171 posts
  • 16 / 18
 by PARAM
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   12298  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:Just paid for his silence.

If Davis wanted 'silence' why this?........

Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis broke ranks with other NFL owners Wednesday at the league's fall meetings, saying he would like to see a written report of the investigation into the Washington Football Team.

"Probably, yeah," he said in New York. "I think that there should be, yeah. Especially with some of the things that were, I guess, charged. Yeah, I believe so, I think people deserve [a written report], especially people that were, quote, victims."

Davis spoke for about 12 minutes in a wide-ranging back-and-forth conversation with reporters, his first public comments since Jon Gruden resigned as Raiders coach on Oct. 11 following reports that emails he wrote over a 10-year period included racist, anti-gay and misogynistic language. The messages between Gruden, who was employed at the time by ESPN, and then-Washington Football Team president Bruce Allen were uncovered as part of an NFL investigation into workplace misconduct within the Washington organization.

The NFL has said that of the more than 650,000 emails reviewed, the Gruden emails were the only ones of such nature. The league did only an oral report on its findings, not a written one, and commissioner Roger Goodell said Tuesday that a report will not be released, despite public pressure.

Davis was asked if he felt singled out or targeted in an investigation of one franchise that cost another franchise -- his franchise -- its coach.

"We're Raiders," Davis said. "We're used to this and that's what our life is about. But it is disappointing."

On Oct. 13, in the wake of Gruden's resignation, Davis told ESPN, "I have no comment. Ask the NFL. They have all the answers." On Wednesday, though, Davis said he was "disappointed" in what he called a "timing issue" with when the Raiders were made aware of Gruden's emails by the NFL.

"The fact that they may have known about it a couple of months beforehand and didn't let us know," he said, reiterating that the Raiders first heard of the emails in a call from a Wall Street Journal reporter on Oct. 7. The Raiders then spoke to the league a day later; later that same afternoon, the Wall Street Journal reported that Gruden had made a racist comment when referring to NFLPA president DeMaurice Smith in a 2011 email to Allen.

During Tuesday's meetings, Davis asked Goodell why he had learned of the emails only right before they were made public, sources told ESPN's Seth Wickersham.

Although Davis didn't accuse Goodell of leaking the emails, Goodell told the room that the league wasn't behind the leak, sources told ESPN. And Tanya Snyder, wife of WFT owner Dan Snyder, apologized to the room that the league has suffered as a result of the investigation.

"I believe that if we had gotten the information earlier in the summer, when [the NFL] learned about it, it would have been a lot easier for everyone involved. ... Then we could have done something before the season, rather than in the middle of the season," Davis said Wednesday.

The guy is doing a lot of talking for somebody who wants silence!!! And he's got a beef. Over the years, the league has screwed the Raiders every chance they got. Of over 650,000 e-mails, Gruden's are the only ones 'of such nature'? Come on! We're talking about a testosterone driven league with filthy rich guys (read: untouchable in their own eyes) running the show!!

by BobCarl
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   4326  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

PARAM wrote:We're talking about a testosterone driven league with filthy rich guys (read: untouchable in their own eyes) running the show!!

Yes. I wonder what would be uncovered if the owner of the Patriots's e-mails were investigated. As bad as Gruden or worse? Or maybe he deserves a halo.

by St. Loser Fan
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   10564  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

by Elvis
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38827  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

To me the most likely scenario is Gruden was collateral damage in Dan Snyder's attack on Bruce Allen...

by 69superbowl1
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   29  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Undrafted Free Agent

Carroll Rosenbloom must be smiling in ... wherever he is.

by AvengerRam
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

Let me get this straight... you think that your former boss, the most powerful sports organization in the world, which has left entire cities in its wake, is secretly plotting to end the career of a single head coach, and your plan is to sue this organization?

Good luck.

by Haden
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   2142  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
RFU Survivor Champ

In discovery they’ll go after the other 650,000 emails. That may scare some folks

by RamDog
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   215  
United States of America   Atlanta
Rookie

I guess if you have 40 million in the bank from your recent salary, you can afford to toss your hat in the ring and have your fight.

Didnt expect this tbh. Figured he’d tuck his tail and go away silently a la Jeff Fisher.

• 16 / 18
171 posts May 31 2024