34 posts
  • 3 / 4
 by Hacksaw
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

In the video, there weren't as many highlights from the SB and Aint's game but they were good ones..

by moklerman
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:You have got to be kidding me!!!
Why? Gurley still has ability but I think it looks like he's down a tick. What's so unbelievable about that? The lack of production, the lack of touches...he wasn't as good overall down the stretch as he's been in the past.

That this video has a variety of 4 and 5 yard nothing plays sort of illustrates the dropoff.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:Why? Gurley still has ability but I think it looks like he's down a tick. What's so unbelievable about that? The lack of production, the lack of touches...he wasn't as good overall down the stretch as he's been in the past.

That this video has a variety of 4 and 5 yard nothing plays sort of illustrates the dropoff.

A dropoff from when exactly?

He's played 2 games since he posted a 16 carry, 115 yard, 1 TD performance against the NFC East Champions. A month before that, he had 124 yard from scrimmage against the Eagles. Two weeks before that, he had 165 yards from scrimmage and 2 TDs against the Lions.

I've heard of "what have you done for me lately," but this is ridiculous.

by aeneas1
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:IMO, that doesn't look like the same Gurley. Good, but not other-worldly like most of '16 and early '17.

2016 was the worst year of gurley's career, by far, just 3.2 yards per carry, runs of 10+ yards at a rate of every 16.4 carries (which is horrible), but that strikes you as "other-worldly"?

AvengerRam wrote:A dropoff from when exactly?

He's played 2 games since he posted a 16 carry, 115 yard, 1 TD performance against the NFC East Champions. A month before that, he had 124 yard from scrimmage against the Eagles. Two weeks before that, he had 165 yards from scrimmage and 2 TDs against the Lions.

all of this gurley stuff has taken on a life of its on, and it's indeed an example of the "what have you done for me lately" mentality imo.

watching the highlight vid (btw, i don't think most posting here watched it, according to vimeo stats, where the vid is hosted, it's onlly been played 4 times), gurley can be seen running hard, throughout the games, in the super bowl highlight portion of the vid he's a bat out of hell on a 3rd quarter run, when he drills chung and breaks his arm.

gurley had just 4 rush attempts against the saints, and just 10 against the pats, while splitting snaps with cj ... if you want to see fireworks from gurley, or most great rb, you have to typically feed him the ball, here are gurley's big run rates (10+ yards) per season played:

2015 - per 8.81 carries
2016 - per 16.35 carries
2017 - per 7.34 carries
2018 - per 7.31 carries

you give the guy the ball 4 times in a game, or 10 times in a game, what exactly do fans expect? team gurley/cj lit up the cowboys, it was beautiful, mcvay decided to ride that horse against the saints and pats as far as i can tell, and it just didn't work out.

by moklerman
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:A dropoff from when exactly?

If you're trying to say that the Gurley of the playoff run looks no different and is just as good as he's ever been, then I don't know what I could say to bridge that difference of opinion.

by moklerman
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:2016 was the worst year of gurley's career, by far, just 3.2 yards per carry, runs of 10+ yards at a rate of every 16.4 carries (which is horrible), but that strikes you as "other-worldly"?
You're right, I put the wrong years. '17 and '18 is what I meant. The McVay years.

aeneas1 wrote:all of this gurley stuff has taken on a life of its on, and it's indeed an example the "what have you done for me lately" mentality.

watching the highlight vid (btw, i don't think most posting here watched it, according to vimeo stats, where the vid is hosted, it's onlly been played 4 times), gurley can be seen running hard, throughout the games, in the super bowl highlight portion of the vid he's a bat out of hell on a 3rd quarter run, when he drills chung and breaks his arm.

gurley had just 4 rush attempts against the saints, and just 10 against the pats, while splitting snaps with cj ... if you want to see fireworks from gurley, or most great rb, you have to typically feed him the ball, here are gurley's big run rates (10+ yards) per season played:

2015 - per 8.81 carries
2016 - per 16.35 carries
2017 - per 7.34 carries
2018 - per 7.31 carries

you give the guy the ball 4 times in a game, or 10 times in a game, what exactly do fans expect? team gurley/cj lit up the cowboys, it was beautiful, mcvay decided to ride that horse against the saints and pats as far as i can tell, and it just didn't work out.
I agree with all of that. So, what was his explosive play rate during the playoff stretch? Is it reasonable to assume that Gurley was 100% and just not used?

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:If you're trying to say that the Gurley of the playoff run looks no different and is just as good as he's ever been, then I don't know what I could say to bridge that difference of opinion.

Did he have the three best games of his career in the 2018-19 playoffs? No.

Did he look like a RB who has suffered a "dropoff" that concerns me going forward? No.

by moklerman
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Did he have the three best games of his career in the 2018-19 playoffs? No.

Did he look like a RB who has suffered a "dropoff" that concerns me going forward? No.
It's all relative though. A dropoff from elite doesn't take much. That doesn't mean that he was ineffective or worse, but I believe he wasn't at 100%.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:It's all relative though. A dropoff from elite doesn't take much. That doesn't mean that he was ineffective or worse, but I believe he wasn't at 100%.

I think we need to define the term "dropoff." To me, it denotes a downward trend that is irreversible. If that is not your meaning, then perhaps this is more a miscommunication than a disagreement. If you that is your meaning, I disagree.

by moklerman
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:I think we need to define the term "dropoff." To me, it denotes a downward trend that is irreversible. If that is not your meaning, then perhaps this is more a miscommunication than a disagreement. If you that is your meaning, I disagree.
The argument of this thread is that there is nothing wrong with Gurley and he looked like his regular self during the playoff run. That concerns about him are unfounded and that the video supports that idea.

I don't agree that the video does that. For a 3 game stretch there were very few highlights and some of the ones that were used were barely highlight worthy, if at all. Along with everyone else, I hope Gurley is fine but this particular video doesn't illustrate that to me. He doesn't look as explosive to me as he has in recent years even though he still had a couple of big plays.

While it's true that his opportunities were decreased I think that's part of the concern. I don't believe McVay would have just not used Gurley without reason. The playoffs weren't the first time that teams tried to take Gurley away so I'm not inclined to believe that he just got schemed out of using him.

Throughout the playoffs I felt like Gurley just didn't have that something extra. That last gear that made him an MVP contender since McVay arrived. I could be wrong of course. It's very subjective but that video doesn't show to me that Gurley was just fine.

• 3 / 4
34 posts May 26 2024