69 posts
  • 3 / 7
 by PARAM
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12242  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:How key is he?
And, again, what do you think Belichick would say to this?

He's key......142 receptions and 2000 yards with 11 TDs the last two years. Isn't that "key" enough for you? And who gives a fuck what Belichick would say to this?

On your last reply, we won't "stand pat". But we don't need to get rid of Woods or Cooks or Kupp or Reynolds in the process. I mean who goes around saying, "we have a top of the league offense with 3 great receivers, a great running back and a quarterback who will be great very soon.....but we can't stand pat....let's get rid of one of those guys....". I'm sorry you don't like to stand pat Dick. I'll play the hand we have thank you very much. :D

by PARAM
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12242  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Part of my plan included drafting someone like Isabella, or, if you prefer, a Danny Amendola type.

Yes, I’m counting on Kupp.
Yes, I’m counting on Reynolds being at least as good as he was this year.

*In this scenario*

Woods was really good this year.
Was he a difference maker?
1 more TD than Kupp & Reynolds.
Only 3 100 yard games.
His cap is REALLY a bargain the next 2 years.
I’d say the arguments for keeping him are stronger than those for trading.
But I think the pluses of a 2nd round pick + 6 million in cap space isn’t something you scoff at.
Rams could use that money and draft pick to upgrade AND go younger on the Oline, for example.
Sign an FA Guard & draft a Center with the 2nd. You’d cut Sullivan in this scenario & have Blythe, Kelly and rookie battle for Center.
Use a 3rd on a WR to try and replenish.
Not working in a vacuum here.

Okay, color me a victim of PTSD....post traumatic sucky disorder.... for years, after Big Game retired we put up with shit WRs and a shit WR corp.

.............Donnie Avery, Danny 6 yards Amendola, Brandon Gibson, Keenan Burton, Laurent Robinson, Mark Clayton (a good one but a temporary rental), Donario DX-can't stay on the field Alexander, Austin Pettis, Greg Salas, Brandon Lloyd (another good one, another temporary rental), Mike Sims-Walker, Chris Givens, Steve Smith, Brian Quick, Tavon "I can run but I can't catch" Austin, Steadman Bailey, Kenny Idiot Britt, Bradley Marquez, Wes Washed Up Egg Shell Skull Welker, Pharoah Cooper.........

Have I said enough? Do you remember now? Today we have Robert Woods, Brandin Cooks, Cooper Kupp and Josh Reynolds. 4 very good wide receivers. 4 very complimentary wide receivers. Considering you rarely find 2 very good wide receivers who aren't prima fucking donnas always screaming to be the guy who gets the ball, we are pretty lucky. So yeah, my PTSD won't allow me to contemplate giving up any of those 4. No. No. No. Not for some young "we really don't know if he'll be a stud in the NFL" draft pick or some Free agent UFA asshole like O'Dell I'mSwell Beckam. We've got our WR corp. Find another place to cut cash.

by Hacksaw
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Dick84 wrote:Guys....
lemme take some ownership for a poor title.
I should have made it something like..
scenario: trade woods

I’m not *calling* for Woods to be traded.

I’m exploring unorthodox ways the Rams could move forward.

My one, strong feeling is standing pat is dangerous.

I'll change it if you want.

But let's hold on to Woods. McVay deserves all the weapons they can afford.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:Cooks, Reynolds and Kupp are a really good three, imo.

Sure, but as we saw this year, you need quality depth in case of injury.

by Hacksaw
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Dick84 wrote:I hear you.
What do you say if I tell you that the Rams would use the FA $, along with cutting Sullivan to upgrade the Oline, drafted Andy Isabella or another WR with one of the 3rd round comp picks and got an instant starter at FS, OL (depending on Whit and Saffold situation), Dline or Edge with the second rounder?
I'd argue you upgraded two positions appreciably while downgrading one somewhat to appreciably.

2 unknowns for 1 known seems risky. Especially since we're not sure what the story will be with Cooper Kupp.

Isabella looks good but how long does it take to get up to speed? What if his game doesn't translate?

Thing is, we have a closing window with so many FA's contracts expiring this and next year and the big one when Jared Goff is due to get paid.

I'm comfortable going to war with our receivers. The trick will be find in dough to fill real needs. So to your point, we might have a surplus of receivers so that would be the pool to thin.

I just feel it's wisest to stay with the known commodity while the current window is open.

I'm more concerned with Gurley.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:That's why I'd use a 3rd round comp pick on a WR, in this case.

The fail rate on WRs taken in Round 3 is pretty high.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I'm counting on the Rams continuing it's current pattern of drafting.
We can say this about so many positions, that it's just a fear-driven reason *not* to do something.
If you're planning on missing on a third rounder, I think your team is already dust.

That's a pretty big twisting of my point.

If you have a hole at WR, drafting one in the 3rd round and having confidence that you can choose the right guy makes sense.

If you already have the right guy (and at the right price), trading him and taking the chance of replacing him with a 3rd round draft pick makes little sense to me.

by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

I appreciate the general concept. I just don’t agree with this particular proposal.

by dieterbrock
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:I dig it.
I'm torn on whether I'd actually pull the trigger. My logical brain tells me I should... but I love Robert Woods and have since he was a Trojan. Great guy and really good player.

I'm bigger on trading/releasing Peters... but we don't have the same depth situation at corner that we do at WR, imo.

What would you expect as far as fair compensation is concerned? A Woods trade that is

by /zn/
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

I don't think they're trading anyone, nor do they need to I think.

I think they need a good draft, and the way they use 3rd rounders (they're golden in the 3rd round) they could end up with up to 3 starters out of that (first 3 picks obviously).

And I think they have some redshirt youngster already on the roster they like.

WHAT they need depends on whether AW retires or not, and whether or not Gurley is a question mark. They're the same team if they have those 2, and not really the same if they don't.

Even if it's worse case, I just don't think weakening either WR or CB helps them. They would just have to directly address those 2 possible worst case things and stay the same at WR and CB.

• 3 / 7
69 posts Apr 18 2024