84 posts
  • 2 / 9
 by dieterbrock
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

I don't think there's a number you could offer him that would make sense for the Rams. With 17 mill for Gurley and 2 million for Brown, he'd have to basically play for free

by Indrid Cold
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   863  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

The other thing with CJ is that they don't run the same offense with him. He doesn't have the speed to run the outside stretch plays that are bread and butter with Gurley in the game. No screen game with him either. It's jet motion action and trap plays up the gut. Worked as a new wrinkle against AZ and SF (who suck) and Dallas when everything worked. Last 2 games it was total crap and wasn't worth the snaps given to CJ, especially in the SB with a 5 man DL.

by actionjack
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   3951  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Dick84 wrote:The offered him the original round tender. At 2 million dollars... they plan on keeping him and not keeping CJ.

I know but my point was Kelly is on very thin ice

by actionjack
5 years 1 month ago
Superstar

Indrid Cold wrote:The other thing with CJ is that they don't run the same offense with him. He doesn't have the speed to run the outside stretch plays that are bread and butter with Gurley in the game. No screen game with him either. It's jet motion action and trap plays up the gut. Worked as a new wrinkle against AZ and SF (who suck) and Dallas when everything worked. Last 2 games it was total crap and wasn't worth the snaps given to CJ, especially in the SB with a 5 man DL.

Ok but he also outperformed Gurley in every game they played together and was excellent in the redzone. We better hope Gurley is good to go come the season opener.

by moklerman
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

I'm glad I don't have to make the decision but a guy who averaged 7.0 yards per carry and won some critical games for me would have a place on my roster. Restructure Gurley's contract if need be. Cut some "potential" guys who don't see the field or produce anyway. CJ earned a roster spot and contract IMO.

by actionjack
5 years 1 month ago
Superstar

Dick84 wrote:?
No idea where you’d get that take.

When Snead was talking about the running back position at the presser, he mentioned Brown and the draft as options behind Gurley

by Indrid Cold
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   863  
United States of America   Redington Beach, FL
Veteran

actionjack wrote:Ok but he also outperformed Gurley in every game they played together

Gained 8 more yards on 7 more carries against Dallas. Averaged 2.75 ypc against NO. Averaged 3 ypc against NE. Other than not dropping 2 passes against NO, he wasn't better than Gurley in any game. His usage over Gurley in the SB was stupefying…

moklerman wrote:Restructure Gurley's contract if need be. Cut some "potential" guys who don't see the field or produce anyway.

Gurley's cap hits and dead money next 3 years: $9.2M ($21.8M), $17.2M ($12.6M), $13.2M ($8.4M). Where do you want to push the restructured money??? And if you cut 4 minimum salary guys to get $3M or something to pay CJ, you have to sign bodies to fill those roster spots again and get no savings...

Rams are pretty much tapped out on $. If they do spend more, it will be on cheap vet OL, DL, OLB not backup RB.

by Hacksaw
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

I like Brown anyway. Quicker, big and can catch the rock. Saves dough too.

by actionjack
5 years 1 month ago
Superstar

Indrid Cold wrote:Gained 8 more yards on 7 more carries against Dallas. Averaged 2.75 ypc against NO. Averaged 3 ypc against NE. Other than not dropping 2 passes against NO, he wasn't better than Gurley in any game. His usage over Gurley in the SB was stupefying…

I agree it was stupefying, but Gurley was a complete no show against NO, yards were hard to come by but CJ made some plays that helped win the game. Against the Pats our o-line got beat plain and simple.

Also I didnt notice TG catches many passes either the last half of the season. I just think CJ is a great physical inside runner we could use against certain teams while TG is better on the outside and breaking the long one. I just dont trust that Gurley is ok.

• 2 / 9
84 posts Apr 19 2024