3 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by aeneas1
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

here's a look at the rams personnel groupings throughout the season, unfortunately numbers from the super bowl aren't yet available.

it's interesting to see how much the rams changed their offense once cj took over for gurley, starting with the cardinals game in week 16 (game 15) - a team that once lived and died by 3+ wr sets (mostly 11 personnel) became a team that shifted to 2 wr (or less) personnel groupings much more often than before.
VirtualBox_2019-02-09_21-09-26.png

but was that a good thing?

sure, the rams had huge success with cj and a higher percentage of 2-wr (or less) sets against the cards and niners at the end the season but, let's face it, we're talking about the lowly cards and niners... in fact the rams also whipped the cards with 100% 11-personnel earlier in the year, so i'm not so sure these games represent a testament to how formidable the rams were when shifting to a higher percentage of 2 wr (or less) sets.

then the postseason, with gurley, rolled around and the rams stuck with it, the higher percentages of 2 wr (or less) sets - it paid dividends in the cowboys game but not so much in the saints game... and my guess is when the super bowl numbers come out they'll look a lot more like game 15 through the championship game than game 1 through game 14 in terms of personnel groupings.

so did mcvay fall too in love with cj and the rams increased usage 2 wr (or less) personnel groupings for his own good? at the wrong time? would he have been better served sticking with what served him tremendously well earlier in the season?

by Hacksaw
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

I thought I remembered discussing the 12 (2TE) set giving Goff the most time in the 6 or so plays in the SB. The 11 formation was a way to disguise our play from opponent secondaries, LB's by not showning any kind of a pre snap read. Was this possibly sussed out by Det, PA, Chi and NE with their beefy front Dlines?

Did McV really change up the LA game plan for CJ?
That makes me really fear that TGII is damaged goods that they had to change it up. If they don't change back could be another possible tell about TGII.

Am I over thinking / misreading this?

by snackdaddy
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

If Gurley really was playing hurt, he should come back fully healed next season. I have a feeling CJ will chase the money. He got a second life with the Rams. Now he can parlay it into a nice contract. Now if the Rams offer him a bigger than expected deal, maybe there really is something to Gurley's health.

• 1 / 1
3 posts Apr 19 2024