102 posts
  • 7 / 11
 by /zn/
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

AltiTude Ram wrote:Shaking my head as to why this is still challenged. :roll2:

Well you want to find out why? Or are you just stuck in preconceptions about the discussion?

For one thing, nothing in that vid gets challenged. That's because McVay did not say anything new. He certainly didn't take back his statement from the season that "from the amount of work that he’s had, there’s been wear and tear on that knee." Saying that was honest too though if anyone is ignoring anything, it's that.

I have a long post with a lot of quotes and a response to that vid. You can have an honest discussion and read that and respond in civil terms. Or be seduced into the personalized quip fest, which ignores the issues.

But a lot of people see this differently than you do. If you want to know why, give it a shot. Nothing to lose after all. 8-)

by AltiTude Ram
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   2178  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

/zn/ wrote:Well you want to find out why? Or are you just stuck in preconceptions about the discussion?

For one thing, nothing in that vid gets challenged. That's because McVay did not say anything new. He certainly didn't take back his statement from the season that "from the amount of work that he’s had, there’s been wear and tear on that knee." Saying that was honest too though if anyone is ignoring anything, it's that.

I have a long post with a lot of quotes and a response to that vid. You can have an honest discussion and read that and respond in civil terms. Or be seduced into the personalized quip fest, which ignores the issues.

But a lot of people see this differently than you do. If you want to know why, give it a shot. Nothing to lose after all. 8-)

Nothing new is about the only thing you get right. McVay has been consistent and honest with his response to this issue.

In fact he was quoted before the Super bowl saying he expected Gurley to have a great game. He's explained the lack of production in both the NFC Championship game and the Super bowl.

There's really nothing nothing more to this unless you think he's not being honest about the situation.

The latest interview posted above again shows his confidence in Gurley. Saying Gurley will be the focal point of the offense and expecting nothing but the best from him game 1.

McVay isn't giving coach speak or dodging questions because of competitve advantages. To use his own words again, he's real,genuine and authentic.

You're entitled to think there is more to it.

I like to get information from the horse's mouth instead of the horse's ass.

by HighRoller
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   291  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

AvengerRam wrote:Today, Sean McVay was quoted as saying that Todd Gurley will be the focal point of the Rams' offense in 2019.

Almost immediately, people reacted with doubt. Here's a perfect example:

My question is, when McVay (or Les Snead) says something about the team, do you trust that you're being told the truth?

For me, it depends. If a coach (or GM) is asked to reveal something that, if revealed, might contrary to the team's strategic interests, I expect the response to be... shall we say, less than forthcoming.

For example, if McVay or Snead is asked in the next two weeks about their draft plans, I don't expect them to say "we really want to fill the NT spot and the guy we really want is...." That would be absurd. Instead, expect the tap dance of "we feel good about where we are and will let the draft come to us" or something of that nature.

When it comes to Gurley, I'd expect full candor if his situation was clear cut (i.e. a broken bone, torn ACL). On the other hand, with ongoing/intermittent/potentially chronic knee swelling/pain of a varying degrees of severity (aka arthritis, generally), I'd expect a bit more hedging, both on the eve of a big game and during the offseason. So, to the extent that we're not getting the whole story, I don't feel as though McVay or Snead is being untrustworthy.

So, I guess what I'm saying is... I still trust them to be straight with me as a fan, when it is the teams' best interest. That works for me.

You ask a question with an answer. You really are not interested in considering any other answer because you have already made up your mind.

I really don't understand the point of this thread.

by /zn/
5 years 1 day ago
Hall of Fame

AltiTude Ram wrote:Nothing new is about the only thing you get right. McVay has been consistent and honest with his response to this issue.

In fact he was quoted before the Super bowl saying he expected Gurley to have a great game. He's explained the lack of production in both the NFC Championship game and the Super bowl.

There's really nothing nothing more to this unless you think he's not being honest about the situation.

The latest interview posted above again shows his confidence in Gurley. Saying Gurley will be the focal point of the offense and expecting nothing but the best from him game 1.

McVay isn't giving coach speak or dodging questions because of competitve advantages. To use his own words again, he's real,genuine and authentic.

You're entitled to think there is more to it.

I like to get information from the horse's mouth instead of the horse's ass.

Well he has been consistent. To say he has been honest could only mean you know what actually happened with TG's knee, and no one outside the team knows that. And in fact it's not an issue--over and over in this thread people said they do not expect a team to be honest about everything. This whole "honesty" thing is a false issue.

To repeat, that's both because we can't know what the condition of the knee is, and because as pretty much everyone agrees we do not expect a team to be open about everything. So defending McVay's "honesty" on this issue is beside the point in 2 different ways.

If TG has an underlying condition in his knee that can act up again, and I were the coach, I would not advertize it. I wouldn't want to tempt defenders into throwing themselves at the knee.

Now. Why can't you and I say for absolute certain that there is no underlying condition in the knee? Because we do not know. McVay certainly has never said the opposite. He never says, no the knee is fine, that's not a future concern, it was a one time thing that will not come back. He didn't say that and he can't say that. Plus, the knee flared up in both September and December. It could not have been just "wear and tear" in September and if it was, then, he entered the season with a vulnerable knee...and nothing during the season would have made it less vulnerable longterm. That seems to point to an underlying condition of some kind. Something they have to manage because it can come back.

My list of quotations include McVay and Snead. It's their own words that keep this issue open.

McVay says TG's fine now ("now" meaning the off-season) and no one disputes that or questions it. If his knee acts up in September then settles down enough for him to play until it acts up again in December, then, I doubt anyone would dispute the idea that 3 months of rest without football contact would settle it down again.

