19 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by Hacksaw
5 years 2 days ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

No matter what round, the Rams need a stout o-line or they will most likely not be as successful. Great teams control the LOS. Bad teams don't for the most part.

BTW, @Neil039 ,, is that Orin Hatch invading Bidens 'personal space'? Too funny.

by CanuckRightWinger
5 years 2 days ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

I concur with Hacksaw....
IE. if the 2019 Los Ramos have a suspect OLine, we will not be returning to the Big Dance in February 2020!!! :idea2: :arrow2: :!2:

Offensive X's and O's are critical parts of the modern NFL game to be sure.....but you still need the stud OLine Jimmys & Joes to execute the plays against tough NFL Defenses. Even with veterans Saffold and Sullivan entrenched all season long in 2018, the Bears, Eagles, and Patriots manhandled us.......heII .....even the hapless Lions D gave our OLine fits for most of that game in Motown!!! :idea2:

Assuming we stay put at #31, if the Rams braintrust want a stud run-stuffer to replace Suh with the #31st pick, sobeit.....or an Edge guy?....okay by me! :idea2:

BUT, somewhere, at some point, we need some reinforcements on the OLine. Los Ramos have cut our former GB backup OT Kyle Murphy (2016 GB 6th Rounder from Stanford) whom I was hopeful about.....so now we have SF castoff Darrel Williams as our backup OT???!!! :roll2: Yeah, McVay's X's and O's better have some fooking fairy dust on them if we have to go into battle with that former 49er placeholder!! :x

Listen, we can laud OL Coach Kromer as the Greatest OLine Reclamation Artist Of ALL TIME......I mean, look.....Kromer is the genius who gave us Austin Blythe.....woo-hoo!! Kromer got our OLine to be voted Best OLine of 2018....woo-hoo!!! But in the biggest football game of every Rams players' lives.....what did our 32 points per game Offense serve up in Atlanta, huh???!!! :oops2:
NINE PUNTS, FOUR SACKS AND 3 POINTS!!! :roll2: THREE POINTS!! :evil2:
.....and Blythe played like shit!

Here's a thought.....what if 38 year old Andrew DueForANick-Up Whitworth has an Aqib Talib type boo-boo and misses 10 or 11 games this season?? Are the Rams still gonna coast into a 2019 First Round Playoff Bye???
Are Los Ramos still even gonna be the NFC West Champs??? :?
....because if LG Joe Noteboom is our backup LT.....who is our backup LG?

Bottomline: At ER we have Dante Fowler, Samson Ebukam & Clay Mathews....all 2018 NFL starters. Not bad.
At CB we have former ProBowl vets Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters signed up for 2019, with Troy Hill, Hatfield and Peterson as backups. Not bad.
At NT, we potentially have Brockers beefing-up and coming back to his old position, with Telvin Smart from Tulane and Sebastian from Rutgers backing him up. Not bad.
At OLine, we have 38 year old Whitworth at LT, playing next to a novice LG, who is a converted College LT Noteboom, playing next to a barely 300 lb Michigan State Spartan semi-rookie, playing next to Austin PatriotMalcolmBrownAteMyLunch! Blythe, playing next to the (finally) only solid returning guy on the OLine at RT, Havenstein.
Oh and BTW....The backups are JAGs....sorry Professor Kromer! :o

To build on the success of the 2017//2018 Rams seasons, and keep this McVay juggernaut going.......help is urgently needed on Los Ramos OLine. Period. Full Stop.

As always....JMO.

by R4L
5 years 2 days ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

CanuckRightWinger wrote:I concur with Hacksaw....
IE. if the 2019 Los Ramos have a suspect OLine, we will not be returning to the Big Dance in February 2020!!! :idea2: :arrow2: :!2:

Offensive X's and O's are critical parts of the modern NFL game to be sure.....but you still need the stud OLine Jimmys & Joes to execute the plays against tough NFL Defenses. Even with veterans Saffold and Sullivan entrenched all season long in 2018, the Bears, Eagles, and Patriots manhandled us.......heII .....even the hapless Lions D gave our OLine fits for most of that game in Motown!!! :idea2:

Assuming we stay put at #31, if the Rams braintrust want a stud run-stuffer to replace Suh with the #31st pick, sobeit.....or an Edge guy?....okay by me! :idea2:

