36 posts
  • 2 / 4
 by AvengerRam
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Add Weddle to the list...

If the Rams want a one-year (two, at most) rental at FS, Weddle could be an intriguing option.

by safer
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

All-pro FS Eric Weddle just got cut by the Ravens. He's 34 and probably wanting a SB ring more than anything else. IF he would sign on the cheap, I'd get him. He could do for our secondary what Whitworth did for our Oline. He's a leader and a smart player.

by ramsman34
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8522  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Elvis wrote:This market is not shaping up well for Joyner...

The market for all safeties will be very soft due to the talent hitting the streets and the decent prospects in the draft. We might actually be able to upgrade the position for cheaper than originally expected and far cheaper than the franchise tag number.

by Rams1PlateSince1976
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2077  
Pro Bowl

Weddle sounds like a great fit. Additional information? He sure won't get a super bowl ring playing in San Diego. He could in LA.

by MikeRam
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   37  
Undrafted Free Agent

Suppose we have a choice. We either sign a free agent safety and use our first round pick on an edge rusher, or we use it on a safety and sign a free agent edge rusher. Which should we do? Well free agent edge rushers that are good cost north of $15 million a year and few hit the market. Good free agent safeties can be had for less than half that and this year there are a lot of them. That means that given the above choice the answer is obvious.

A similar case can be made for drafting a cb. Imo we should use our first round pick on an edge rusher or a cb. The reason I'm making this obvious comment is that I've seen several mock drafts having us draft a safety. Well, the only way that makes sense is if you think that the safety is so much better than anyone else that it becomes a no brainer.

by ramsman34
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8522  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

MikeRam wrote:Suppose we have a choice. We either sign a free agent safety and use our first round pick on an edge rusher, or we use it on a safety and sign a free agent edge rusher. Which should we do? Well free agent edge rushers that are good cost north of $15 million a year and few hit the market. Good free agent safeties can be had for less than half that and this year there are a lot of them. That means that given the above choice the answer is obvious.

A similar case can be made for drafting a cb. Imo we should use our first round pick on an edge rusher or a cb. The reason I'm making this obvious comment is that I've seen several mock drafts having us draft a safety. Well, the only way that makes sense is if you think that the safety is so much better than anyone else that it becomes a no brainer.

Frankly, when it comes to the draft, you take the edge rusher over EVERY position other than QB and LT. Unless the edge rusher is marginal by comparison to positional standards and another position offers elite talent. Edge rushers are expensive after their rookie deals, much like QBs and LTs. So, I agree with your position. Draft the rusher, sign the F/A safety. Draft the corner, sign the F/A ILB. Draft the LT, sign the F/A OG. Especially when the market is flooded and soft at a position your team needs; IE Safety.

Every team with half a clue has analytics for this; and experience, and common sense.

by /zn/
5 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:Frankly, when it comes to the draft, you take the edge rusher over EVERY position other than QB and LT. Unless the edge rusher is marginal by comparison to positional standards and another position offers elite talent. Edge rushers are expensive after their rookie deals, much like QBs and LTs. ... Especially when the market is flooded and soft at a position your team needs; IE Safety.

Agreed, plus since 2012, this team has a nice record finding safeties, and that's without having spent a single 1st round pick.

Combine that with the fact that since 2012 they've also had a good record with 3rd round picks.

And yeah it's a flooded DB FA market anyway.

• 2 / 4
36 posts Apr 18 2024