47 posts
  • 2 / 5
 by Rams1PlateSince1976
5 years 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2084  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

At this rate it will be flag football in about ten years. Maybe less.

by AvengerRam
5 years 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Coaches voted 32-0 to say they wanted this. With any luck this new rule will find a way to bite the Saints in the ass.

Also:

Definitely PI.

Whatcha gonna do? Sigh.

by /zn/
5 years 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6765  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Under the new PI review rules, Super Bowl LIII could have been very different

Doug Farrar

https://touchdownwire.usatoday.com/2019 ... different/

It’s not surprising that after one of the worst non-calls in playoff annals, the NFL voted 31-1 to expand replay to include pass interference, whether it’s called or not called on the field. (The Bengals were the lone “No” vote).

It’s quite possible that the Saints, and not the Rams, would have played the Patriots in last season’s Super Bowl had Bill Vinovich’s crew called one of the most obvious and missed double penalties in NFL history. Not only did cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman commit pass interference on receiver Tommylee Lewis, he also committed a helmet-to-helmet hit, for which he was later fined over $26,000.

As it turned out, the Rams wound up with a bit of weird officiating karma in the Super Bowl. As Michael Giardi of the NFL Network pointed out, this play in which Patriots cornerback Stephon Gilmore held the arm of receiver Brandin Cooks should have also been pass interference, but it also wasn’t called.

If Rams head coach Sean McVay would have been able to challenge the non-call, and it was proclaimed pass interference, the Rams would have had the ball at the New England one-yard line with a chance to tie the game at 10-10, Just as we will never know what might have happened in the NFC CHampionshup game had the officiating been correct, we’ll never know how that would have changed the outcome of the lowest-scoring Super Bowl ever.

The Patriots won, 13-3, but this was the penultimate play of a drive in which McVay’s team had finally started to get things going on offense. Quarterback Jared Goff threw a pass that Cooks should have had the full opportunity to catch, but that didn’t happen. And on the next play, Gilmore intercepted another Goff pass to Cooks, effectively ending the game with 4:24 left in regulation.

The point of this new rule, of course, is not to re-legislate a championship game or a Super Bowl. It is to ensure, as much as possible, that officiating is correct, leading to an honest result to any football game.

It’s too late for the 2018 Saints and Rams, but hopefully, at least one 2019 team will benefit from a rule change that is long, long overdue.

by AltiTude Ram
5 years 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2180  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:

We can officially call this the "Robey-Coleman" rule.

I still think the face mask on Goff was just as crucial in that game. Not to mention the hands to the face and offensive holding on the PI play.

Funny how I remember very little about the Patriots getting away with penalties in the 2002 Superbowl.

Squeaky wheels get oiled and some other parts get the lube job.

by ramsman34
5 years 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8552  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Elvis wrote:Coaches voted 32-0 to say they wanted this. With any luck this new rule will find a way to bite the Saints in the ass.

Also:

And we would have probably won the game. Don't see us all cryin' like lil bitches; and that was the SUPERBOWL. Fuck the Saints, they have been added to the HATED ONES LIST

whiners
shesquats
patraints
original aints or now the Taints

by ramsman34
5 years 4 weeks ago

AltiTude Ram wrote:We can officially call this the "Robey-Coleman" rule.

I still think the face mask on Goff was just as crucial in that game. Not to mention the hands to the face and offensive holding on the PI play.

Funny how I remember very little about the Patriots getting away with penalties in the 2002 Superbowl.

Squeaky wheels get oiled and some other parts get the lube job.

Actually, I believe the illegal contact rule was voted in and pass interference was tightened up after that game. The game where they held Faulk coming out of the back field damn near every time (called once) and mugged Bruce and Holt after 5 yds almost every single pass play.

by ramsman34
5 years 4 weeks ago

Rams1PlateSince1976 wrote:At this rate it will be flag football in about ten years. Maybe less.

I am coaching middle school flag football. No blocking, no screening, no pressing WRs; its literally like a game of keep away. My QB makes a great "soft" block on a RB cut back run for a TD, and out came the yellow hanky. Ugh. And the defender basically ran into my QB. LOL

by AltiTude Ram
5 years 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   2180  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

ramsman34 wrote:Actually, I believe the illegal contact rule was voted in and pass interference was tightened up after that game. The game where they held Faulk coming out of the back field damn near every time (called once) and mugged Bruce and Holt after 5 yds almost every single pass play.

I could be wrong but I remember it differently.

Illegal contact was already a rule but became a point of emphasis shortly after that game and is regularly called in today's game.

I honestly think the refs let them play and get away with too much in the playoffs/Superbowl. Just call it the same as the regular season. JMO

• 2 / 5
47 posts Apr 26 2024