17 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by phoenixrising
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

ramsman34 wrote:I don't subscribe to this at all. The problem with our TE's is scheme and play calling, not talent. Had McVay used them/went more 12-personnel, we probably win the SB.

Both have developed nicely and Everett has insane potential.

Doesn't talent dictate playcalling? McVay is not averse to throwing to the TE.
I agree about Everett. His blocking had to improve and it did.

by phoenixrising
5 years 2 months ago
Veteran

dieterbrock wrote:Not understanding this. A FB? For what purpose? Pass blocking?
Don’t understand what a FB does other than take the place of a contributing player, either 3rd WR or 2nd TE

A FB can do things TE's can't, like iso on a LB (unless the TE lines up as FB). Maybe not too useful on zone stretch runs, but against NE it might have been helpful to have someone in Donta Hightower's grill.

by phoenixrising
5 years 2 months ago
Veteran

Elvis wrote:You could motion Higbee into the backfield and use him like a FB if you wanted to...

Yeah, I alluded to that, but I think that's outside his comfort zone. And being 6-6, it's tough to get the leverage.

by 69RamFan
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   3171  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Dick84 wrote:I would dump the 3rd TE and add a fullback.

McVay should of never cut TE/FB Cory Harkey,,,

I was a fan favorite of him... A great blocker on the end and for FB....
and its not like he couldn't catch the rock,,, he always seemed to slip into the flats getting open... I was really disappointed when he got cut...

He is still available... and only 28yrs of age..

by R4L
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

Dick84 wrote:I'm not arguing *against* upgrading TE, although I think Everett will keep getting better.
I'm saying adding a fullback opens up something different.

True. McVay tried to get a FB in the draft with Sam Rogers, but when he wasn't the answer they never replaced him.

I always liked Buford McGee on those 80s teams. Was a good pass catcher and a decent runner when called upon. I like the idea.

by ramsman34
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8522  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

phoenixrising wrote:Doesn't talent dictate playcalling? McVay is not averse to throwing to the TE.
I agree about Everett. His blocking had to improve and it did.

Of course, but I think trust is as big or bigger - and that too is based on talent. But it's also having intricate knowledge of the complete offense, not just one's individual role. Not sure Higs or Everett have that level of offensive command...yet. But it should be fully engrained this upcoming season.

McVay simply has to expand his playbook when it comes to personnel. There is too much film on what's been done to date, and even to the fan's eye we started looking predictable at the end of the season.

The biggest key is the O-line; getting bigger and more physical without losing the athleticism that is required for the zone run game and pass pro, while being able to add in more man-blocking, and power-G/center pull, center and guard pull/power run schemes.

Basically, the offense needs to be adept and efficient at being more multiple. I see that as an off-season goal.

Same applies to the D: Creating the ability to be more multiple/unpredictable in the fronts, stunts, twists, blitzes, and coverages.

We have a tremendous nucleus to build these scheme upgrades. Need another magical off season in player retention/acquisition to make it completely implementable.

• 2 / 2
17 posts Apr 18 2024