23 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by ramsman34
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   8654  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Haden wrote:If Stafford wanted more $$$ before, he will really want it now!

Yep, but the Rams were gonna pay regardless. Now it’s about length of extension and how long he actually wants to play. I see a 3 year extension but him only playing 3 of the 6 years starting this season.

by Dare
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   107  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Practice Squad

I'm happy for Jared. He earned the $$. It's like I've been saying, sometimes it isn't the player, but how he's played. He was a poor fit for McVay's offense back then. However, he would be a very good fit with the current version of McVay's ball control scheme. Campbell played to Goff's strength and that is the difference. People said Jared couldn't read defenses, but he did at Cal and now in Detroit.

The bottom line is Goff wasn't McVay's QB. He was the QB Sean inherited. It's also why IMO the next Ram QB1 could be another retread. As long as Stafford can stay healthy he's got a job in LA. That said, he's been injured every year since he arrived which is why I've been saying betting on Stafford is a bad bet in the long run. He would need another 2023 type of season to be here in 2025. He's technically under contract through 2026, but 2024 in reality is the final year of his extension as the last two years were option years to spread the cap hit. It's why Stafford no longer has a guaranteed salary after 2024 and its why he's been saying he wants guaranteed money to play in 2025. If he has another 2022 type season this will be his last season.

It's why Jimmy G. is here. He gives them an option for 2025. Jimmy is a scheme fit for McVay's current offense. Jimmy's problem is he will hold the ball too long or make a bad read. At most I see Jimmy at most as a bridge type option. I don't see Bennett as a starting option. I think he might make the PS this year but that might be it.

The other aspect is if the Rams win another Lombardi this year, the temptation to retire on top would be huge for Stafford. Two rings would cement his HOF credentials.

There is no question that the Rams are looking at their options at QB1 beyond this year and their decision on Stafford will wait until January, which is the right way to approach it.

by actionjack
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   4053  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Elvis wrote:

One thing I know watching both of their careers. I want Stafford at the switch when we need to score late in the game. See 2022 playoffs games

by Elvis
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   38827  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I was surprised their sack numbers were the same. We know Stafford is much better under pressure, probably better at processing information too but that's harder to say...

by rams74
2 weeks 3 days ago
 Total posts:   1497  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Elvis wrote:I was surprised their sack numbers were the same. We know Stafford is much better under pressure, probably better at processing information too but that's harder to say...

Yes, but Goff has had a better offensive line most of that time. Which is why we just poached his left guard.

I don't know how you compare and filter sack numbers based on stuff like that.

by ramsman34
2 weeks 2 days ago
 Total posts:   8654  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

I’m with Action. Shit going south around him and Stafford makes more plays, more often. Or that’s how it seems. I hope they rework his contract an he commits for 3 more seasons including this one.

by Elvis
2 weeks 2 days ago
 Total posts:   38827  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Looking like they go head to head week 1 SNF in Detroit. We’ll know soon…

by /zn/
2 weeks 2 days ago
 Total posts:   6793  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

rams74 wrote:Yes, but Goff has had a better offensive line most of that time. Which is why we just poached his left guard.

I don't know how you compare and filter sack numbers based on stuff like that.

We knew at the trade that Stafford was a better qb than Goff, which doesn't make Goff a bad qb. In fact he's a top 10 qb. Neither one of the 2 plays particularly well behind bad OLs.

I had 2 distinct positions at the time of the trade.

1. Some very good articles in the past have shown that Goff & McV had a "bad marriage." One quoted a former Rams coach who said that McV knew how to tear JG down but not how to build him back up. In 2019 McV became the de facto qb coach and by 2020 Goff had confidence issues. Doing it completely differently, the Lions made a point of building JG's confidence while building the offense around his strengths. Which worked.

2. But having said that the minute the trade happened I defended it. If the coach and the qb have a bad marriage, one's gotta go...and it wasn't going to be McVay. Plus Stafford always was a great qb IMO, though he was marooned on a bad Detroit team. Him coming to LA worked for both Stafford and McVay. McVay was too impatient with a young Goff but would never be impatient that way with a veteran Stafford...in fact if anything McVay would listen to Stafford. And that's what happened. Stafford talks about their "collaboration." It works to the advantage of both.

Meanwhile the difference between Goff in 2020 and in 2023 is playing with confidence.

• 2 / 3
23 posts May 31 2024