6 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by AvengerRam
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Let's look at the defensive units, post-draft...

Defensive Line: Worse/???
On paper, it would be tough to argue against the conclusion that the departure of Ndamukong Suh, particularly the version we saw in the playoffs, will result in a downgrade of the DL. I do, however, think there is some uncertainty/hope for improvement based upon fit. A guy like Greg Gaines (and his backup, Sebastian Joseph-Day) might be a better fit than Suh at the NT spot when it comes to run defense. I feel as though, at least during the regular season, Suh might have tried too hard to play like Aaron Donald, as opposed to clogging the middle against the run. I think the hope is to have guys like Gaines and Joseph-Day do more dirty work and seek less glory, to the benefit of the run defense overall. That's my hope, anyway.

Linebackers: Better
The only departures are Mark Barron who, though effective at times, had trouble staying on the field, and Ramik Wilson, who (apart from a big special teams play against Green Bay) was "just a guy." Added to the mix is Clay Matthews, who could provide some play making ability both inside and out. Additionally, second-year players Micah Kiser and Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, who I believe have potential, will be bigger factors. Finally, we have the benefit of Dante Fowler being past the learning curve and fully integrated in the defense. I expect good things from this unit.

Defensive Backs: Better
This one is easy. Lamarcus Joyner, who was a disappointment as a franchise tag FS last year, is gone. In his place is Eric Weddle, who is simply a better player. We've also added promising young talent in Taylor Rapp and David Long. Finally, I believe that Marcus Peters, used properly from day 1, will have a much better year in 2019 than he did in 2018. This is one of the stronger and deeper units on the team.

by PARAM
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

It is easier to look at the offense and say, same or better. The D? That's a tough one. Do Matthews and Weddle have enough left to matter? Is Obo a legit Edge rusher? Can Ebukam play inside linebacker? Will Rapp give us what Barron did at LB or will he be in the safety rotation? Will Brockers move inside or will Gaines earn that job? (My money is on Gaines with Brockers moving inside on passing downs.) Will the zebras tape a penalty flag to the back of Robey-Coleman's jersey? Too many questions to get even close to a reasonable assessment.

by snackdaddy
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Honestly, the way the defense played during the regular season last year, I can't see that being worse. The playoff defense is another thing though. I think the improvements in the secondary will help offset the possible downgrade on the line. We might see better coverage which should give the line a little more time to get pressure.

Its not so much losses and additions. Its the growth of certain returning players that could make the defense better. A full camp with a more confident Fowler could see him being that edge rusher the Jags thought they were getting when they drafted him. Another year for Littleton and Ebukam should help. With a true nose tackle maybe Brockers will return to form? Lets not forget how well Peters played when he finally stopped pressing receivers.

I have a feeling our defense might be better during the regular season. We'll have to wait and see if the playoffs are the same.

by rams74
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1471  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Dick84 wrote:I think this is a completely reasonable and thorough take.
Fowler getting more comfortable, Matthews addition, growth of young guys like JFM, Joseph-Day, Obo and Ebukam need to be allowed for as well.
If the young guys take a big step up? The D takes a big step up.

Man, those are a lot of ifs. The thing is, the defense doesn't have to be worse to still be a concern. I'm concerned about the pass rush. I'm concerned about the run defense. Those areas MUST be better.

The addition of Suh did not make the Rams' D-line the dominant force that we expected, either against the run OR the pass. And that's with the NFL DPOY on that line.

by rams74
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1471  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Dick84 wrote:It was DAMN good in the playoffs.
Not okay, not good, not dominant.... but DAMN good.

Ok, sure. They were as good as that. Certainly, the defense played well enough to win the Super Bowl.

I sure hope you're all right about all those ifs. Because if the Rams' defense ever becomes dominant, then I don't think anybody could stop this team.

by azramsfan93
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   1492  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

snackdaddy wrote:Honestly, the way the defense played during the regular season last year, I can't see that being worse. The playoff defense is another thing though. I think the improvements in the secondary will help offset the possible downgrade on the line. We might see better coverage which should give the line a little more time to get pressure.

Its not so much losses and additions. Its the growth of certain returning players that could make the defense better. A full camp with a more confident Fowler could see him being that edge rusher the Jags thought they were getting when they drafted him. Another year for Littleton and Ebukam should help. With a true nose tackle maybe Brockers will return to form? Lets not forget how well Peters played when he finally stopped pressing receivers.

I have a feeling our defense might be better during the regular season. We'll have to wait and see if the playoffs are the same.

Good take. I have high hopes for Gaines at NT. Suh seemed to play the matador run defense for a vast majority of his regular season snaps. At the start of the playoffs I thought he was the single largest disappointment on the defense. Of course, he turned it on during the playoffs.

I expect the toughness of the the middle of our D versus the run to vastly improve with Gaines and Kiser.

• 1 / 1
6 posts Apr 18 2024