14 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by JackPMiller
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

https://clutchpoints.com/what-does-xavi ... UrVfGCeJtQ

What does Xavien Howard’s contract mean for Rams’ corner Marcus Peters?
by Skyler Carlin
May 11, 2019

The Miami Dolphins decided to secure Xavien Howard long-term by signing him to a record-setting extension. One player who is likely smiling ear-to-ear after seeing what Howard received is Marcus Peters.

The Dolphins gave Howard a five-year, $76.5 million extension with $46 million guaranteed. Howard becomes the highest-paid cornerback in the NFL after three seasons with the Dolphins.

Howard was the 38th overall pick in the 2016 NFL Draft. In the last two seasons, Howard has become one of the best cornerbacks in the NFL with 11 interceptions and 25 pass deflections in the two seasons combined.

So how does Howard’s new deal affect someone like Marcus Peters? Peters is heading into the last year of his rookie deal with the Los Angeles Rams.

Of course, Peters was traded to the Rams last offseason from the Kansas City Chiefs. Howard’s new extension definitely complicates things for the Rams moving forward.

Last season, Peters was very inconsistent on defense, especially when Aqib Talib was out with an ankle injury. Peters was tasked to be the number one cornerback while Talib was out and he struggled mightily.

Before that though, Peters was moving along nicely with Talib on the other side of the field. Peters began the 2018 season with a bang, as he took a Derek Carr pass for six to help Los Angeles get their first win.

The first couple of weeks, the Rams boasted one of the best secondaries, allowing nearly nothing to get past them.

In Weeks 1 and 2 combined, the Rams secondary only allowed 12 receptions for 98 yards to opposing wide receivers. The duo of Peters and Talib were dominating together as Wade Phillips envisioned.

Although, in Week 3, Peters’ running mate suffered an ankle injury against the Los Angeles Chargers. Talib would be out until Week 13.

While Talib was out, the Rams’ pass defense was noticeably worse with Peters as the number one cornerback. One of his most notable performances came against the New Orleans Saints in Week 9.

The playmaking cornerback was given the gaudy task of covering Michael Thomas. It’s arguable if Peters even covered Thomas once in that game.

The Saints elite wideout ended the game with 12 receptions for 211 yards and a touchdown. The lone touchdown came at an inopportune time, as Thomas took it 72 yards down the field against Peters to seal the game.

The Rams’ cornerback still shows flashes of his potential to be a top cornerback. But he made way too many negative plays in 2018 to warrant an extension just yet.

Peters ended the year strong, but that wasn’t until Talib returned to the field. It seemed as if Peters relied upon Talib being active for him to perform well.

If that’s indeed the case, then Los Angeles shouldn’t be wary of signing Peters to a long-term extension just yet. Especially when the Rams need to worry about paying Jared Goff very soon.

To say the least, the upcoming season is an important one for Peters and the Rams. The Rams should absolutely pay Peters if he improves his game in the right direction.

If not, then the Rams drafted David Long out of Michigan to be his eventual replacement. Also, Talib is a free agent in 2020, so the Rams have a couple of decisions to make in their secondary after 2019.

Regardless of where Peters plays after 2019, he’s going to likely become one of the highest-paid cornerbacks in the NFL after Howard’s new extension with the Dolphins. Peters should personally thank the Dolphins cornerback for raising his price tag even more.

by BobCarl
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
Superstar

Peters hasn't played up to par with an elite contract.

Peters is on a one-year prove-it "that he is not locker room cancer " deal

by AvengerRam
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:Peters hasn't played up to par with an elite contract.

Peters is on a one-year prove-it "that he is not locker room cancer " deal

I'm not aware of any locker room issues with Peters in Los Angeles.

I think the question with Peters is whether his poor start of the season was the result of the way they were using him, or if he's just not the player we thought we were getting. The jury's still out, in my opinion.

