70 posts
  • 4 / 7
 by Elvis
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   38495  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

St. Loser Fan wrote:I'm just picturing the employees at the restaurants and truck stops in Baker CA about 2 hours after the end of the Las Vegas Raiders games, standing there in fear, looking eastward with dread, waiting for the waves of unwashed masses that will at any moment be at their businesses.

Home of the world's tallest thermometer.

Time to buy stock in the Mad Greek?

by BobCarl
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   4306  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

Hacksaw wrote:Not sure we can consider LV NV a suburb of LA

Yes, that's true... the concept is a bit of a stretch.... one wouldn't exactly drive to Las Vegas and back only to visit their favorite restaurant for fried chicken.

On the other hand .... if one considers the concept of "suburb" as defined 50 years ago, and then adjusts for inflation ... the inflation of ease of transportation, or the feasibility of sourcing water and electricity, as well as the inflation of the technology and advancements of being able to drive to a Rams game at the Raiders stadium and get back home in the same day ... then the concept of sub-burb isn't far fetched.

by Hacksaw
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

BobCarl wrote:Yes, that's true... the concept is a bit of a stretch.... one wouldn't exactly drive to Las Vegas and back only to visit their favorite restaurant for fried chicken.

On the other hand .... if one considers the concept of "suburb" as defined 50 years ago, and then adjusts for inflation ... the inflation of ease of transportation, or the feasibility of sourcing water and electricity, as well as the inflation of the technology and advancements of being able to drive to a Rams game at the Raiders stadium and get back home in the same day ... then the concept of sub-burb isn't far fetched.

But your not taking in to consideration plate-tectonics. Suburbs used to be closer together pre technology. ;)

by moklerman
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:Yes, that's true... the concept is a bit of a stretch.... one wouldn't exactly drive to Las Vegas and back only to visit their favorite restaurant for fried chicken.

According to Google Maps, it's about a 9 hour drive from Oakland to Las Vegas. Not sure they're accounting for traffic either. When I lived in LV, rush hour on the I-15 was bad and that was back in '98. I've heard plenty of horror stories about how it is nowadays and who knows how bad it will be after an NFL game.

So, best case scenario from Oakland is 18 hours round trip plus around 4 hours stadium time. Makes it seem unlikely that anyone from Oakland will be making it a 1 day trip.

About 4 1/2 hours from LA makes it a pretty long one day trip and I'm still not sure how much that takes into account traffic. I'd have to say that suburb is a bit of an optimistic designation.

That isn't to say that people will need much of an excuse to go to Las Vegas though. IMO, there will be tons of people leaving on Friday and making a weekend of it but a 1 day trip from LA or Oakland seems like a lot.

by BobCarl
5 years 2 months ago
Superstar

moklerman wrote:So, best case scenario from Oakland is 18 hours round trip plus around 4 hours stadium time. Makes it seem unlikely that anyone from Oakland will be making it a 1 day trip.
Agreed ...not many if any would drive that. I tend to think that those that can afford the price of their PSLs will likely fly in and out for the games.

by aeneas1
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

flew to vegas a few years back, hadn't been there in forever, had an awesome time which i wasn't expecting, took the oakland to vegas flight during the middle of the week, dirt cheap, absolutely packed, asked the stewardess if there was something special going on in vegas and she said nope, that the flights were always full, sf north-bayers fly back and forth to vegas like it's nothing, an hour and a half each way, i expect plenty of raiders fans will be more than happy to fly to vegas for some games, hell it will be the perfect excuse for them to go to vegas...

by St. Loser Fan
5 years 2 months ago
 Total posts:   10517  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:Agreed ...not many if any would drive that. I tend to think that those that can afford the price of their PSLs will likely fly in and out for the games.

But if you want gear to tailgate with before and after the game, someone has to drive.

When a group of us went to Dallas to see a Rams game a buddy and I drove his big SUV down/back so we could have a canopy, coolers, grill, etc while the rest flew.

by BobCarl
5 years 2 months ago
Superstar

Good thing Mark Davis isn't isn't the President of the U.S. I can only imagine what would happen if he tried to get a wall built across the southern border.

When you're the poorest owner of a NFL team, you can't emotionally blurt things out to the press that even the richest owner has never said.

Gotta love the passion of Mark Davis, but right now he has some egg on his face.

Now he has to either spend a year being homeless or spend a year in the house of the bitch (Mayor) he just divorced.

• 4 / 7
70 posts Apr 24 2024