73 posts
  • 8 / 8
 by max
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

No doubt, Snead has done a very nice job recently, although we shouldn't count our chickens with last years draft just yet.

Since moving back to LA, the Rams drafted 25 players (not including last month). How many of them have we seen to be true difference makers? Certainly, Goff, Kupp, and Johnson.

Outside of those 3 guys, we have some nice role players / decent players. But IMO no one else has proven themselves to be more than that just yet.

Out of the rest of those 25 picks maybe Noteboom shows that he's a high quality OL. Everett is frustrating for me, I expected him to show more by now, but its been mostly special flashes then back to pedestrian. Reynolds is a good backup, but he's not a quality starter, certainly not at this point. I don't know whats missing but he seems to be the anti-Kupp; More physically talented but not the same head for the game. Ebukam isn't a good OLB, he just doesn't get enough pressure. I'm not a big Allen guy, maybe he'll be a decent C but I like my OL not to be that small. The rest of the guys are bland at best, busts at worst.

by max
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Ebukam is an average LB. Pass rush is his biggest weakness.. but he does a solid job, overall.
JFM was good as a rotational lineman in his rookie year.
We’ll see on Allen.
Reynolds is good. He’s not a top line starter, but he’s more than fine as part of a 3wr group. His production is good.. heck, he even had 5 tds.
Everett is good. Don’t confuse opportunity with performance. He did some really good things last year.
We’ll know a lot more this year, for sure.
But.. if they keep hitting in the 3rd round the way they did in 17 & that we seem to believe they did in 18... they’re going to be in great shape.

IMO, Snead's best find was drafting Johnson. I don't recall anyone raving about that pick. I do recall media experts dismissing the pick. He certainly didn't look great at the combine, running a 4.6, but he's athletic enough, smooth enough, he won't blow people up, but he's smart as a whip. The Rams are gonna have to pay this guy.

by PARAM
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

max wrote:IMO, Snead's best find was drafting Johnson. I don't recall anyone raving about that pick. I do recall media experts dismissing the pick. He certainly didn't look great at the combine, running a 4.6, but he's athletic enough, smooth enough, he won't blow people up, but he's smart as a whip. The Rams are gonna have to pay this guy.

They going to have to pay a lot of players! That's what happens when you go 24-8, play 4 postseason games and end up in the Superbowl. Sure you didn't win it. Bummer. But that's proof you're a talented team. And like the Sean McVay affect, there's the 'part of a great team' affect with players.

As far as this, same thing...

Max wrote:Snead has done a very nice job recently, although we shouldn't count our chickens with last years draft just yet.

Since moving back to LA, the Rams drafted 25 players (not including last month). How many of them have we seen to be true difference makers? Certainly, Goff, Kupp, and Johnson.

Outside of those 3 guys, we have some nice role players / decent players. But IMO no one else has proven themselves to be more than that just yet.

Out of the rest of those 25 picks maybe Noteboom shows that he's a high quality OL. Everett is frustrating for me, I expected him to show more by now, but its been mostly special flashes then back to pedestrian. Reynolds is a good backup, but he's not a quality starter, certainly not at this point. I don't know whats missing but he seems to be the anti-Kupp; More physically talented but not the same head for the game. Ebukam isn't a good OLB, he just doesn't get enough pressure. I'm not a big Allen guy, maybe he'll be a decent C but I like my OL not to be that small. The rest of the guys are bland at best, busts at worst.

When you're a 24-8 team, you don't need a lot of draft picks or UDFA's to break into the lineup. You've already got that covered. Snead drafted 25 player since the Rams moved to L.A.. Higbee does yeoman duty at TE in BOTH the run game and pass game. Pharoh Cooper was a pro bowl returner but that's about all. They did get a pick for him, even if it was lower than what they spent to get him, they did get a pick for him when he wasn't much more than a returner. Reynolds could get a nice deal from somebody in need of receiving talent, mainly because he was a productive receiver in place of Kupp. Not Kupp and not OBJ money but more than we might want to pay. Because he performed on a great offense and like Dick84 pointed out, scored 5 TDs, tied with Cook 1 behind team leaders Kupp and Woods (in receiving TDs). Ebukam wasn't a difference maker but he did show a nose for a loose ball, even scoring a time or two. He could improve or move to ILB.

Franklin-Myers has shown flashes. Noteboom, Allen, Kiser and probably Gaines from this years draft are going to get a nice opportunity to be a difference maker. How about if a couple of them make that a reality? Or more? There's more hits. Of course we don't know what will happen and that goes for Okoronkwo, Demby, Joseph-Day and Smart. Plus we have this year's class of which some experts think Rupp and Henderson will be solid contributors. Maybe a special team's demon in Scott or Allen. But that's what you're looking for when you're a 24-8 team. You don't need 7 starters like a 4-12 team (which we know quite well). Then you hope even a 6th or 7th rounder can be a surprise Jim Thorpe.

So Snead hasn't brought in 12 starters via the draft. He didn't need to but it's nice when they take a year and develop into productive starters. In the meantime he used draft picks for Cooks, Peters and Talib so he brought in at least 3 difference makers in 2018 plus the draft picks (Kupp, JJ, Goff) that are already that. Whitworth, Blythe, Robey-Coleman and Woods came in via UFA/FA route in 2017. Suh last year. Weddle, Matthews and re-upping Fowler for a full year this year.

I'd say Snead (and McVay) has done well. And if some of those guys they are promoting prove to be good moves that's even better.

• 8 / 8
73 posts Apr 16 2024