7 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by AvengerRam
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

And now... the final part of my Roster Breakdown series...

Cornerback
Signed through 2019: Marcus Peters, Aqib Talib, Nickell Robey-Coleman,
Free agents: Sam Shields, Troy Hill (RFA), Dominique Hatfield (ERFA), Kevin Peterson (ERFA)

As far as the starting CBs go, the Rams don't have to do anything... yet. They could simply return Talib, Peters and NRC at a total cost of just over $20M. That would not be unreasonable as a short-term option. When all three were on the field, they played fairly well. They can also likely bring back the depth (Shields, Hill, etc.) at a reasonable price.

The issue here is more a question of the the long term. Talib is on the downside of his career (perhaps he could extend it by moving to FS). Peters, who will be a UFA in 2020, has not played well enough to merit the type of long-term deal he will no doubt seek. So, from my standpoint, CB will likely be one of the top priorities for the draft.

Safety
Signed through 2019: John Johnson, Marqui Christian, Darious Williams
Free Agents: Lamarcus Joyner, Blake Countess (ERFA)

Joyner is likely gone. The Rams won't franchise him again, and his play did not justify a big FA payday. That leaves a hole at FS... or does it? John Johnson played both safety positions in college, so the Rams could consider moving him to the center field spot and finding a new SS.

Either way, there is a good chance that the Rams will draft a safety who could end up starting in 2019. Three players I really like are Taylor Rapp of Washington, Deionte Thompson of Alabama and Nasir Adderley of Buffalo.

Av's Plan
With the need to find a way to keep key players at other spots on the roster (Rodger Saffold, Ndamukong Suh, Dante Fowler), I don't think the Rams can afford to move on from their current starting CBs, who are cost-effective and showed some promise at times. I would like to see some depth drafted. Some guys I like who could be there in the mid-rounds are Iman Marshall of USC, David Long of Michigan and Michael Jackson of Miami.

At safety, I see an opportunity. If the Rams finish the first FA wave without any other gaping holes in the starting lineup, I think the #31 pick in the draft could be used to find an impact player to pair with John Johnson.

by CanuckRightWinger
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Agree that Lemarcus NoWillie"SayHey"Mays! Joyner should be gone as Los Ramos FS. We need a playmaker in that spot....not a guy who is always a step too late!

Av is also correct in that we have options in-house to fill the FS spot in Aqib Talib and/or John Johnson III. I prefer John Johnson III as our new FS, because Talib is still an skilled & effective NFL CB and those guys don't just grow on trees, eh! JJ III at SS can be more easily replaced via the Draft, as there are always some DJ McDonald thumper-types available in every NFL Draft who can be found on Day Two....or even Day Three. :idea2:

JJ III has demonstrated good ball-hawking skills and is also a sure-handed tackler....and pretty physical as well IMHO. :idea2: JJ III also has had TWO years now in the Wade OldMan&TheDee Phillips System, so he knows the ropes back deep.

I dunno....to me CB should NOT be our #1 Draft concern in 2019....Edge Rusher should be! Our Defensive Backfield/Cornerback depth ain't that bad in my view with Blake Countess, Troy Hill, Marquis Christian, Sam Shields, Kevin Peterson, Darius Williams.....who are all also cheap like borscht to keep for 2019.

For the record, I am not gah-gah about Marcus Peters, but he seems to play decent when Talib is on the field. Plus he's young, so maybe MP, with another year in McVay's positive Rams Culture, stabilizes both on the field and also in the personality department hopefully. :idea2:

In conclusion, I am more worried about our Front Seven than our Defensive Backfield for 2019. Our sack production from our ER's was pretty poor in 2018.....and retaining Dante Fowler, which I consider critical to Wade's 2019 Defensive prospects, will be damm expen$ive.

Finally, Les Snead, seems to have an eye for late-Round//UDFA DB diamonds-in-the-rough.....EG. Rodney McLeod back when Fisher was still a yoke around Snead's neck! As always, JMO.

