10 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by Ramsdude
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:

Ridiculous. That looked like a clean hit to me. The announcers saying you have to let the receiver catch the ball was ridiculous too. Just put skirts on them already. The NFL is becoming "powder puff" football.

The helmet to helmet fine against the Saints player was ridiculous also, The crown of NRC's helmet never touched the Saints players helmet! The SIDES of their helmets is what touched.

The NFL is getting hard to watch. Sigh!

by Ramsdude
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

Nickell Robey-Coleman gets another fine for illegal hit

Posted by Mike Florio on February 9, 2019, 5:59 PM EST
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/02/09/nickell-robey-coleman-gets-another-fine-for-illegal-hit/

The playoffs became an expensive proposition for Rams cornerback Nickell Robey-Coleman. He ended the postseason with significant fines in consecutive games for applying illegal hits to defenseless receivers.

The NFL has announced, via its in-house media conglomerate, that Robey-Coleman was fined $26,739 for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Patriots running back Rex Burkhead early in Super Bowl LIII. Robey-Coleman drew a flag for the hit.

In the NFC title game, Robey-Coleman avoided, if you haven’t heard, a penalty for unnecessary roughness for a helmet-to-helmet hit on Saints receiver Tommylee Lewis. Robey-Coleman also avoided a flag for pass interference, making the outcome one of the most controversial postseason finish in years, applying an asterisk to the Rams’ Super Bowl berth and causing much of New Orleans to shun the Super Bowl.

But Robey-Coleman was fined for the hit on Lewis, running the total price for a pair of illegal hits to more than $53,000.

by SWAdude
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2440  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Ramsdude wrote:Ridiculous. That looked like a clean hit to me.

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this.

Maybe more damage control at the expense of the Rams and RBC?

From my seat the NFL could have handled that missed call MUCH better.

Like not tell Payton what they thought minutes afterwards until they got a grip of how to handle the entire game instead of one play.

by aeneas1
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

i think as the rule is defined it was the right call, but the rule looked just as stupid on that play as it has on the many other plays i've seen it called, hopefully it's not lost on the league and they'll figure out a way to amend it.

by Elvis
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Yeah, if it had been a hand off and NRC blew up the back in the backfield, no penalty. But it was a pass. (Does the rule apply to a lateral?)

I think the key was him hitting Burkhead high but still, you watch the play and it seems like football...

by JackPMiller
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
Superstar

Ramsdude wrote:Ridiculous. That looked like a clean hit to me. The announcers saying you have to let the receiver catch the ball was ridiculous too. Just put skirts on them already. The NFL is becoming "powder puff" football.

The helmet to helmet fine against the Saints player was ridiculous also, The crown of NRC's helmet never touched the Saints players helmet! The SIDES of their helmets is what touched.

The NFL is getting hard to watch. Sigh!

I agree. This is football. I understand being safe, but it is hard to take the hitting, and the hits of the helmet of it. I hate the college rule of targeting. Most of the targeting, happens based on momentum of the body of the defender where he can't stop, even when he tries.

Still, football, is supposedly be a collision sport, and the players back in the day, like the 70's or 80's when I got more to see it. Or watching old highlights in black & white on NFL Network from the 40's, 50's & color in the 60's, the players of those eras would laugh at the game of today.

by fletch59
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   114  
Practice Squad

I always thought the object was to NOT let them catch the ball, no? :shock2:

by snackdaddy
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I wasn't surprised there would be an early personal foul on the defense. I remember telling someone "see number 23? I'll bet the they penalize the defense on an iffy call because they missed one on him". I guess they figure it was poetic justice to penalize him. Looks like they're still trying to appease people.

by Hacksaw
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Well at least he popped that Burkhead.

• 1 / 1
10 posts Apr 18 2024