12 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by aeneas1
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

here's a look at the percentage of snaps each teams #1 rb played and each team's top 3 wr played in 2018.

so, for example, the rams #1 back (gurley) played 75% of the offensive snaps while the rams top 3 wr (woods, cooks and reynolds) played 80% of the offensive snaps - combined, these 4 guys played 78.8% of the rams offensive snaps which is 27% higher than the league average of 63.2%.

had gurley and kupp not missed action the rams' percentages would have been even higher - in short, if you're a top offensive skill position player for mcvay's rams, you see the field, a lot.

so is this a good thing or unnecessary wear and tear? you obviously want your best players on the field, but is there such a thing as too much?

VirtualBox_2019-05-10_15-37-46.png

by BobCarl
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

I hope McVay doesn't think that the 11-personnel is the magic beans of the NFL. If so, he will fade into non-existence just like the "My Sharona" one hit wonder song of 1979 did.

Teams will find ways to shut the 11 personnel down (If you don't believe me just ask the Patriots)

But I don't think McVay is that stupid.

I think McVay has been great at taking the players he was dealt, and exploiting their strengths vs the defenses that they go up against.

McVay didn't draft Gurley .... McVay didn't draft Goff ... yet McVay found a way to make both of these players VERY successful.

Given Gurley, and given Goff ... McVay needs a certain types of WR's ... he doesn't need prima donnas like Crabtree and Watkins ... he needs WR's like Cooks, Kupp, and Woods.

In Washington, McVay was fucking brilliant in how he used the TE ... Is he a failure now because his TE's haven't put up "impressive" numbers? </rhteorical>

No, I don't think McVay is a one-hit TE-based offense wonder ... and I don't think that McVay is a one-hit 11-personal wonder either.

I think McVay is an offensive genius that will make the best out of playing the cards he is dealt.

But here is the challenge with McVay ... how that he is becoming more responsible for who is on the team.

Will McVay be as successful with HIS players as he has been with Jay Gruden's and Jeff Fisher's players?

by aeneas1
4 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Unless I'm mistaken, they've actually already mentioned the need to not be so "11" dependent.. and to get more personnel worked in, specifically, Henderson.

exactly, and when snead/mcvay discussed their plans for henderson, they mentioned he would also be able to spell wr given the rams ability to line him up in a lot of different locations as a ball catcher.

but of course 11-personnel doesn't necessarily dictate player usage, players could see a lot of the field in 12 groups as well for example, in fact mcvay could have ran the same league-leading % of 11 groups as he did last year without using the same 4 players so often.

if you look at the top 3 players each team used last season(1 rb, 2 wr), the rams still come out on top in terms of the same 3 guys who, combined, saw a larger % of snaps than any other team's top 3 guys.

so it comes down to, it seems, a balance between having your best players on the field as much as possible while not running them into the ground. enter henderson.

by Elvis
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38450  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Snead talking about Henderson in Kamara terms in the latest Behind The Grind.

Here's some Vinny from his chat:

As of right now that is the plan. But we'll have to see where Gurley is physically and how quickly Henderson picks things up before carries/playing time etc...etc..really gets sorted out

They really like what Henderson brings to the table, and how Sean McVay can cook up ways to deploy him. The goal was to become a little bit more diviersified while also providing coverage for Todd and his knee. It's going to be fascinating to see how they end up using him, though.

I'm excited about Henderson too but he has to be able to learn the offense and do all the stuff he might be asked to, could be a bit of a learning curve for him. Hopefully he's got some Cooper Kupp like skills in that regard...

by aeneas1
4 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:Teams will find ways to shut the 11 personnel down (If you don't believe me just ask the Patriots).

the thing with personnel groups is they're not a one-size fits all proposition, i mean you can have a gazillion different formations, motions, looks, plays, from 11-personnel... what the patriots did extremely well was have an answer for mcvay's love for bunched, inside the numbers, wr formations, just watch what happens to reynolds on the rams first offensive drive of the sb, he got his clock cleaned.

anyway, gonna be interesting to see what the rams roll out on offense in 2019!

by aeneas1
4 years 11 months ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Yes... Henderson could take reps from Gurley and all the receivers.
But... I'd expect more from Reynolds as well. I'd say he earned it.

hard to see reynolds cutting much into wood and cooks time on the field, we'll see.

by BobCarl
4 years 11 months ago
Superstar

aeneas1 wrote:gonna be interesting to see what the rams roll out on offense in 2019!

for sure!

by Claremontram
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   226  
Rookie

Bob:

McVay has the knack.

by BobCarl
4 years 11 months ago
Superstar

Claremontram wrote:McVay has the knack.
Well played.

by Flash
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1205  
United States of America   Houston
Pro Bowl

BobCarl wrote:I hope McVay doesn't think that the 11-personnel is the magic beans of the NFL. If so, he will fade into non-existence just like the "My Sharona" one hit wonder song of 1979 did.

Teams will find ways to shut the 11 personnel down (If you don't believe me just ask the Patriots)

I think McVay has been great at taking the players he was dealt, and exploiting their strengths vs the defenses that they go up against.

McVay didn't draft Gurley .... McVay didn't draft Goff ... yet McVay found a way to make both of these players VERY successful.

Given Gurley, and given Goff ... McVay needs a certain types of WR's ... he doesn't need prima donnas like Crabtree and Watkins ... he needs WR's like Cooks, Kupp, and Woods.

In Washington, McVay was fucking brilliant in how he used the TE ... Is he a failure now because his TE's haven't put up "impressive" numbers? </rhteorical>

No, I don't think McVay is a one-hit TE-based offense wonder ... and I don't think that McVay is a one-hit 11-personal wonder either.

I think McVay is an offensive genius that will make the best out of playing the cards he is dealt.

But here is the challenge with McVay ... how that he is becoming more responsible for who is on the team.

Will McVay be as successful with HIS players as he has been with Jay Gruden's and Jeff Fisher's players?

Are you forgetting about the smash hit Good Girls Don't?

• 1 / 2
12 posts Apr 18 2024