13 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by aeneas1
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

the rams current roster... i knew that they went the free agent route, but was a little surprised to see just how free agent heavy they actually were... the top of the chart shows the 15 offensive and 15 defensive players that played the most snaps in 2018, 14 of of the 30, almost 50%, were acquired from other teams... personally i'm not a big believer in "you must build through the draft", whatever works is fine with me, but that's a lot of cheap rookie contracts taken up by a lot of non-cheap rookie contracts... red text = acquired from another team:

VirtualBox_2019-02-08_03-16-43.png

by CanuckRightWinger
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Hey aeneas1,
Um.....not to nitpick or anything.....
AND, at the risk of looking like George Costanza asking for extra bread in the soup-nazi line-up :? ....

....um...maybe a coupla other guys on the lists should be in red font also, maybe...??
ME: Why am I perspiring? :shock2:

Just asking...
Didn't Les Snead snag Marquis Christian from Cards when their HC Bruce Blowhard Arians got sloppy trying to hide MC in a 2016 personnel shuffle?

Darrel Williams the young OT from Tyler Higbee's school, Western Kentucky, we purloined from the 49ers, no?

Maybe Austin Proehl was Buffalo's 7th Round pick last April?

Blake Countess was a Philly Draft pick in 2016 (6th Rounder I think)

LB Garrett Sickels was UDFA of Colts in 2017, then went to Browns, and we picked him up after Cleveland cut him. Anybody could've missed that on this low-profile Nittany Lion! Ha. Ha. :?

ME: Why do I feel like I'm on a Vatican City Easter pilgrimage and the Pope grants me a surprise audience, and I am asking him why his vestments are not purple!!! :? :arrow2: :(

......all your other ones were perfect....I had thought Johnny Mundt came from another team, but no, no....you were right,
Mundt was a Rams UDFA....definitely.

Appreciate all your posts.....volumes of work you put out....just wanted to raise a couple of points. Hopefully they're all correct....

Thanking you in advance for your future good works!

Humbly Yours,

CRW

ME: Now...ugh...am starting to feel some chest pains.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hey, A1, seriously....just trying to assist RFU's tireless statistician. ;) :arrow2: 8-)

by PARAM
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:the rams current roster... i knew that they went the free agent route, but was a little surprised to see just how free agent heavy they actually were... the top of the chart shows the 15 offensive and 15 defensive players that played the most snaps in 2018, 14 of of the 30, almost 50%, were acquired from other teams... personally i'm not a big believer in "you must build through the draft", whatever works is fine with me, but that's a lot of cheap rookie contracts taken up by a lot of non-cheap rookie contracts... red text = acquired from another team

I would beg to differ just a bit.

The "free agent route" is costly, particularly for the guys like Suh and Whitworth because you're paying a premium on premium talent. But guys like Cooks, Talib and Peters were not free agents but rather trades for which we gave up draft picks. In Cooks case it was just like a draft pick that was extended. Probably better than a draft pick because he came already seasoned.

I'd like to know how we fit in the NFL picture compared to other teams as far as signed UFA's, extended trades, draft picks and UDFA's. It's an accepted belief (without actually checking) that the Steelers are heavy on draft picks and UDFA's rather than UFA's. The Patriots seem to do a lot of trading (though that may be incorrect). I always believed the Cowboys were more UFA's than draft picks but that may also be inaccurate.

I do like the way Snead & Co. went with trades and free agents like Woods. I can't wait to see what they pull off in the coming months.

Will they resign Fowler? Will Obo take his place. Will Barron be jettisoned with Kizer taking his place? It would be nice to start developing some more of the draft picks from the last 2 years.

by phoenixrising
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

PARAM wrote:I would beg to differ just a bit.

The "free agent route" is costly, particularly for the guys like Suh and Whitworth because you're paying a premium on premium talent. But guys like Cooks, Talib and Peters were not free agents but rather trades for which we gave up draft picks. In Cooks case it was just like a draft pick that was extended. Probably better than a draft pick because he came already seasoned.

