234 posts
  • 1 / 24
 by /zn/
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Rams may consider drastic option if Todd Gurley’s knee regresses during offseason
Todd Gurley’s left knee is still an issue in Los Angeles

John Breech

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rams ... offseason/

INDIANAPOLIS — The question of whether or not Todd Gurley is healthy has been one of the biggest mysteries in the NFL over the past few months and although the team won’t come out and say it, there’s definitely some concern inside the organization about his left knee.

The Rams currently have Gurley on an offseason regimen in hopes of getting him completely healthy for the 2019 season, but if that doesn’t work or if his knee regresses, the team may consider stem cell treatment for their star running back, according to a team source.

Although stem cell procedures haven’t quite gone mainstream in the NFL, multiple former running backs have undergone the treatment, including Jamaal Charles and Knowshon Moreno. Both Charles and Moreno had the procedure done after tearing an ACL earlier in their football career. Gurley tore his ACL during his junior year at the University of Georgia in 2014.

Rams coach Sean McVay was asked about the possibility of a stem cell procedure during a one-on-one interview with CBSSports.com at the NFL combine on Thursday and although he didn’t confirm it, he did say that the team is looking at “new methods” to help Gurley with his ailing knee.

“As far as the stem cells, that’s not something that’s been communicated to me, but there is a program,” McVay said. “We’ve got these doctors and there’s always new methods of staying as up-to-date as you can, and number one, the player has to feel good about it. Todd does such a good job of doing his own research and knowing what are the things [he] can do.”

McVay also added that the team is open to using new advancements in medicine as long as Gurley is comfortable with it.

“I think every year provides a new opportunity based on the research and some of the medical advances to attack it in the right way,” McVay said. “As long as Todd is feeling good about that, that’s what we’ll do.”

One option that’s not on the table right now is surgery. McVay told a horde of media members at the combine that surgery definitely won’t be happening this offseason.

Gurley’s troublesome left knee became such an issue this year that it caused him to miss the final two games of the regular season. At the time, the Rams attributed Gurley’s absence to soreness and inflammation. According to McVay, the team is hoping that they can get Gurley back at full strength this offseason.

“We’re going to implement a plan to have him attack it to get that knee back to feeling full strength, feeling good based on just the amount of work that he’s gotten,” McVay said. “That would be no different whether he missed any games or not, though.”

The 33-year-old Rams coach also said that the team has been closely watching Gurley’s knee since the day he was drafted in 2015.

“We’ve always had the approach with him even going back to when we drafted him before I was here, and that’s really where we’re at,” McVay said. “There’s been a plan in place specific to monitoring that knee every single offseason for him and having a plan to make sure that we’re putting him in a position to sustain that workload. This season will be no different.”

A team source also said that the team is concerned about the amount of hits that Gurley is taking. The Rams running back has carried the ball 1,042 times since his rookie year. To put that in perspective, no other running back in the NFL has even carried the ball 950 times over that time span. Gurley leads the NFL in carries over the past four seasons even though he’s missed six regular-season games in that time span.

Rams general manager Les Snead didn’t deny that the team is worried about the amount of wear and tear on Gurley. As a matter of fact, during an appearance at the combine Thursday, Snead said that the Rams may consider bringing in a running back to help take some of the load off of Gurley in 2019.

“There’s an element of wear and tear and I think we have to determine in probably two stages: are we going to give him the amount of load that he’s had in the past or are we going to lessen that load to let’s say keep him fresher for the season and for the seasons beyond,” Snead said, via the NFL’s official website. “If you go that route, you have to have a good, let’s call it Batman and Robin combination or add another superhero figure into that and figure how you’re going to do it. We’re in the process of figuring that out and I do think with Todd and his career — it happens to a lot of young guys, all of a sudden they wake up … and you’re a little sorer than you were the day before.”

The problem for the Rams is that Gurley’s soreness has been lingering, which is why the team may eventually consider the stem cell option.

Due in large part to Gurley’s injury, the Rams brought in C.J. Anderson to help him carry the load at the end of the regular season. It was Anderson who first publicly admitted just how bad Gurley’s knee was back in December.

