84 posts
  • 5 / 9
 by snackdaddy
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:Gotta believe CJ would demand more than that, so if the Rams don’t value him more than Brown, we should just match.

I'm in agreement. CJ would be my first choice but Brown is just fine as their plan B. Make their offer to CJ and if he doesn't take it, match Brown's. They could do worse. I don't think Kelly is ready.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Interesting Twitter exchange:

@Joe_Rossi777 asked:
CJ you wanna roll in the Green and White ? #Jets

CJ Anderson replied:
Nah y’all got y’all back bro 26 got it (Referring to Le'Veon Bell)

Could this be part of the reason the Rams are not rushing to sign him - he's looking for a starting gig, as opposed to an understudy role?

by Elvis
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38463  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

dieterbrock wrote:Ask and you shall receive

Didn't we tender Brown at 2 mil for one year? Seems like a great deal if we want to match...

by ramsman34
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8528  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Elvis wrote:Didn't we tender Brown at 2 mil for one year? Seems like a great deal if we want to match...

I would match that right now. CJ can try to start for someone else. Brown is a better back, IMO. And ya gotta think Brown wants to be in LA not Motown. Detroit sees him as a back up as well. So, where would you rather be a back up?

by Indrid Cold
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   863  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

Elvis wrote:Didn't we tender Brown at 2 mil for one year? Seems like a great deal if we want to match...

I thought it was $2M, too. Like you say, Rams should just jump on a 2-yr deal averaging $1.6M.

by ramsrams
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1176  
Canada   Mississauga, ON
Pro Bowl

What has Malcolm Brown done to make him not on my wish list.

Plays against teams stacking the box when the Rams have a big lead, and still gets four yards a carry.

Pass protection par excellence.

Catches the ball well.

No brainer, match.

by Elvis
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38463  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

And the Rams get no compensations if they let Brown walk. Matching seems kind of no brainer-y to me...

by PARAM
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12244  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

By giving him an original-round tender, the Rams were going to pay Brown $2.025 million next season. Unless they signed him to an extension, he would become an unrestricted free agent in 2020, allowing anywhere with no strings attached.

It’s entirely possible the Rams could actually save money on Brown in 2019 by matching Detroit’s offer sheet. With only $1 million guaranteed and an annual salary of about $1.6 million, the Rams seem to have caught a major break by Detroit coming in so low with its offer.

If they were willing to pay Brown $2.025 million for one season, surely they’d be happy to pay him at most $3.25 million for two years, right? Especially if his cap hit is lower in 2019, which it likely is.

At worst, the Rams could match the offer and if things don’t work out, they can easily cut ties with him after next season without much dead money, if any at all. So if matching the offer benefits the Rams, why wouldn’t Los Angeles do just that?

Well, if the coaching staff wasn’t sold on Brown as Todd Gurley’s backup, it now has an easy out. The Rams can decline to match it and move on from Brown, freeing up the $2.025 million in cap space he would’ve taken up. They’re somewhat strapped for cash after signing Clay Matthews to a two-year deal worth up to $16.75 million, so any added money could help them out.

If they feel C.J. Anderson is the better option at RB2, that $2 million might go a long way toward signing him instead of keeping Brown. Or perhaps the coaches are comfortable with John Kelly as the primary backup and want to simply recoup the money from Brown by letting him leave.

All of those scenarios are very possible, but matching the Lions’ offer seems to obvious not to happen. For an extra $1.2 million, the Rams can get an added year of control over their backup running back. And if Sean McVay truly does feel Brown is as valuable as he indicated last year, it’d be shocking to see Los Angeles let him walk.

“Yeah, that would be a big loss,” McVay said of Brown in December after the running back injured his shoulder. “It would be a huge loss because of what Malcolm means to our football team – not only for our offense, but for our special teams.”

Expect the Rams to match the Lions’ offer sheet and keep Brown, given the low price it’ll take to make it happen.

LINK

Sure sounds like a no brainer and a huge "thank you" to the Detroit Lions for lowering our cap hit on Brown!!!!

by AltiTude Ram
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2179  
United States of America   Denver
Pro Bowl

Makes me wonder what his agent and Brown were thinking.

He didn't have to sign the offer sheet. He will end up getting less money and locked up for another year.

Its almost as if his agent was negotiating for the Rams.

by moklerman
5 years 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:I would match that right now. CJ can try to start for someone else. Brown is a better back, IMO. And ya gotta think Brown wants to be in LA not Motown. Detroit sees him as a back up as well. So, where would you rather be a back up?
If Brown is truly better than Anderson, he's going to be far more than a borderline starter.

• 5 / 9
84 posts Apr 20 2024