440 posts
  • 31 / 44
 by actionjack
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   3985  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

I also will be real curious if the Rams grab a ILB with one of their 3rd round picks.
Jones is in his final year, and since the Rams are letting him play it out, they will probably let him walk so we need the next guy.

by 69RamFan
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   3193  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

snackdaddy wrote:Their board may not look like any of ours. The need is on the defensive side of the ball. With so many offensive players going before 19 there should be some good defensive talent left.

Question is, do they draft for need? Rookies usually need a season to acclimate to the speed and strength of the NFL. If its about this year do they draft a defensive guy and hope he's ready day one? Or do they just go BPA no matter the need? Because that could be an offensive lineman.

To say that it takes a year for a player to get acclimated to the speed and strength of the game in the NFL,

I don't see it that way.

I believe with the first 100 picks you should be able to find a plug and play guy right off the bat.

Take a look in what we drafted in 2023 and we came out with four starter:
Avila: 2nd rd, pick 36
Young: 3rd rd, pick 77
Turner: 3rd rd, pick 89
Nacua: 5th rd, pick 177 (PB & AP)

The only position, that we have an opening for a starting position,

is one of our edge rusher position.

At pick 19th, we should be able to get a very good edge rusher,

Even if we had to trade up for that player.

Then the rest of our picks should be best available player,

to fill backup roles or rotational roles.

After viewing tape on the ER, here are my choice in order:

1. Jared Verse: I would trade up for him.

2. Dallas Turner or Chop Robinson

If all three are gone,

Then draft DT:

Byron Murphy II

by ramsman34
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   8576  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

Was listening to Bill Polian this am. He shares your take on the top 100. Teams look there for starters for sure. Anything outside of that has some luck involved.

I agree the Rams have a starting position open at edge. But, you might not be considering who they have on the roster to compete for that spot. Additionally, both edge spots will surely be situationally rotational without AD.

I don’t think they are trading up for an edge player.

I do think they could trade back up into the lower first to get one - after they go offense with their first pick.

The other scenario is the offensive players they want are gone before they can trade up or they aren’t willing to go high enough to get one of the guys they truly covet. Then, a trade down to get more 2nd and 3rd rounders makes sense and they can move to get edge and DL that way.

As always, just my gut opinion.

Gonna be fun here on draft weekend for sure.

And to be sure, I am not discounting your point that they need an edge badly. I just don’t think they trade up to get one. I think throw bodies at the position and see who rises to the top.

And I could be completely wrong in that they may love one of the top guys and think he is worth trading up for. I just don’t see it that way.

by ramsman34
1 week 5 days ago

actionjack wrote:I also will be real curious if the Rams grab a ILB with one of their 3rd round picks.
Jones is in his final year, and since the Rams are letting him play it out, they will probably let him walk so we need the next guy.

If he plays lights out, I can’t see letting him walk. Unless his $$ is just too high.

by Elvis
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   38611  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Just read this:

The gist of it is, it's hard to consistently hit on draft picks so it's better to have more of them, quantity is better than quality.

Also they say trading a 3 this year for a 2 next year is a great deal and more teams should be doing it. If you use the old Jimmy Johnson rule of thumb, a pick gets worse by a round per year, it would be a wash...

by ramsman34
1 week 5 days ago

I think the Rams are very specialized in how they draft. The look for traits by position. And THEIR measurables by position They look at football acumen/IQ and love of the game. They look at game speed/measurables over drill times. Injury history of course. How they rank these things is the mystery. But, I think that is how they got Puka, Turner, etc.

by actionjack
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   3985  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

ramsman34 wrote:If he plays lights out, I can’t see letting him walk. Unless his $$ is just too high.

That is my concern, IF IF he has a big year he is going to test the market 100%. You could read between the lines in his recent pressor, he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder now.

by Elvis
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   38611  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

That's the thing with a prove it deal, if you prove it, you're gonna cost a lot more than you would've the year before. Then again, Dotson proved it and i figured he'd be gone but he's still here.

Then again (part 2), Rams seem to be willing to pay big money vetrans on offense while generally going with vet minimums and rookie deals for the defense.

But then again (part 3), just when you think you see a pattern to what the Rams are doing, they do something else...

by snackdaddy
1 week 5 days ago
 Total posts:   9672  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

69RamFan wrote:To say that it takes a year for a player to get acclimated to the speed and strength of the game in the NFL,

I don't see it that way.

I believe with the first 100 picks you should be able to find a plug and play guy right off the bat.

Take a look in what we drafted in 2023 and we came out with four starter:
Avila: 2nd rd, pick 36
Young: 3rd rd, pick 77
Turner: 3rd rd, pick 89
Nacua: 5th rd, pick 177 (PB & AP)

The only position, that we have an opening for a starting position,

is one of our edge rusher position.

At pick 19th, we should be able to get a very good edge rusher,

Even if we had to trade up for that player.

Then the rest of our picks should be best available player,

to fill backup roles or rotational roles.

After viewing tape on the ER, here are my choice in order:

1. Jared Verse: I would trade up for him.

2. Dallas Turner or Chop Robinson

If all three are gone,

Then draft DT:

Byron Murphy II

I'd prefer one of the top edge guys or Murphy at DT. But I have no idea what approach they will use. They may still have their main focus on offense for all we know.

For me one of Latu/Verse/Turner in the first round. I like T'Vondre Sweat in the second round. He was expected to go higher than 52 but that DWI might drop him further down.

A big 366 pound DT who requires double teams at all times could be one of those space eating run stoppers in the mold of Vita Vea. And could collapse the pocket allowing Kobie to get to the quarterback.

For me the perfect draft in rounds one and two would be Dallas Turner and T'vondre Sweat.

• 31 / 44
440 posts Apr 29 2024