BUT, somewhere, at some point, we need some reinforcements on the OLine. Los Ramos have cut our former GB backup OT Kyle Murphy (2016 GB 6th Rounder from Stanford) whom I was hopeful about.....so now we have SF castoff Darrel Williams as our backup OT???!!! :roll2: Yeah, McVay's X's and O's better have some fooking fairy dust on them if we have to go into battle with that former 49er placeholder!! :x

Listen, we can laud OL Coach Kromer as the Greatest OLine Reclamation Artist Of ALL TIME......I mean, look.....Kromer is the genius who gave us Austin Blythe.....woo-hoo!! Kromer got our OLine to be voted Best OLine of 2018....woo-hoo!!! But in the biggest football game of every Rams players' lives.....what did our 32 points per game Offense serve up in Atlanta, huh???!!! :oops2:
NINE PUNTS, FOUR SACKS AND 3 POINTS!!! :roll2: THREE POINTS!! :evil2:
.....and Blythe played like shit!

Here's a thought.....what if 38 year old Andrew DueForANick-Up Whitworth has an Aqib Talib type boo-boo and misses 10 or 11 games this season?? Are the Rams still gonna coast into a 2019 First Round Playoff Bye???
Are Los Ramos still even gonna be the NFC West Champs??? :?
....because if LG Joe Noteboom is our backup LT.....who is our backup LG?

Bottomline: At ER we have Dante Fowler, Samson Ebukam & Clay Mathews....all 2018 NFL starters. Not bad.
At CB we have former ProBowl vets Aqib Talib and Marcus Peters signed up for 2019, with Troy Hill, Hatfield and Peterson as backups. Not bad.
At NT, we potentially have Brockers beefing-up and coming back to his old position, with Telvin Smart from Tulane and Sebastian from Rutgers backing him up. Not bad.
At OLine, we have 38 year old Whitworth at LT, playing next to a novice LG, who is a converted College LT Noteboom, playing next to a barely 300 lb Michigan State Spartan semi-rookie, playing next to Austin PatriotMalcolmBrownAteMyLunch! Blythe, playing next to the (finally) only solid returning guy on the OLine at RT, Havenstein.
Oh and BTW....The backups are JAGs....sorry Professor Kromer! :o

To build on the success of the 2017//2018 Rams seasons, and keep this McVay juggernaut going.......help is urgently needed on Los Ramos OLine. Period. Full Stop.

As always....JMO.

These are my worries as well. Good post my Canadian friend.

by aeneas1
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

how do you tell if it's an oline prob or an x/o prob?

i think capable offenses run a much greater risk of defenses catching onto their schemes, figuring out what they're trying to do, than coming up short in offensive line talent.... i mean you can have the studliest oline in the league, but it's meaningless if you don't have the skill position players or a scheme that continues to fool the bad guys, just ask the browns, they've fielded one of the highest rated olines for many years. no one is pushing the the other guys around anymore.

in fact last year the chiefs owned the 13th ranked oline per pff, yet they absolutely lit up the scoreboard - the browns owned the 2nd stoutest oline but 15 teams averaged more offensive points per game. the chargers' oline ranked 30th yet the bolts ranked 6th in offensive scoring and could have probably beat the pats in the divisional round had their defense come to play.

i guess my point is, the rams are a long way from fielding a bad or mediocre oline as far as i can tell, instead my question is can mcvay keep defenses guessing, can he continue to develop as a head coach and enter each game with a great scheme, or have a contingency plan, or adjust, should the scheme not go according to plan.

by safer
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

I prefer Dline at 31, BUT, I'm confident that our staff, after watching Allen vs. Suh in numerous practice scrums have a pretty damn good idea just how Allen and Noteboom will/would do vs. stud Dlinemen-----they practiced vs. Aaron D and Suh, for God's sake!
That being said, IF we go with a stud olineman at #31, I'm thinking they have good reason to do so. IF, they think both Allen and Noteboom are solid as starters, them I'd bet we go D/E or NT, and then go after Oline depth and lber in the 3rd.
Either way, I'll trust the guys that got us to this point, eh?

by CanuckRightWinger
5 years 1 day ago
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

There have been 53 SuperBowls played in history.
Many have been blowouts...ask the Bills, or the Patriot Team that had to line-up against the 1985 Bears!

But even considering the blowouts.....it was our Rams who scored the fewest points of any SB loser IN HISTORY (ok, Tie with 1971 Dolphins).
Good thing Zuerlein ate his Wheaties that day so his successful 53 yarder saved us from being the only SB Loser to be goose-egged!!! :?