As for Howard's price... I think it could lead the Rams, should they decide that keeping Peters is a priority, to use the franchise tag. The franchise tag price for a CB this year was $16M. That's not much more than Howard is getting per year. The Rams might (as they did with Fowler) be willing to pay a bit more to maintain cap flexibility.

by Elvis
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Bob you're just mad about this:

If Peters has a pro bowl like year in 2019 we probably won't be able to afford him and if he doesn't, we probably won't want him, weird conundrum...

by PARAM
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:I think the question with Peters is whether his poor start of the season was the result of the way they were using him, or if he's just not the player we thought we were getting. The jury's still out, in my opinion.

I think we all fail to remember he was also injured last season. Around the same time Talib got hurt. He played through the injury (an ankle IIRC) and that may have had some affect on his performance. Of course the significant difference seemed when they went to more zone and Talib came back but the injury played a part also IMHO.

Elvis wrote:f Peters has a pro bowl like year in 2019 we probably won't be able to afford him and if he doesn't, we probably won't want him, weird conundrum...

Yeah but there are ways to keep him if we really want him. Otherwise, David Long may be into the mix by 2020. And we could always use that 2020 first round pick to draft (or trade for) a CB.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

First a disclosure: I do not find Marcus Hey,CheckOutMyCrotch! Peters' personality overly endearing. If he is not a locker room cancer yet, my suspicion is that strong Ram leadership vets like Whit, Talib, Saffold (now gone) sat on MP and kept him from being a locker room malignancy.

That said, he played well after Aqib Talib came back from his injury...especially in the SuperBowl, I thought MP looked pretty good patrolling Los Ramos defensive backfield in Atlanta. :idea2:

Depending on his play in 2019, we can cut him, trade him, franchise him, extend him for 2020 & beyond.....did I miss anything? ;)

Finally, maybe the guy matures and starts acting like an adult.....and maybe even a leader. Didn't Marcus Peters just become a father a few months ago?? Stranger things have happened to formerly selfish guys after they realize ACTUALLY what "an obligation is" when it's staring back at THEM. :idea2: :arrow2: :!2:

At the present time I am spending about as much time worrying about Marcus Peters' address in 2020, as I am fretting about Elizabeth Lie-awatha Warren becoming the next POTUS. :roll2: :arrow2: :lol2:

by PARAM
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Finally, maybe the guy matures and starts acting like an adult.....and maybe even a leader. Didn't Marcus Peters just become a father a few months ago?? Stranger things have happened to formerly selfish guys after they realize ACTUALLY what "an obligation is" when it's staring back at THEM. :idea2: :arrow2: :!2:

He just turned 26 in January. That might not have been as young when we were 26 but times change. We can't have a team full of the same personalities (Spagnuolo tried to feed us that pill....er.) but as long as the goal is the same I can deal with a little flair. As far as his play, he only had 3 picks after having 19 over his first 3 years. Maybe the first half of the season Wade tried to make the player fit the scheme and then in the second half of the season he made the scheme fit the player? I'd love to see him get back up to the interception pace he was on in KC. Just for shits and giggles, I'll wait till he's played a second year in Wade's system before I become ambivalent towards his address.

by BobCarl
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
Superstar

PARAM wrote:he only had 3 picks after having 19 .

a pick is more exciting than a sack ... nevertheless, keeping oneself in position to help the team force a three-and-out could happen way more often than 6 or 7 times a season.

I'd rather force the three-and-outs ... sadly that can't be measured.

I trust Wade Phillips scheme ... now we need Peters to trust his scheme ... hopefully after 2018 he will.

by CanuckRightWinger
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Hey PA.....if you read my missive, I wrote that we could Franchise Peters, or even extend him for 2020.....depending on how well he plays in 2019.

In my best Andrew Dice Clay....
"Yo, PA....if the Peters fooker plays good this season, then let's keep him around....
but if he shytes the bed, let's move on from the fooker! An dats alls I am sayin'!"

back to ME: Peters play in 2019 will determine his future, if any, with Los Ramos post-2019. Hence my Alfred E.Newman "What, Me Worry?" attitude regarding Marcus Peters future address as conveyed in my line on Elizabeth DancesWithOccupy Warren's chances of ending up living on "your Street".....ie. PENNSYLVANIA AVENUE!! ;) :arrow2: :lol2:

Cheers from Vancouver BC!

• 1 / 2
14 posts Apr 19 2024