234 posts
  • 24 / 24
 by Hacksaw
5 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Still, less Gurley is a bad thing. He's one of the best players in the league and if you need to restrict his playing time less is not better. If his carry numbers are not unusual then color me concerned. If he was over worked, that's acceptable imo.
I have a hunch that this is not a usual type injury,, if there's an injury at all. Something's up.

by AvengerRam
5 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Still, less Gurley is a bad thing. He's one of the best players in the league and if you need to restrict his playing time less is not better. If his carry numbers are not unusual then color me concerned. If he was over worked, that's acceptable imo.
I have a hunch that this is not a usual type injury,, if there's an injury at all. Something's up.

Gurley is averaging 307.25 touches per year for his career, and 326.33 touches per year over the last three seasons. That's not an unheard of workload, but it certainly qualifies as a heavy workload. Few RBs have sustained a pace of 300+ touches/year for more than a few seasons.

I think one way to keep Gurley's touches down during the regular season is to use someone else as the "closer" in games that are in hand late. Last year, the Rams entered the 4th quarter with a lead of 10 or more points in 6 regular season games. I'd rather see the Rams resting Gurley and using Brown or Anderson or whoever ends up being the #2 in those situations, rather than putting more wear and tear on Gurley.

by Hacksaw
5 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

AvengerRam wrote:Gurley is averaging 307.25 touches per year for his career, and 326.33 touches per year over the last three seasons. That's not an unheard of workload, but it certainly qualifies as a heavy workload. Few RBs have sustained a pace of 300+ touches/year for more than a few seasons.

I think one way to keep Gurley's touches down during the regular season is to use someone else as the "closer" in games that are in hand late. Last year, the Rams entered the 4th quarter with a lead of 10 or more points in 6 regular season games. I'd rather see the Rams resting Gurley and using Brown or Anderson or whoever ends up being the #2 in those situations, rather than putting more wear and tear on Gurley.

That would certainly be the best way to manage it if we have a good enough back-up. Got to keep your foot on the opponents throat to the final buzzer.
Thanks for the info.

by dieterbrock
5 years 3 weeks ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Not saying its right or wrong, the Rams make decisions and live with the outcomes. With salary cap only allowing significant financial contribution to a few positions, you have to decide what basket to place your eggs. The RB basket is full, and over flowing compared to the rest of the league based on Gurley salary alone.
I have full confidence that the Rams are fully aware of Gurley's condition, particularly after giving him such a fat contract, and the lack of activity on finding a back up reinforces to me that they have no concern.
The way I see it, let the fools run with nonsense about arthritis etc, so they get their clicks. I love how the Rams are consistent in answering all the questions without being the slightest bit evasive.
Let the league think Gurley is hurt

• 24 / 24
234 posts Apr 16 2024