23 posts
  • 1 / 3
 by actionjack
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   3945  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

for those not on twitter Per Ben Baldwin (Athletic Seattle)

"My choice for play of the game:

Score tied 3-3, 11:37 left in the game, Gurley gains 13 yards to NE 44, but called back by penalty. Rams would punt and NE then scored TD in 5 plays.

PFR's win prob calculator puts this as a 10 percentage point (65% vs 55%) win probability swing"

Me: I have tried to let this play go, but it keeps getting brought up on Twitter and the like.
I just dont understand making this call, when nothing was remotely obvious. I thought the mantra is let them play in the Super Bowl. This call may very well have cost us the game. Normally I say you have to outplay the refs, but this one was so senseless. The Rams were finally getting into a bit of a groove. I think it changed the momo of the game. Ugh what might have been.

by dieterbrock
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   11512  
United States of America   New Jersey
Hall of Fame

9 penalties for the Rams is not exactly “letting them play”
That said, the Goff late throw to Cooks, the miss on wide open Reynolds and the Cooks drop/DPI are much more haunting to me.

by actionjack
5 years 2 months ago
Superstar

dieterbrock wrote:9 penalties for the Rams is not exactly “letting them play”
That said, the Goff late throw to Cooks, the miss on wide open Reynolds and the Cooks drop/DPI are much more haunting to me.

Good point but they arent going to let false starts go etc. The Cooks drops haunt me as well.

by DirtyFacedKid
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   973  
United States of America   San Clemente
Veteran

I'm gonna catch hate for this, but we really shouldn't be saying anything about penalties or non-calls for a long time. It's just not a good look.

It was our performance and missed opportunities. Plain and simple.

by AvengerRam
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Not that this is an excuse for a horrible call, but I think what happened was that the defender was pushed back and fell over Whitworth, which the ref somehow interpreted as Sullivan dragging him down to the ground.

by actionjack
5 years 2 months ago
Superstar

DirtyFacedKid wrote:I'm gonna catch hate for this, but we really shouldn't be saying anything about penalties or non-calls for a long time. It's just not a good look.

Again I said you have to beat the refs, it was just that close of game where calls can make a difference. We lost w,e didnt play well on offense. Just still bugs.

by aeneas1
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

what i continue to find haunting:

punt
punt
punt
punt
punt
punt
punt
punt
field goal
punt
interception
missed field goal

by snackdaddy
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

DirtyFacedKid wrote:I'm gonna catch hate for this, but we really shouldn't be saying anything about penalties or non-calls for a long time. It's just not a good look.

Yeah, I'm not gonna focus on a bad call by the refs when we played as poorly as we did on offense. One thing I will say, the Rams handled it with much more class than the Saints. No coach or player ever mentioned that bad call. I have yet to hear Payton take accountability for his poor decisions. Or Brees for that bad throw that saved a timeout for the Rams. Payton has done nothing but play the victim card.

by Ramsdude
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   1071  
United States of America   Pa.
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:Belichick keeping his eye on McVay...

Wow. IMO, that's very interesting! Why would he care about being able to see McVay? There has gotta be a reason. There is nobody better at deciphering signal than Belicheat. With all the practice he had filming teams signals, he most likely seen them all.

I would bet money there was a very good reason for his concern. Wouldn't you love to hear what BB says for the whole game? Might shed some light on things for sure!

• 1 / 3
23 posts Apr 18 2024