41 posts
  • 3 / 5
 by snackdaddy
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... endingNews

Entering the final year of his rookie deal, former first-overall pick Jared Goff is in line for a mega-extension sometime in the next 23 months.

Despite the recent record-breaking deal handed out to division rival signal-caller Russell Wilson, the Los Angeles Rams quarterback said this week that he is not thinking about his contract situation as offseason workouts commence.

"Not on my mind at all," Goff told reporters, per the Los Angeles Times. "I know the deal and understand that I hired an agent for that reason, and things always work out. You continue to play well, it will work itself out."

Goff is among a quartet of young signal-callers who could earn big money over the next two seasons. Dak Prescott's contract expires after the 2019 season. So does Carson Wentz's, though Philly should exercise his fifth-year option. Patrick Mahomes is rumored to become the first $200 million quarterback when his deal is negotiated.

Los Angeles is expected to exercise Goff's fifth-year option before it offers any extension to the fourth-year quarterback. Under that option, Goff would make over $20 million guaranteed for injury in 2020, a steep raise from $4.3 million in 2019, per Spotrac. The deadline to place the option on Goff is May 3.

When Goff gets his extension, it will be the latest in a slew of large contracts handed out by Los Angeles over the past nine months. Aaron Donald (six years, $135M in August), Brandin Cooks (five years, $81M in July) and Todd Gurley (four years, $60M in July) all cashed in before the Rams' NFC title season. Next up are Goff and cornerback Marcus Peters.

There is no apparent timeline for an extension, however. NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported in late March that it is unlikely the team will extend Goff before the start of the season.

As Rams coach Sean McVay put it at last month's Annual League Meeting, "Whether it happens this year, next year, those are things we haven't really gotten into in depth about yet."

On the forefront of Goff and the Rams' minds is bouncing back from last year's disappointing finish. Securing their franchise quarterback for the foreseeable future can wait.

by dieterbrock
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:How often does a team with a QB on their rookie contract win the SB?

Russell Wilson?

by Elvis
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38439  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

dieterbrock wrote:Russell Wilson?

Tom Brady too, but really i don't think there are very many, certainly not enough to call it a blue print...

by dieterbrock
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Tom Brady too, but really i don't think there are very many, certainly not enough to call it a blue print...

Definitely not a blueprint, also considering that the “rookie contract” really didn’t begin until 2011

by BobCarl
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   4295  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Should we let the 27 teams that pick in front of us know for sure that we will or will not pick a QB in the draft?

I like the idea of keeping as much smoke and mirrors in play as possible.

by Elvis
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   38439  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Yardbrker working from this Klein article:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/rams/la- ... story.html

Rams draft analysis: Pick could be groomed to replace Blake Bortles

By GARY KLEIN
APR 19, 2019 | 4:10 PM

As the Rams prepare for the NFL draft, The Times will examine their roster. Part 7 of 8: Quarterbacks.

Big money is eventually coming his way, but when Rams quarterback Jared Goff reported for offseason workouts last week, he said he was not thinking about his contract situation.

“Not on my mind at all,” said Goff, who is preparing for his fourth NFL season. “I know the deal and understand that I hired an agent for that reason, and things always work out. You continue to play well, it will work itself out.”

Sometime before the NFL’s May 3 deadline to exercise options, the Rams will employ their fifth-year option on Goff — the first pick in the 2016 NFL draft — guaranteeing him a 2020 salary of more than $20 million. And before he plays that season, he could receive a massive extension.

Goff is due to earn a base salary of $4.3 million this season and carries a salary cap number of $8.9 million, according to overthecap.com.

NFL teams have the option of adding a fifth year to first-round rookie contracts after a player’s third season. The fifth year is guaranteed for injury. Players selected with the first through 10th picks can earn a fifth-year salary that is the average of the 10 highest salaries at their position.

Goff and Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, the No. 2 pick in the 2016 draft, are represented by the same firm. Both are expected to be impacted by the recent extension the Seattle Seahawks gave quarterback Russell Wilson. His four-year, $140-million extension included $107 million in guarantees.

Goff, who helped lead the Rams to a Super Bowl appearance this past season, enters the year with an experienced backup. Blake Bortles, seeking an opportunity to learn from coach Sean McVay, signed a one-year, $1-million contract with the Rams after the Jacksonville Jaguars released him in March.

Bortles passed for 103 touchdowns, with 75 interceptions, in five seasons with the Jaguars. During the 2017 season, he led them to the AFC championship game.

After he signed with the Rams, Bortles said he was looking forward to working with Goff. The quarterbacks have been friends for a few years, Goff said.

“I would imagine he’s kind of excited for the role and to be there and, hopefully, help me,” Goff said. “And I’m excited to continue to grow with him and work together.”

Under contract for 2019: Jared Goff ($8.9 million), Blake Bortles ($1 million), Brandon Allen ($645,000), John Wolford ($495,000).

Free agents: Sean Mannion, a third-round pick by the Rams in 2015, signed with the Minnesota Vikings. Bortles could not wait to join the Rams, and the team was happy to welcome a player who can play for a bargain rate because the Jaguars reportedly owed him $6.5 million.

Draft: Bortles is only expected to be with the Rams for one season, so McVay will possibly take a shot at a quarterback who can be groomed.

Roster decisions: The Rams will extend Goff at some point before or after the 2019 season. Wolford played in college at Wake Forest and most recently in the defunct Alliance of American Football.

NEXT: Running backs.

by AltiTude Ram
4 years 11 months ago
 Total posts:   2178  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

I'm glad the Rams brought in Bortles.

I'm in no way saying he's a plug and play replacement for Goff. I do like that he provides not only a good option but just having him on the roster provides leverage for the Rams.

Goff will get paid but having a quality QB on the bench lessons the need to break the bank. I hope Goff gives the Rams a home town discount but having a quality starter behind him should help with negotiations from a Rams perspective.

• 3 / 5
41 posts Apr 16 2024