But they do say he got banged up. They do mention wear and tear. Even leaving arthritis out of it, that's just not likely to be a one and done issue with a surgically repaired knee. It happened twice in one season, once bad enough for him to miss 2 games, and nothing they have ever said about this even tries to claim it won't happen again. Instead it's obvious they are acting like they think it can happen again, which is why all the talk about managing his carries next year.

You may like to get information from the horse's mouth but you will never in the forseeable future hear the real reason TG's knee acted up twice in one season. You won't hear it from the team anyway. They don't want to say--except to mention generic wear and tear, which is a safe answer--so we will not hear anything about it. (And it may actually be the real answer but then we have no way of knowing that.) By league rules they don't HAVE TO say anything about an underlying condition like a surgically repaired knee that (for whatever reason) acts up. It's not like hiding an injury--injuries have to be reported. This doesn't.

by aeneas1
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Well he has been consistent. To say he has been honest could only mean you know what actually happened with TG's knee, and no one outside the team knows that.

coming from the guy who pointed to a quote by cj anderson as proof that gurley's knee was in rough shape during the postseason run, not knowing that the cj quote was actually from when he first joined the rams and was asked about replacing gurley for a spell, well before the postseason play began - in fact cj had to explain the timing of his quote to like-minded knuckleheads and spell it out, as you would to a small child, that his statement wasn't made during the "...playoffs when he (Gurley) returned and was healthy."

in short, we're left with you being eager to believe what cj had to say about gurley's health (setting aside for the moment that you were entirely befuddled by the timing of his comment), but you struggle with what mcvay has to say on the subject.

you can't make this shit up.

/zn/ wrote:He had inflammation, in fact a couple of episodes of it. CJ directly commented on problems with his knee.

:lol2:

by aeneas1
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

AltiTude Ram wrote:The latest interview posted above again shows his confidence in Gurley. Saying Gurley will be the focal point of the offense and expecting nothing but the best from him game 1.

and that's what's so confusing... throughout the interview mcvay acts like gurley was fine in the cowboys game, saints game, super bowl, offers some examples, explains the lack of opportunities, and talks about how gurley will play a major role in the 2019 season.... it's just so bizarre, his double-talk, his cryptic comments, his vagueness, what's he really up to? what's his game?

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

HighRoller wrote:You ask a question with an answer. You really are not interested in considering any other answer because you have already made up your mind.

I really don't understand the point of this thread.

I expressed my opinion AND solicited the opinions of others. It’s called “starting a discussion.” Try it sometime.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 day ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Guys like Hammond, Bonsignore, Klein, etc? Of course they're professionals. That's pretty obvious.

Well...they’re paid, so I guess they’re “professionals” as opposed to amateurs. Whether they have qualifications and conduct themselves in a manner that befits a true profession...well, that’s debatable.
And besides no one has said that the Rams have offered misinformation or said something that isn't true.

It makes me sad when you call yourself “no one.” You should have more confidence.

I have not seen anything in the press that actually and really qualifies as someone directly calling the Rams "liars." Seems to me that it's a little hyperbolic to claim the press is saying that.

Nobody said they called anyone a “liar,” Captain Strawman.

by /zn/
5 years 1 day ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:coming from the guy who pointed to a quote by cj anderson as proof that gurley's knee was in rough shape during the postseason run,

Well you just made that.up. 8-) In that quotation, CJ is talking about when they sat Gurley during the season. That would have nothing to do with whether he could play after Dallas. And whether he could play again after Dallas would tell us nothing about the future. After all he could play again after Oakland, yet whatever it was flared up again in December. So all Anderson really says is that it was worse than they thought at first in December.

This is how real arguments work. You don't try to get in a little slam and make it personal. You address the actual issues, in direct ways. Trying to go ad hominem and "discredit the other guy" with quips just avoids that. Especially when your quip isn't based on anything.

by /zn/
5 years 1 day ago
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:and that's what's so confusing... throughout the interview mcvay acts like gurley was fine in the cowboys game, saints game, super bowl, offers some examples, explains the lack of opportunities, and talks about how gurley will play a major role in the 2019 season.... it's just so bizarre, his double-talk, his cryptic comments, his vagueness, what's he really up to? what's his game?

Is anyone here disputing he could play in the post-season? Where? Quote them.

Whatever his condition is, he had flare-ups twice. In September and then December. Both times he came back from it and played again. After Oakland, he really wasn't good in game 2, but he was back again by game 3 and then for a long stretch. (In December, McVay said the September thing was a similar situation.) In December, they sat him. Then after some rest he was playing again in the post-season.

So that's twice. Now--what causes 2 flare-ups on a surgical knee, several weeks apart? Whatever it was, we know it wasn't an injury and we know it's not structural. They did an MRI. What was it, what caused it, and can it or will it return? Was it just a freak thing in 2018, or is there some kind of underlying physical issue? They called it wear and tear (which is a little odd since it flared up in game 1.) After the season, they talked about watching his reps and playing time.

So all we know is that something comes and goes but he can still play after down time. But there's some uncertainty at some level because a surgical knee flaring up twice in a season probably means some kind of underlying thing is going on.

No one has said anything any different from that. Including McVay. Though McVay and the rest of the team have avoided being very detailed about whatever it is.

I don't know what will happen, but, I think it's a safe bet that they will monitor him next year, and scale back how much he plays and practices, and probably not by a huge percentage. But they will have an eye on this.

And none of that is new. We've known it since January.

• 7 / 11
102 posts Apr 15 2024