With all due respect aeneas1...and I DO mean that sincerely...
At the end of the day, I guess I am just not willing to shrug-off our pathetic Offensive performance with "oh well, McVay got outcoached...it happens."

Our D played like warriors....very physical. Held Bellicheck/Brady to 3 points deep into the 4th Quarter. Stellar performance. You hold Brady to 13 points....you need to win those games 10 times out of ten, dammit!! :x

AND...Guys don't get pushed around anymore? Doesn't our own Aaron Donald push guys around??
THE PATS PUSHED OUR OLINE AROUND....BIG TIME!!!
NINE FUCKING PUNTS??!! WE COULDN'T GRIND OUT A FEW FIRST DOWNS???!!! :x
Total Rams Rushing Yds....62 yds
3.4 yds/carry
4 QB Sacks on Goff
12 QB Hits on Goff
Resulting in 57.9 QB Rating//13.5 QBR
7 (SEVEN) TFL!!!
The above smacks of our OLine being out-toughed at the LOS by the Patriot D.

You know, I used to think, that pound for pound, that Rodger JimBrown'sPal Saffold was our toughest OLineman.
Yet McSnead let him walk....in his prime years. That told me something.

Last Word: OLine is our weakest unit going into this Draft. JMO.

by Neil039
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   2664  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Hacksaw wrote:BTW, @Neil039 ,, is that Orin Hatch invading Bidens 'personal space'? Too funny.

It’s Biden on Biden crime lol.
I was going to go with Todd Gurly’s knee as an avatar but this picture was just too funny for me to pass on.

by aeneas1
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:There have been 53 SuperBowls played in history.
Many have been blowouts...ask the Bills, or the Patriot Team that had to line-up against the 1985 Bears!

But even considering the blowouts.....it was our Rams who scored the fewest points of any SB loser IN HISTORY (ok, Tie with 1971 Dolphins).

always good my friend, just football talk!

but i really don't get your take, it's as if you're saying that because of the super bowl, that one game, the rams have issues with their oline? as if you believe that there's such a thing as an oline that never "appears" to have an off day, that always dominates (i say "appears" because imo olines unfairly get blamed far too often for offensive bad showings).

the highest scoring offense since 1978 (when the league moved to a 16-game schedule) belonging to the 2013 broncos and soon to be first ballot hall of famer peyton manning, was held to just 8 points in the super bowl - was their downfall their oline? doesn't matter what that record-setting offense did up until that point in the year, they had a suspect oline so they got creamed in the super bowl?

the high-scoring 1999 gost rams put up just 11 in the championship game, on their way to a lombardi trophy, had they lost 11-14 would it have been an oline issue? something that finally caught up to them?

the 2019 rams didn't face the 2013 seahawks defense or the 1999 tampa bay defense, but they faced a guy who will assuredly go down in history as one of the greatest nfl coaches of all time. and i think he showed why last february.

all of that said, who do you think had the best oline last year? or, better put, which of last year's teams do you think had an oline that would have cemented a rams super bowl win had the rams been able to rent it for the day?

by CanuckRightWinger
5 years 1 day ago
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Well aeneas1, if you put me on the spot to pick one OLine that could've sunk Bellicheck's Patriots, I guess I would answer, per the team that actually had the 2018 Playoff Pats beat :shock2:
…..but for a one foot misstep:

KC Chiefs OLine.

….which OLine per ESPN's "KC Roster", displays a unit festooned with 1st and 2nd Round Draft Picks. :o Who knew???!! ;) :arrow2: :lol2:

Kidding aside.....I too hope we can find OLine studs in lower rounds and even as UDFAs.....BUT,
where ever Snead finds them, the weakest unit on the 2019 Roster so far is the OLine and it needs stellar reinforcements who can play now, and prevent Jared Goff from getting Bulgerized. :idea2:

Goff can be VikingsMagnificent when he gets his due protection.....
but Goff can also be Bears/PatsStinky when doesn't. :idea2:

I think we all agree on the need to protect our young QB.
We are just discussing where to find those protective bodies!
Personally, I like what the Colts did with that nasty OG they drafted early in the First Round. Not saying he single-handedly transformed the 2018 Colts from the dumpster fire they were the year before in 2017 under Pagano.....but he sure helped!

Many have argued how Adam Timmerman's contribution to the emergence of the 1999 GSOT Rams was very much underestimated.

We'll see soon how Snead deals with our OLine personnel deficiencies eh! ;)

Cheers from rainy Vancouver.

• 2 / 2
19 posts Apr 19 2024