I'd like to know how we fit in the NFL picture compared to other teams as far as signed UFA's, extended trades, draft picks and UDFA's. It's an accepted belief (without actually checking) that the Steelers are heavy on draft picks and UDFA's rather than UFA's. The Patriots seem to do a lot of trading (though that may be incorrect). I always believed the Cowboys were more UFA's than draft picks but that may also be inaccurate.

I do like the way Snead & Co. went with trades and free agents like Woods. I can't wait to see what they pull off in the coming months.

Will they resign Fowler? Will Obo take his place. Will Barron be jettisoned with Kizer taking his place? It would be nice to start developing some more of the draft picks from the last 2 years.

I agree, I get annoyed reading how the Rams "loaded up on free agents" this year. Even Suh wasn't technically a free agent since he was cut. The others were trades, and generally paid below market value due to character concerns and other issues. But the big distinction is they are not giving up comp picks.

Another annoyance is hearing "the Rams only have five draft picks." Due to Snead sheparding the comp picks they will likely have the full allotment with the exception of losing a second and adding a third IIRC.

by Hacksaw
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Heavy is the head who wears the crown...

by aeneas1
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Dick84 wrote:It’s interesting, but I’m unsure the significance.
Two year out from a coaching & scheme change, I think I would expect a good number of imports, especially since a talent upgrade was needed.
Looking at trends on the Rams, they’ve been drafting well, despite no first rounders, the last 3 years, imo.
Goff & Higbee in 16.. that’s a win.
17.. 2 excellent starters in Kupp & Johnson.. two guys who have started & performed well in Reynolds & Ebukam.. and a guy who seems to be good and improving in Everett.
18 is a tougher call. I’m sure I’m overly enthusiastic on Noteboom.. but I think he’s a starting LT... huge value. JFM is, at least, a guy who is a very high rotation guy, if not starter, next year.
Kelly looks like good depth, to me.
Kiser is a beast on STs, but I have no idea if he can be more than that.
Allen. He’s looked fine, but I can’t get over his lack of size. Maybe I’m off.
Obo & Joseph-Day are mysteries... but the team thought enough to keep them around.
I think Demby is just a guy... we’ll see.

Looking at Rams roster... I really see an effort to trade back and get more picks. 4 before the 3rd round would be great.
I have no idea if any of them will be starters. So much depends on FA. The only opening I see as a sure thing is Free Safety.

agree 100%, and as i mentioned i've never bought into the notion that it's imperative to build through draft... moreover, i dropped the ball on the post, i wanted to illustrate the number of acquisitions from other teams vs rams drafted and udfa guys, but mistakenly added "free agent" to the post which clearly took the thread in an unintended direction, ha ha...

by ramsman34
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8522  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

One thing about Allen at OC - with the copycat league looking for "Aaron Donald types", having center with a low "center" of gravity is a good thing. IF he is strong, mobile and explosive. Allen displays those traits so far. I beieve ALL of our drafte depth will be high qulity contributors. I also believe that Snead will repeat the so-called "all in" model this offseason. Gerald McCoy anyone? or get Suh on a sweetheart deal - her REALLY likes being in LA and knows he has the greatest shot at a SB ring here, or KC,Nola, NE. Our losses can be mitigated by players on the roster, the draft, and F/A - we SHOULD actually improve next season. I just hope the "hangover" of that last loss doesn't undermine drive, planning, and execution

by ramsman34
5 years 2 months ago

Dick84 wrote:I don't like Allen's size.
I really like everything else I've seen/heard about him.
And... good point. Could be more ring chasers out there.

Size is not as important as strength/power, arm length- to a degree, athleticism, and explosiveness. IMO. Don't care how tall or heavy a guys is, frankly - can he match power with power, quickness with quickness?

by phoenixrising
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   816  
United States of America   Arroyo Grande, CA
Veteran

I was pretty skeptical about Allen regarding his size. Still am. But from what little I saw, he seemed to be able to anchor against some much larger DT's. I think Kromer likes Centers that are quick enough to get around and set an edge rather than plow horses.

by ramsman34
5 years 2 months ago

Dick84 wrote:I believe that, to an extent. And he really looks like he gets leverage and is intense.
But.. short arms are short arms.

My only concern.

• 1 / 2
13 posts Apr 18 2024