“He was more hurt than what we thought,” Anderson said on Feb. 19. “The injury was a little bit more than what everybody in the building thought, including himself.”

The health of Gurley is now a $45 million mystery for the Rams. Gurley became the highest-paid running back in NFL history back in July when he signed a four-year, $60 million extension that included $45 million in guaranteed money. When the Rams signed Gurley to the record-setting deal, they clearly weren’t expecting their offense to turn into a running back by committee, but as Snead said, that’s something that could happen if the the 24-year-old’s injury lingers into 2019.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

So....

An unnamed "team source" allegedly says this is something that is being considered.

McVay, when asked, states he has no knowledge of this, and makes a general comment about the team doctors keeping up to date on new procedures.

That's a story?

Man... I should have gone into sports journalism. No accountability whatsoever... just claim to have a "source," and write whatever you want. Is there an easier job on the planet?

by ramsman34
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8516  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Nonetheless, Snead addressed it with some specificity. And, if they are considering stem cell treatment, one can guess there is some degradation that could become chronic if not rectified somehow - if that is even possible.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:Nonetheless, Snead addressed it with some specificity.

Where did he do that? I see a comment about Gurley's workload. How does that translate to "his condition may need special medical treatment?"

Man, I hate this type of "reporting." So irresponsible.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

dieterbrock wrote:So, when did you stop beating your wife?

Ex-act-ly!

By the way, RotoWorld has a blurb on this citing Jason La Canfora as the source - meaning its almost certainly wrong.

by /zn/
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:Nonetheless, Snead addressed it with some specificity. And, if they are considering stem cell treatment, one can guess there is some degradation that could become chronic if not rectified somehow - if that is even possible.

The record is pretty clear actually, all things considered.

1. He had inflammation, in fact a couple of episodes of it. CJ directly commented on problems with his knee.
2. Inflammation is not caused by nothing...something causes it.
3. You can be cleared to play if the inflammation abates but the underlying cause is still there, so you're not playing at 100%.
4. It's not structural--they had an MRI. That means no surgery + rehab.
5. Still the inflammation had a cause, and whatever caused it does not just go away. They are treating it this way (from the article in the OP):
The Rams currently have Gurley on an offseason regimen in hopes of getting him completely healthy for the 2019 season....According to McVay, the team is hoping that they can get Gurley back at full strength this offseason...“We’re going to implement a plan to have him attack it to get that knee back to feeling full strength, feeling good based on just the amount of work that he’s gotten,” McVay said.

IE they see him as having a physical problem and are working on it this off-season, through training and physical therapy and directed work on the knee. Though it's possible it could regress, and they are trying to avoid that.

by ramsman34
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8516  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

AvengerRam wrote:Where did he do that? I see a comment about Gurley's workload. How does that translate to "his condition may need special medical treatment?"

Man, I hate this type of "reporting." So irresponsible.

That is the "some specificity" I am referring. Not specific to a condition or stem cell, but specific to what TGs workload had done to him and Snead's concern/plan going forward. I don't think he talks about anything like that if there wasn't some level of future concern. I am by no means trying to confirm nor give credit to the validity of the OG report. That said, IF, stem cell procedure is being considered, that is specifically for cell regeneration and repair.
Degradation/tissue loss are typically the reasons for it.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:they see him as having a physical problem and are working on it this off-season, through training and physical therapy and directed work on the knee. Though it's possible it could regress, and they are trying to avoid that.

doy.jpg

by dieterbrock
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:CJ directly commented on problems with his knee.

False-

Everybody is buzzin @RealSkipBayless ask how hurt was TG WHEN I GOT TO YHE RAMS. That was week 16. The response more than we all thought. Including my self. Not playoffs when he return when he was healthy. THE ? Was HOW HURT WAS HE WHEN YOU GOT THERE? Dummies how bout yall listen

— Cj Anderson (@cjandersonb22) February 22, 2019

• 1 / 24
234 posts Apr 16 2024