440 posts
  • 32 / 44
 by ramsman34
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   8582  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Not a big X guy but the Rams Brothers seem to see things the same way I do. Build the offense to elite level by adding blue chip playmaker in the first, use the rest of the draft to build your defensive rush and front players. They have already fortified the secondary.

by PARAM
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   12270  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

ramsman34 wrote:Not a big X guy but the Rams Brothers seem to see things the same way I do. Build the offense to elite level by adding blue chip playmaker in the first, use the rest of the draft to build your defensive rush and front players. They have already fortified the secondary.

Do we really 'need' another offensive playmaker?

Offense:
Stafford, Williams, Kupp, Puka, Robinson, Tutu, Parkinson, Allen.....8 playmakers (you can never have enough according to McVay)....the part of the offense in need of another playmaker is RB with WR a distant 2nd.

Defense:
DWill, White, Lake, Curl, Durant, Kendricks, Tomlinson, Yeast and Taylor as well as Jones, Young & Turner with yet to emerge Brown, Hampton, Mathis, etc. The part of the defense in need of another playmaker is Edge with ILB second and DT third.

So which way will they go? Like many fans, I lean towards defense. They're not going ILB or RB in the first. Logic suggests WR or Edge with CB, OT or QB as options. Trade down? Trade up? It could be they're in terrific position because nobody (including the rest of the NFL) can single in on a particular spot they should go in the first. I don't know what to expect which is great because it adds suspense to an already suspenseful event. 8 days fellas, 8 days.

by actionjack
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   3987  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:I think the Rams are very specialized in how they draft. The look for traits by position. And THEIR measurables by position They look at football acumen/IQ and love of the game. They look at game speed/measurables over drill times. Injury history of course. How they rank these things is the mystery. But, I think that is how they got Puka, Turner, etc.

I think the football acumen/IQ , leadership and overall love of the game is what the Rams value more then anything and I think has been a key their success. I think if anything they use to get to caught up on some measureables, I think they have gone away from that. However they are one of the first to use GPS data to judge game speed of players which has given them an edge.

by actionjack
1 week 5 days ago
Superstar

PARAM wrote:Do we really 'need' another offensive playmaker?

Offense:
Stafford, Williams, Kupp, Puka, Robinson, Tutu, Parkinson, Allen.....8 playmakers (you can never have enough according to McVay)....the part of the offense in need of another playmaker is RB with WR a distant 2nd.

Defense:
DWill, White, Lake, Curl, Durant, Kendricks, Tomlinson, Yeast and Taylor as well as Jones, Young & Turner with yet to emerge Brown, Hampton, Mathis, etc. The part of the defense in need of another playmaker is Edge with ILB second and DT third.

So which way will they go? Like many fans, I lean towards defense. They're not going ILB or RB in the first. Logic suggests WR or Edge with CB, OT or QB as options. Trade down? Trade up? It could be they're in terrific position because nobody (including the rest of the NFL) can single in on a particular spot they should go in the first. I don't know what to expect which is great because it adds suspense to an already suspenseful event. 8 days fellas, 8 days.

Good post and agree with most if not all of it. But if Peter Schrager says we are going to draft offense with our first round pick than you can pretty much book it.

Looking at the offense the Rams will need to replace Kupp sooner than later and probably need a long term answer at LT and could use an elite TE. Most importantly we need the next QB.

I dont see the Rams moving up high enough to get Bowers, same with QB (maybe address in 2nd round). So that leaves OT and WR. Personally i would much rather have a WR to maximize our 1-2 year window, but solidifying the o-line makes sense for long term. However if we dont have a good to very good QB does it really matter...

It seems the Rams will go defense by committee until next year when AD's large contract is off the books. I still hope we can sign a vet on the cheap to help the pass rush on the edge, otherwise it will be long season against the pass.

by Elvis
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   38618  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Rams kicking the tires on Chop Robinson, Dane Brugler's mock has them taking Verse:

https://theathletic.com/5418352/2024/04 ... e-brugler/

19. Los Angeles Rams: Jared Verse, Edge, Florida State
Since Sean McVay became head coach, the Rams have picked in the top 60 six times — all six have been offensive players. But it feels like that will change this year with the Rams back in the first round and needing so many upgrades on defense, including at edge rusher. Verse brings all-day power and disruption with a motor that doesn’t quit.

And Brugler has Rams taking Nix in the 2nd. Not too much the Rams could do that would make me go "huh?" but that would be one...

by actionjack
1 week 5 days ago
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Rams kicking the tires on Chop Robinson, Dane Brugler's mock has them taking Verse:

And Brugler has Rams taking Nix in the 2nd. Not too much the Rams could do that would make me go "huh?" but that would be one...

I mean, if is it true the Rams are considering a "project" OT with their first round pick, it would not surprise me that Nix or Penix would be an option with a move up in the second round (multiple mocks have done this) especially if they moved back some to get Chop.

Peter Schrager mentioned himself that he see's Stafford for only another 1-2 years...

by PARAM
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   12270  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

actionjack wrote:Peter Schrager mentioned himself that he see's Stafford for only another 1-2 years...

1 or 2 years after this season or 2024 and maybe 2025?

by ramsman34
1 week 4 days ago
 Total posts:   8582  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

I’m sure Staff has a date in mind but it’s a bit of a moving target. He’s told MCV his plan and winning another SB is priority #1.

That’s why I don’t see any QB pick prior to rd 5, maybe one of the 3rds if they nailed the picks prior. If Staff said this is his last season, then all this changes.

by 69RamFan
1 week 4 days ago
 Total posts:   3194  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Elvis wrote:Rams kicking the tires on Chop Robinson, Dane Brugler's mock has them taking Verse:

Thats who I want: ER/Verse
But he is not dropping to 19th.
The RAMs are going to have to trade up to get him.

I can see the Rams trading with Ten for the 7th pick:
Ten: trading their 2024 1st rd 7th pick and 2025 5th rd pick for,

Rams: 2024 1st rd 19th pick and 2024 2nd rd 52 pick,
and 2025 2nd rd pick.

These draft trade value numbers match up.

• 32 / 44
440 posts Apr 29 2024