84 posts
  • 5 / 9
 by AvengerRam
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

TomSlick wrote:Very cool. The 2nd picture, I assume to be the white hawk, looks like you are at the same level as his nest. How did you get that angle since I would think the nest would be high up?

Ah... now you want my trade secrets, huh? :D

The second photo is actually an osprey. The nest was built on a platform (there are many here in Florida built to accommodate their nests). I took the photo from the roof of a four story parking garage across the street. So, as you surmised, I was at eye level.

by Hacksaw
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Flogging. A perfect way to screw up a beautiful walk in the park.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 day ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Flog.

????

by Elvis
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

AvengerRam wrote:Ah... now you want my trade secrets, huh? :D

The second photo is actually an osprey. The nest was built on a platform (there are many here in Florida built to accommodate their nests). I took the photo from the roof of a four story parking garage across the street. So, as you surmised, I was at eye level.

What kind of lens are you working with?

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 day ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:What kind of lens are you working with?

The photos attached were taken with a Sigma 150-500 or a Nikkor 55-300. My Nikkor recently died and I replaced it with a Tamron 18-400, which should provide me with a lot of versatility in the field without having to switch lenses.

At this point in my life, my job prevents me from really honing my photography skills. I'd call myself an intermediate level hobbyist right now... which is just fine.... gives me something to aspire to when I finally retire.

by Hacksaw
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

AvengerRam wrote:????

Many times, thats what it feels like.
It's golf backwards.

flog
/fläɡ/

verb
beat (someone) with a whip or stick as punishment or torture.

by Elvis
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

AvengerRam wrote:The photos attached were taken with a Sigma 150-500 or a Nikkor 55-300. My Nikkor recently died and I replaced it with a Tamron 18-400, which should provide me with a lot of versatility in the field without having to switch lenses.

At this point in my life, my job prevents me from really honing my photography skills. I'd call myself an intermediate level hobbyist right now... which is just fine.... gives me something to aspire to when I finally retire.

Very nice. Had a bird nest in our backyard last year, took some pics with my d3400 and Nikkon 70-300 lens (which is my setup for camp). Posted a few here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8110&p=121738#p120872

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 day ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Very nice. Had a bird nest in our backyard last year, took some pics with my d3400 and Nikkon 70-300 lens (which is my setup for camp). Posted a few here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8110&p=121738#p120872

Very nice! House finches (in case you had not already IDed them).

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 day ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Many times, thats what it feels like.
It's golf backwards.

flog
/fläɡ/

verb
beat (someone) with a whip or stick as punishment or torture.

Ah... missed that one. Most of my golf knowledge comes from Caddyshack.

by aeneas1
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:I take shots of a different type...

great stuff, beautiful shots!

i live in birder country, we have the institute for bird populations and the point reyes bird observatory next door, both do incredible, indispensable bird population and migration work... in fact when i first started my biz i roasted coffee, used only certified shade grown organic beans from around the world, which took me down an ornithology path of my own, loved it.

anyway, we get tons of birders in my neck of the woods (point reyes national seashore) - watchers, photographers, filmers, painters, institute volunteers, etc., etc., and anyone that sees them enjoying their passion can't help but be taken in.

• 5 / 9
84 posts Apr 17 2024