13 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by Elvis
2 weeks 3 hours ago
 Total posts:   38766  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

We're not gonna cut and past a piece she worked a year on here. If you want to read it, find your way to the Athletic. It's pretty great.

But i really did want to talk about it.

She has the 9 buckets Snead uses to put players in. I'll post them here at some point. Maybe that's already out there and i just haven't seen it but it's the first time for me.

The Rams are really careful about the interview process. They don't do many, if any, top 30 visits because those get reported to the league and leak. It came out that the Rams had met with Chop Robinson but the same scout had also met with Jared Verse and that never came out. So those of us trying to read tea leaves are always gonna have problems with this stuff.

She talks about the unwritten rules of scouts on the road, words to live by here:

"Stay at hotels with free breakfast, fill an insulated coffee cup with eggs and bacon and bring it to the school to consume mid-morning."

by actionjack
2 weeks 2 hours ago
 Total posts:   4039  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Elvis wrote:We're not gonna cut and past a piece she worked a year on here. If you want to read it, find your way to the Athletic. It's pretty great.

She has the 9 buckets Snead uses to put players in. I'll post them here at some point. Maybe that's already out there and i just haven't seen it but it's the first time for me.

The Rams are really careful about the interview process. They don't do many, if any, top 30 visits because those get reported to the league and leak. It came out that the Rams had met with Chop Robinson but the same scout had also met with Jared Verse and that never came out. So those of us trying to read tea leaves are always gonna have problems with this stuff.

She talks about the unwritten rules of scouts on the road, words to live by here:

"Stay at hotels with free breakfast, fill an insulated coffee cup with eggs and bacon and bring it to the school to consume mid-morning."

The are great articles, I love the second one in particular as we get more inside info on their process on the road. Very cool on how it was used to draft Puka.

Side note going to be interesting to me see which player pans out the best Cooper Dejean or Fiske, both got traded up for, for picks 39 and 40 respectively. Who's process was better, Rams or Eagles...we will see.

by Elvis
2 weeks 2 hours ago
 Total posts:   38766  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

actionjack wrote:Side note going to be interesting to me see which player pans out the best Cooper Dejean or Fiske, both got traded up for, for picks 39 and 40 respectively. Who's process was better, Rams or Eagles...we will see.

Listening to the analytics guys, trading up just isn't smart. One reason is the players teams trade up for don't hit any more often than the ones they don't. So it's better to have more picks.

That's obviously on average. We'll see how Fiske and Djean do.

by actionjack
2 weeks 2 hours ago
 Total posts:   4039  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Listening to the analytics guys, trading up just isn't smart. One reason is the players teams trade up for don't hit any more often than the ones they don't. So it's better to have more picks.

That's obviously on average. We'll see how Fiske and Djean do.

Doesnt surprise me that the numbers say that, as drafting in general is risky, but these two GM's are allegedly towards the top. so I will be very curious how these two players perform.
I will say this for the Rams Im glad we have Fiske over Dejean. Not sold that Dejean can make a significant impact in the NFL, where I see Fiske being a problem almost immediately based on his dominance at the senior bowl.

by ramsman34
2 weeks 1 hour ago
 Total posts:   8637  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Elvis wrote:We're not gonna cut and past a piece she worked a year on here. If you want to read it, find your way to the Athletic. It's pretty great.

Fascinating read. The life of a scout is not for many. That is a tough gig. But damn, what an organization and process they have created and are continuing to evolve.

by Rams1PlateSince1976
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   2092  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

One of my customers is a major league baseball scout and he hates analytics because it can't measure the heart. He quit his gig with a team that went analytics several years ago to join another team. He was a former major league pitcher and good to talk with.

by majik
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   1210  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

Sounds like the plot from “Troubling With the Curve”.

What did the analytics say about Puka Nacua coming out of college?

by 69RamFan
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   3213  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

I don't prescribe to the Athletic,

but from listening from another source,

Andy Sugarman special assistant to the GM,

he is one of the main keys in the drafting process,

after our scouts pass down the information to Snead,

Sugarman goes out to do a final interview process,

and has the final say to pass down to Snead.

Plus, they mention how could they get a combo of two defensive players that played together.

They mention about if they traded up for Verse,

then they wouldn't have had enough to trade up for Fiske.

There was no mention from the RAMs about drafting Verse to the rest of the league,

the only leak that they didn't want to get out was about Chop Robinson.

those draft talks about drafting a QB, LT or TE was all a smoke screen,

getting other teams to draft offensive players before 19 or earlier.

So, IMO, their main goal was to draft Verse,

then hoping those other teams would draft offensive players before the 19th pick,

then those edge rushers and DE/DT drop down to the middle of round 1.

It actually happened and made everything come into place.

• 1 / 2
13 posts May 17 2024