37 posts
  • 2 / 4
 by Hacksaw
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

/zn/ wrote:I doubt he has one to be honest.

Brown isn't to shabby. Seems like that didn't fit his op-ed.

by /zn/
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Brown isn't to shabby. Seems like that didn't fit his op-ed.

True .

by snackdaddy
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9656  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

If Gurley truly was slowed down by injury, it would make sense that they kept saying he was fine. Teams always have to account for him. Make them account for him if you're not going to use him as much. But the rest of the team has to pick up the slack.

I suppose if there is an injury, but not serious enough for surgery, the rest will do him good. He should be fine coming into next season. But we have to be concerned about his ability to play beyond 16 games. Makes me think they really need another back who can get enough touches to keep Gurley from being worn down. CJ is starting to look like more of a need than a luxury.

by PARAM
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:If Gurley truly was slowed down by injury, it would make sense that they kept saying he was fine. Teams always have to account for him. Make them account for him if you're not going to use him as much. But the rest of the team has to pick up the slack.

I suppose if there is an injury, but not serious enough for surgery, the rest will do him good. He should be fine coming into next season. But we have to be concerned about his ability to play beyond 16 games. Makes me think they really need another back who can get enough touches to keep Gurley from being worn down. CJ is starting to look like more of a need than a luxury.

This has been my concern since 2017. You can't ride RBs like the old days.....350+ attempts....and expect them to remain healthy for 4 or 5 years. Keep Gurley at about 225 and use the backup more. Brown was awesome in that role and is worth keeping. CJ will cost too much. It remains to be seen how good Kelly is or can be.

by /zn/
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:If Gurley truly was slowed down by injury, it would make sense that they kept saying he was fine. Teams always have to account for him. Make them account for him if you're not going to use him as much. But the rest of the team has to pick up the slack.

I am not so much responding to your post as much as I am just diving into the topic using your post as a springboard. Mostly I agree but this gets into shadowy territory. I am not sure it is exactly right to say TG would have been slowed down by an injury. I would say that he had a persistent condition that kept him from being 100% himself. So with inflammation that goes in and out of being bad, he can sometimes get the nod to play, but still not be entirely himself. In fact he could start out fine and it could flare up.

It could be that off-season rest helps him. It could be a scope (which is not the same as serious cur and repair full scale surgery). He could come back from it his old self, or maybe still be vulnerable to the same thing.

by Elvis
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

When someone like Vinny writes something like "Rams need to solve the mystery of what's going on with Todd Gurley," i can't help but think, "you're a reporter, maybe you can find out what the deal is..."

by moklerman
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:When someone like Vinny writes something like "Rams need to solve the mystery of what's going on with Todd Gurley," i can't help but think, "you're a reporter, maybe you can find out what the deal is..."
Yeah, how is this article anything different that we've all speculated a bunch of different ways? He doesn't seem to offer any concrete or inside information.

by Elvis
5 years 2 months ago
Administrator

moklerman wrote:Yeah, how is this article anything different that we've all speculated a bunch of different ways? He doesn't seem to offer any concrete or inside information.

Vinny did write:

"That said, the issue in the Saints game wasn’t a health issue. It was Gurley simply not being completely engaged mentally to start the game."

I'm not sure anyone has reported that as a fact before so i think it's notable and to Vinny's credit...

by Elvis
5 years 2 months ago
Administrator

Dick84 wrote:I think Vinny does a decent job of reporting what happened.
The headline? Unless it's different with the Athletic, most writers don't make the headline. I say that, because Vinny lays out what happened.
He leaves open the door that something more could be wrong with the knee.. but he addresses it.. Gurley was healthy enough to play and contribute. He saw more snaps than Anderson.

Here's the flipside, by the way.. let's say Gurley carried the ball 17 times at roughly the same level that he did in the Super Bowl and Anderson had 0 carries.

The story here would be... "why the hell didn't he use Anderson?!??????"

The moral of my story is that when you suck, and they sucked in the Super Bowl, people will create the stories as to why you sucked.

I agree with all of this but i also think something's been up with Gurley since the KC game. Yeah he had a ton of touches against Detroit and yeah that TD against Dallas couldn't have been more Gurley like but on the whole, just don't think he was the same player.

I heard Isaac Bruce say pretty much the same thing on the radio the other day.

Am i right? I'm not really in a position to know for certain...

by moklerman
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Vinny did write:

"That said, the issue in the Saints game wasn’t a health issue. It was Gurley simply not being completely engaged mentally to start the game."

I'm not sure anyone has reported that as a fact before so i think it's notable and to Vinny's credit...
Yeah, I guess one could infer that he may have been told something that led him to make such a statement but it's just as easy to think that he's just connecting dots. Gurley had two errors early so McVay moved on. I've seen that talked about by the armchair brigade too.

• 2 / 4
37 posts Apr 16 2024