schedule is such a short-sighted and greedy thing. The NFL paid each team $275 million out of the league share of total revenue in 2018, and teams paid about $215 million annually in player costs (cap plus benefits). After that, teams can reap major raw profits over what they did in local team revenue.

Someone in the NFL seems determined to kill the most golden of geese by pursuing, even in a passing way, this stupid idea. Greed, in this case, is not good.

Fans don’t want 18 games either. I put out a Twitter poll Saturday and Sunday, asking if readers preferred a 16 or 18-game schedule. Of 13,533 voters, 79 percent said 16. Great comment from a Vikings fan, Jason Altland: “If I pay out the nose for decent tickets in Baltimore or New York to see my Vikings, I want to see all the healthy stars play. I don’t want to pay and end up with a [Stefon] Diggs or {Adam] Thielen bye game.”

Pro Football Talk also polled its readers over the weekend about the 16/18-game idea, with more options than I offered … and 62 percent said they favored 16 games—with 8 percent saying they favored 18 with a maximum of 16 games per player per season.

==

more

==

Damien Woody@damienwoody
The NFL should go to 2 preseason games. Most teams go into training camp pretty much knowing who’s making the 53. Teams are scrimmaging each other more so you actually get better tape of players on the fence

Geoff Schwartz@geoffschwartz
For the record I’m strongly against 18 games in any form unless significant concessions are made from the owners, which won’t happen

I’ve been hammering this for years when I can. The idea of “battling for roster spots” in the preseason is greatly exaggerated. Teams know 46-48 spots entering camp.

TheIronman@LFletcher59
NFL players are already struggling to make it through a 16 game season, added more games would lead to more short-term and long-term injuries. The owners don’t get that because it’s easy to be tough with someone else’s body. #NFL #18games

Geoff Schwartz@geoffschwartz
18 games has always been on the table. I think the 18 games w/players only allowed to play 16 idea was floated to see the reaction to the idea which was universally negative.

by ramsfan1977
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   1319  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

I don't want an 18 game schedule for 2 reasons:
1. I do not want anyone breaking Dickerson's 2105
2. I do not want my Sunday ticket price increased... :D

by Mr. Sparkle
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   952  
United States of America   Orange County Ca.
Veteran

ramsfan1977 wrote:I don't want an 18 game schedule for 2 reasons:
1. I do not want anyone breaking Dickerson's 2105
2. I do not want my Sunday ticket price increased... :D

Actually, if you want ED's record safe, you would want the 18 game season. Then no one will even get the chance to break it.

For example, you know who still has the record for most yards rushed in a single 14 game season? O.J. Simpson. And I bet that record will be his till the day he dies.

by St. Loser Fan
4 years 9 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Mr. Sparkle wrote:For example, you know who still has the record for most yards rushed in a single 14 game season? O.J. Simpson. And I bet that record will be his till the day he dies.

Somebody will take a stab at it.

by dieterbrock
4 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Mr. Sparkle wrote:Actually, if you want ED's record safe, you would want the 18 game season. Then no one will even get the chance to break it.

For example, you know who still has the record for most yards rushed in a single 14 game season? O.J. Simpson. And I bet that record will be his till the day he dies.

Except the NFL record is 2,105. OJ’s “record” is merely a trivia question

• 6 / 9
86 posts Apr 19 2024