38 posts
  • 3 / 4
 by moklerman
2 months ago
 Total posts:   4659  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Vinny did write:

"That said, the issue in the Saints game wasn’t a health issue. It was Gurley simply not being completely engaged mentally to start the game."

I'm not sure anyone has reported that as a fact before so i think it's notable and to Vinny's credit...
Yeah, I guess one could infer that he may have been told something that led him to make such a statement but it's just as easy to think that he's just connecting dots. Gurley had two errors early so McVay moved on. I've seen that talked about by the armchair brigade too.

by moklerman
2 months ago
 Total posts:   4659  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Superstar

Elvis wrote:I agree with all of this but i also think something's been up with Gurley since the KC game. Yeah he had a ton of touches against Detroit and yeah that TD against Dallas couldn't have been more Gurley like but on the whole, just don't think he was the same player.

I heard Isaac Bruce say pretty much the same thing on the radio the other day.

Am i right? I'm not really in a position to know for certain...
I don't think anyone wants to believe it but you are far from alone in suspecting something's not right with Gurley. The collective gut of Rams Nation senses something isn't right and we're not getting the whole story.

Honestly, I hope it is a physical limitation that will heal rather than him being irresponsible(hangover?) or just overwhelmed.

by actionjack
2 months ago
 Total posts:   656  
United States of America   Sactown
Veteran

PARAM wrote:This has been my concern since 2017. You can't ride RBs like the old days.....350+ attempts....and expect them to remain healthy for 4 or 5 years. Keep Gurley at about 225 and use the backup more. Brown was awesome in that role and is worth keeping. CJ will cost too much. It remains to be seen how good Kelly is or can be.

I dont think we know yet if CJ will cost too much. CJ likes the Rams organization, they gave him and opportunity, will see how it shakes out. I would def keep Brown for sure though. The rest of the RB's I could care less.

by rams74
2 months ago
 Total posts:   623  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Veteran

All of this talk is complete speculation based on a reporter's complete speculation and everyone else's complete speculation before that. Might have inflammation? Might have a cartilage issue? Might have tendinitis? Might have been hungover??? Excuse me? Based on what are all these mights? Has Gurley ever had a reputation for playing hungover before, or what exactly?

I don't understand all this. In the Super Bowl, there's no evidence of anything other than the Rams couldn't make a first down, got behind, and threw it from there on out because they had to. Everybody had fewer touches in that game, with the exception of Johnny Hekker. EVERYBODY.

I don't think this discussion leads anywhere but right back where we started. But, carry on.

by /zn/
2 months ago
 Total posts:   4073  
United States of America   Maine
Superstar

Elvis wrote:something's been up with Gurley since the KC game. Yeah he had a ton of touches against Detroit and yeah that TD against Dallas couldn't have been more Gurley like but on the whole, just don't think he was the same player.

I heard Isaac Bruce say pretty much the same thing on the radio the other day.

Am i right? I'm not really in a position to know for certain...

A lot of observers, including guys with good eyes who were at some of these games, have said that Gurley did not look quite the same.

Again--whatever the cause of the inflammation is, it is not something that just goes away. AND it could abate to the point where he is able to play, but just not as quite the same guy he was before this started.

by /zn/
2 months ago
 Total posts:   4073  
United States of America   Maine
Superstar

rams74 wrote:Might have inflammation? .

No not all of this is speculation.

There is no "might have inflammation."

That was directly reported before, and in detail. That comes straight from the Rams. He had inflammation of the knee. That is known. It is a fact.

Based on that we can say a few more things with some relative certainty.

First, knee inflammation will ALWAYS have a cause, it does not just happen.

Second, until they tell us what the cause is (and they might not know yet) then we can only guess when it comes to that. But there are only so many plausible guesses, it's not infinite in its possibilities.

Third, he DID have an MRI so it is not structural damage.

4th, inflammation comes and goes though the cause remains. So whether or not he could be cleared to play does not tell us whether he could really run like his old self on that knee.

by ramsman34
2 months ago
 Total posts:   2955  
United States of America   Enemy Territory - Seattle
Superstar

Go back and look at some of his runs in the SB, NFCC. The TD run on the NFCC - he looked really good. The long run in the SB that was called back on that crap holding call - he looked excellent and that just might have been the single catalyst the O needed to get going. He seemed to lack a level of needed focus early in the NFCC. The offense had 8, 3-n-outs to start the SB; there simply were next to no opportunities to run the ball.

If he has a clean up on his knee, we will all find out about it. If it is not fixable and a chronic inflammation/tendonitis/arthritic condition, then the Rams will have to look at CJ, gauge how they feel about a bigger role for Brown, decide between Kelley/Davis, and look to the draft F/A if they feel they need more of an upgrade than the aforementioned provide.

I am more concerned about the overall team and the effect losing the SB will have on our record next season. Gurley and the RB's are but part of that issue, granted, a large part.

by snackdaddy
2 months ago
 Total posts:   4646  
United States of America   Merced California
Superstar

Whether Gurley's problem was physical(knee injury/inflammation) or mental (not completely engaged) I have a feeling he doesn't like what happened. I have a feeling he's going to come back just as strong if not stronger. But the Rams organization needs to do their part. They need to keep him healthy for beyond 16 games. If that means less touches and not being a league leader in stats, then that is what it should be. He's too talented not to utilize in big games. Playoffs are as big as it gets. We lost our biggest weapon. Whether it was by design, need or whatever. But it was clear he was not mid season Todd Gurley.

by BobCarl
2 months ago
 Total posts:   2516  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

No telling what is going on with Gurley. Maybe a teammate slept with his girlfriend. Maybe he is being outed for being gay. Maybe a close relative died. Maybe there was a threat on his life. Maybe he is being bullied by a teammate. Maybe he let the Mormons talk him out of playing in the NFL. Maybe he is going to be suspended for smoking weed.

Maybe it is all of the above, maybe it is none of the above.

Whatever it is, he has my 100% support, and I wish him health, respect, and happiness. I hope he comes back better than ever.

• 3 / 4
38 posts Apr 25 2019