Cheers from uncharacteristically cold and snowy Vancouver, BC
(Remember "Global Warming" is just government-speak for "Carbon-Tax Grab" :idea2:

by VegasRam
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   132  
United States of America   Las Vegas
Practice Squad

I know everybody's kinda down on Barron - I love the guy - but can understand the sentiment given his recent play, plus his cost, but I can't help wondering if he couldn't play strong safety, which IIRC, was his position in college. We could extend him to ease the cap hit, and maybe extend his career. He really is a baller, just too small for ILB.
If it doesn't work, slide Talib back there after next year and keep him in reserve.

I do agree with Canuck though - that the front seven is more in need of bolstering than the secondary, and agree with AV about Peters, who everyone has mixed feelings about - me because he is a horrible tackler. Like Fowler a lot - let's see what he'll play for. I guess Kiser is kinda the 'b' word - did he even get on the field last year? Looking forward to seeing what Obo, JFM and SJD can do in their second year, and for me, Suh is history 'less he's really really cheap. Ebukam's a keeper as well - may never be great, but he's solid and cheap.

by safer
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Agreed! As for the front 7, I want us to move up to @20 and draft D/T--N/T Christian Wilkins of Clemson. Very quick, and kind of built like a cross between Suh and Aaron. Played great in the Nat'l championship game. He screws everything up for an O line.
Then I'd trade Brockers--for a low pick. We'd save a NET of about $9mil on that, AND we've drafted a guy I think can replace Suh the next year or two. Start Christian at D/E. We do need to take DB's in the mid rounds this year.
I WANT TERRELL SUGGS!! It's rumored he will become a FA soon, and he would really juice up our D, even at his age. I think Fowler is gonna want huge money, and don't think we can pay him that. There are some stud pass rushers in this draft, but not sure that we aren't better than we know with Ebukam, Obo, and Franklin-Myers---still VERY young guys that are ascending.
IF we signed Suggs (and what a great teacher he'd be for our young-uns at olber), re-sign Suh, and drafted Wilkins, I'd be fine with the guys we have upfront on D. Another MLBER wouldn't hurt either. I don't see an ascending one on our roster right now, other than Cory.

by CanuckRightWinger
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Hi VegasRam,

Thanks for agreeing with my take on the 2019 Defensive Backfield via your thoughtful post. 8-)
I wanted to offer you the opportunity to discuss the subject even further and more thoroughly ....over cigars ;) at that PT's Pub establishment you introduced me to in South Las Vegas (Pebble @ 215, right?) .....as the Swiss Family Canuck is coming to Sin City in about 7 weeks...IE. April 7th thru 14th . :idea2:

We'll be at the Wyndham Grand Desert on Harmon just off the Strip. Let me know if you still have my cellphone # from last time.....if not we've got some time to exchange co-ordinates.....or just leave a message for me at the Grand Desert. 8-)

Look forward to visiting with you again buddy!

See you in April. Go Rams!!!

Canuck

by snackdaddy
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I don't like the idea of looking to the draft to fill an immediate need. Smacks too much of the desperation we went through every year before McVay. Hoping for rookies to make an immediate impact is a losing proposition. I would rather they find some experience and draft players to be rotational players until they prove they're starter material. Even if that experience is in house. Could Countess do any worse than Joyner?

Talib and Peters will be playing in 2019. Peters had his struggles early but he seems to have settled down since Wade started playing him where he does best. Off the receiver. Talib is the man press guy. The salaries for those two are a little high but overall a bargain when you consider their skill level. Good cover corners are hard to find as it is. We have two.

I think Joyner walks. His play does not warrant a big payday but I'm sure his agent will convince someone he's a better fit for their defense and his play prior to 2018 was at a higher level. I think he's played his last days as a Ram. I also don't think it will be hard to upgrade. Probably don't need to break the bank for his replacement. Just find a capable vet.

• 1 / 1
7 posts Apr 16 2024