102 posts
  • 1 / 11
 by AvengerRam
5 years 4 days ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Today, Sean McVay was quoted as saying that Todd Gurley will be the focal point of the Rams' offense in 2019.

Almost immediately, people reacted with doubt. Here's a perfect example:

@Rich_Hammond
The problem here is, this basically is what he said before the Super Bowl. And then…

My question is, when McVay (or Les Snead) says something about the team, do you trust that you're being told the truth?

For me, it depends. If a coach (or GM) is asked to reveal something that, if revealed, might contrary to the team's strategic interests, I expect the response to be... shall we say, less than forthcoming.

For example, if McVay or Snead is asked in the next two weeks about their draft plans, I don't expect them to say "we really want to fill the NT spot and the guy we really want is...." That would be absurd. Instead, expect the tap dance of "we feel good about where we are and will let the draft come to us" or something of that nature.

When it comes to Gurley, I'd expect full candor if his situation was clear cut (i.e. a broken bone, torn ACL). On the other hand, with ongoing/intermittent/potentially chronic knee swelling/pain of a varying degrees of severity (aka arthritis, generally), I'd expect a bit more hedging, both on the eve of a big game and during the offseason. So, to the extent that we're not getting the whole story, I don't feel as though McVay or Snead is being untrustworthy.

So, I guess what I'm saying is... I still trust them to be straight with me as a fan, when it is the teams' best interest. That works for me.

by SWAdude
5 years 4 days ago
 Total posts:   2440  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

This makes the above more clear to me.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300000 ... ur-offense

Questions about Todd Gurley's knee issue that stretched into the playoffs have lingered all offseason, leaving us to ponder how the Los Angeles Rams would utilize the running back moving forward.

Despite whispers that the Rams might try to curtail Gurley's workload, coach Sean McVay said Friday on The Rich Eisen Show that the All-Pro running back will continue to be the center of the offense.

"You can expect Todd to be a focal point of our offense going forward," McVay told Eisen. "He's in a good place, he's feeling good and will continue to be a central piece of our offense and I don't see that changing."

McVay's response appears to answer the query Les Snead posited during the NFL Scouting Combine in February when the GM suggested Gurley's workload might need to be monitored moving forward.

It's no surprise McVay would insist Gurley remain the centerpiece of the offense. As a dynamic runner, threat out of the backfield as a pass-catcher and goal line hammer, Gurley is a preeminent running back threat when healthy.

Still, managing his workload more delicately in 2019 seems like a prudent move. Through his first four seasons, Gurley has handled 1,042 carries in the regular season alone. Compare that to two other prominent running backs from his draft class: Melvin Gordon (897) and David Johnson (687). Gurley's 1,229 touches over 58 career regular-season games give him an average of 21.2 touches per tilt.

McVay wouldn't have to relegate Gurley to a complementary weapon in the offense to monitor his workload. Given the knee issue appears like it's one that could pop up at any moment, shaving a few reps and allowing the running back a few more respites each game could work just as well.

After the Rams handed Gurley the largest contract in the NFL for a running back, there was never a real question about whether he would remain the focal point of an offense that makes headlines for its passing attack, but at its core is a run-focused, play-action assault.

The biggest question is how Gurley's leg will hold up over the course of 16 games. It's one we might not have a hard answer to until January.

by TomSlick
5 years 4 days ago
 Total posts:   2908  
Italy   Many of us know the feeling of the universe conspiring to bring car and driver together.
Superstar

AvengerRam wrote:So, I guess what I'm saying is... I still trust them to be straight with me as a fan, when it is the teams' best interest. That works for me.

Concur. Snead/McVay do what is best for the RAMS. I don't need to know the inside scoop if that is going to make them less successful on the field.

by /zn/
5 years 4 days ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

SWAdude wrote:McVay wouldn't have to relegate Gurley to a complementary weapon in the offense to monitor his workload. Given the knee issue appears like it's one that could pop up at any moment, shaving a few reps and allowing the running back a few more respites each game could work just as well.

After the Rams handed Gurley the largest contract in the NFL for a running back, there was never a real question about whether he would remain the focal point of an offense that makes headlines for its passing attack, but at its core is a run-focused, play-action assault.

The biggest question is how Gurley's leg will hold up over the course of 16 games. It's one we might not have a hard answer to until January.

That does make sense.

by /zn/
5 years 3 days ago
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Makes perfect sense... but still doesn't answer my question.

Well the article caught my eye. That's what I responded to. Threads are open-ended things. They take on a life of their own.

As to your question. Do I trust Snead and/or McVay? Within reason. It was the same with Vermeil.

by Elvis
5 years 3 days ago
 Total posts:   38439  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

From Kroenke to Demoff to Snead to McVay to Goff, i'm 100% down with this team, from top to bottom.

But i still think something's hinky with this Gurley situation. The words don't match the actions, what's coming in through my ears doesn't match what's coming in through my eyes, IMO. I'm fine with that. And i also realize i could be wrong, that things could be exactly as they say they are. It just seems unlikely.

But like i said, in either case i'm fine with it...

by /zn/
5 years 3 days ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:From Kroenke to Demoff to Snead to McVay to Goff, i'm 100% down with this team, from top to bottom.

But i still think something's hinky with this Gurley situation. The words don't match the actions, what's coming in through my ears doesn't match what's coming in through my eyes, IMO. I'm fine with that. And i also realize i could be wrong, that things could be exactly as they say they are. It just seems unlikely.

But like i said, in either case i'm fine with it...

Myles Simmons@MylesASimmons
On @RichEisenShow, #LARams HC Sean McVay says on RB Todd Gurley, “You can expect him to be the focal point of our offense” going forward, when asked about if Gurley will be on more of a pitch count in 2019.
Rich Hammond@Rich_Hammond
The problem here is, this basically is what he said before the Super Bowl. And then…

This issue still hasn’t fully been addressed on a transparent level.

(This is not directed at Myles, FYI.)

The thing is, from a competitive standpoint, the Rams probably don’t want to say how they will use Gurley in 2019. And they probably shouldn’t say it. But this little two-step that’s been going on since December is…eh.

by Rams1PlateSince1976
5 years 3 days ago
 Total posts:   2077  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

As far as you know I trust what they say.

For the good of the team there should be some ambiguity in almost anything they say publicly that could be used against us.

• 1 / 11
102 posts Apr 16 2024