47 posts
  • 3 / 5
 by ramsman34
5 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8522  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

AltiTude Ram wrote:I could be wrong but I remember it differently.

Illegal contact was already a rule but became a point of emphasis shortly after that game and is regularly called in today's game.

I honestly think the refs let them play and get away with too much in the playoffs/Superbowl. Just call it the same as the regular season. JMO

You might just be correct the 5 yard rule came to be in 1978 . it was just loosely enforced forever. I can't find any rule changes after 2002 SB, but point of emphasis surely happened.

Maybe we didn't deserve to be in the SB this year? Maybe we would have won it? IF, penalties were called that should have been. Yet, they were not.

by JackPMiller
5 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

I think the owners should do the same for facemask penalties as well. We all know the series before, for the no call on Goff with the facemask.

by PARAM
5 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12242  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:You might just be correct the 5 yard rule came to be in 1978 . it was just loosely enforced forever. I can't find any rule changes after 2002 SB, but point of emphasis surely happened.

You're correct. It was simply re-emphasized after SB 36. Here's a site that shows the history of NFL rule changes. I don't know how accurate it is though as it doesn't show redefining the "catch" rule after 1999, which Elvis is correct about. It does note that end zone celebrations were restricted to 1 player (after 1999) because of the Bob N Weave. Understandable because fans saw the Rams, as a team, do the Bob N Weave 77 times in 1999 including the postseason!!!! Here's an 'official' rule history by the NFL

by Flash
5 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1205  
United States of America   Houston
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:Coaches voted 32-0 to say they wanted this. With any luck this new rule will find a way to bite the Saints in the ass.

That would be sweet!

by AvengerRam
5 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I feel like poor officiating really put a black mark on last season.

First, the Rams were screwed when the refs failed to call an obvious facemask on Goff against the Saints (likely cost us 4 points).
Then, the Rams were the beneficiaries of a blown call on NRC's pass interference (likely cost the Saints the game).
Then, the Rams were screwed by two bad calls in the Super Bowl (phantom hold on Sullivan, no PI on pass to Cooks at the one yard line).

So... if the rule changes are going to help correct at least some of that (I know they wouldn't reach all those calls), I'm in favor.

by ramsman34
5 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8522  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

AvengerRam wrote:I feel like poor officiating really put a black mark on last season.

First, the Rams were screwed when the refs failed to call an obvious facemask on Goff against the Saints (likely cost us 4 points).
Then, the Rams were the beneficiaries of a blown call on NRC's pass interference (likely cost the Saints the game).
Then, the Rams were screwed by two bad calls in the Super Bowl (phantom hold on Sullivan, no PI on pass to Cooks at the one yard line).

So... if the rule changes are going to help correct at least some of that (I know they wouldn't reach all those calls), I'm in favor.

Pandora's Box potential. But luckily, there are no additional challenges so coaches will have to be very judicious in their use. Hopefully it improves the game.

by Elvis
5 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

ramsman34 wrote:Pandora's Box potential. But luckily, there are no additional challenges so coaches will have to be very judicious in their use. Hopefully it improves the game.

And even though most of us see this as the league giving in to the Saints crybaby whining, the coaches voted 32-0 for this (or something close to it) and the owners voted 31-1 so maybe it will be a good thing.

We're gonna find out...

by rams74
5 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   1471  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

ramsman34 wrote:Pandora's Box potential. But luckily, there are no additional challenges so coaches will have to be very judicious in their use. Hopefully it improves the game.

This is not a good thing. They've crossed the line into reviewing judgment calls. In recent years, officials have allowed a certain amount of contact between receiver and defensive back. But if a replay is looked at with a critical eye, one would have to say that by the letter of the law, the pushing and shoving and pulling and tugging constitutes interference (one way or the other).

I think we're going back to officials ruling interference for almost any contact on pass plays, because they're not going to want to be lambasted publicly for letting anything go that can (and will) be challenged and reversed.

by rather
5 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   349  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

Totally wrong solution. They could have put together a reasonable solution but instead chose to just say "Yep the Saints should have won."

The optics are terrible. So if this rule were in place for the NFCC, the NFL would be saying, obvious facemask on Goff - a player safety issue! - that's OK we missed that, but that DPI, we can't afford to miss that.

Putting aside of course the fact that no one ever gives a crap when the Rams get screwed by the refs.

Just awful solutioning and it will come back to bite them in the same way as this example - a team will get screwed by a call that can't be reviewed just because it happens to be not PI.

• 3 / 5
47 posts Apr 18 2024