15 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by BobCarl
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   4295  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

What’s been the biggest difference between Goff and Stafford?
Jourdan Rodrigue, Rams beat writer: It's how much the multiplicity has increased with Stafford pre- and post-snap. They are running a wider variety of plays and doing so out of the shotgun, from under center, with play-action (but importantly without being dependent on play-action to attain explosive plays) and especially in the dropback passing game.

They are activating all five eligible receivers at a higher rate than ever before, because they trust Stafford's arm ability to find anybody he needs, and they trust his mind to solve any problems that may arise. McVay said, tellingly, this week: "If I'm wrong, he still has a chance of making it right."

How much realistic hope is there for Goff, Lions offense to improve?
Chris Burke, Lions beat writer: The Lions seem to think there's still potential, especially if they can get into a cleaner rhythm early in games — Goff has not taken a single snap with a lead this season. The injuries to tackle Taylor Decker and center Frank Ragnow robbed Detroit of what could have been a borderline dominant offensive line, so the ceiling is fairly low.

That said, in several games, the Lions have been able to move until they reach the red zone. If they can find any way to finish off drives with touchdowns, they could scare a few more opponents.

https://theathletic.com/news/jared-goff ... 7wMDXQ8bL/

by snackdaddy
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

From this untrained eye, its seems like Stafford is more aggressive. More willing to throw downfield. If he makes a mistake he doesn't change what he does. He'll still attack the defense. He has less fear. Goff seemed to get tentative, afraid to make a mistake. And he still made mistakes.

by mike schad 1st rd
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   244  
Rookie

snackdaddy wrote:From this untrained eye, its seems like Stafford is more aggressive. More willing to throw downfield. If he makes a mistake he doesn't change what he does. He'll still attack the defense. He has less fear. Goff seemed to get tentative, afraid to make a mistake. And he still made mistakes.

Yeah, translation: Stafford is significantly better than Goff. No surprise to many of us....

by BobCarl
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   4295  
Superstar

This might be the best piece this writer has ever put out ... It could be his first mention ever of the Rams.

I've been following him (Vic Tafur) since before he got hired by the San Francisco Chronicle ... yes, I knew him from his posts on Raider discussion boards.

I'm happy for Vic to get the gig with The Atlantic ... he has finally matured ... his work with the SF Chronicle was full of bad "sources close to..." and pulling crap out of his a$$,

With no further ado:

The Rams feel bad about the way they kicked Jared Goff to the curb last spring. Sean McVay said it again this week as he and his 5-1 team get ready to face their old quarterback and the Lions.

Goff for sure had this date circled on his calendar — play along, I know people don’t use calendars anymore — but by now he has ripped the thing off the wall. The Lions are 0-6 and coach Dan Campbell thinks Goff is not biting enough kneecaps. It was obvious back when they traded Matthew Stafford for Goff and a bunch of draft picks, but Goff is taking the rap for 0-17 or 1-16.

And Campbell is not wrong (if finger-pointing can ever be right). The Lions have yet to play an offensive snap with a lead this season, and Goff has not played well.

One reason the Lions have been somewhat attractive as an underdog betting option (they are 3-3 against the spread) is because their offensive line gives Goff time to take shots down the field. And Goff usually doesn’t do it. Yes, his receivers are not very good, but Goff should have a nothing-to-lose mentality and the film shows they are open at times.

This week, Goff and the Lions are getting 15.5 points against the Rams. That’s like getting three free punches in at the start of a fight. It sounds too good to be true … and it is.

The Rams may feel badly about how their ex is doing and the whole breakup via text thing, but not bad enough where they won’t be laughing after picking him off three times Sunday.

The only thing worse than a tentative QB is one that is forcing things — Goff can’t win here, and maybe the Lions can’t either this season.

https://theathletic.com/2905351/2021/10 ... -stafford/

by Elvis
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Having the Athletic reporters get together for the Raiders/Rams scrimmage was pretty cool.

15 is a lot of points for a NFL game. I'd be leaning underdog but i think i'd leave this one alone. As Vic has mentioned, Detroit has covered a lot of games, nearly won a couple. They're a laughing stock at the moment but they've been competitive. I won't be surprised if they are on Sunday...

by PARAM
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Detroit has covered a lot of games, nearly won a couple. They're a laughing stock at the moment but they've been competitive. I won't be surprised if they are on Sunday...

Does Jared Goff have the ability to leverage the chip on his shoulder into a good game Sunday? I'd say 90% of Ram fans don't think so. And even if he can summon up JG2018, can their defense stop the Rams? They only allowed 19 to Baltimore and Minnesota, 24 to Chicago but 34 to Cincy and SF, 35 to Green Bay.

Lions defense
252 pass yds/game allowed; 27 of 20 yards or more (4th worst); 6 of 40 yards or more (3rd worst)
132 rushing yds/game allowed; 5 of 20 yards or more (5th worst)
They're allowing 27.5 PPG (29 at home; 26 on the road)

We shall soon see.

by CanuckRightWinger
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

Per former Lion player Joique Bell on some of the differences between Goff & Stafford:
click on Detroit Lions, then it's the eighth piece for Joique Bell's verbage

by Hacksaw
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Elvis wrote:More good stuff from the Athletic:

Neither Jared Goff nor Matthew Stafford has had any interest in creating additional headlines this week, ahead of their first game against their respective former teams. Stafford spoke Wednesday of his appreciation for the fans of Detroit and the people within the Lions organization; Goff admitted there was some lingering emotion over his Rams split — L.A. coach Sean McVay all but packing Goff’s bags for him while pursuing Stafford — but added that, mostly, he’s excited to go visit his former home.

“I’ve got so many great memories and so many friendships and lifelong bonds and people that I’ll talk to forever and all of that,” Goff said. “I think the sourness is there still from how it ended, but there are so much more of good things that happened that make you appreciative for those times and appreciative that you’re able to experience them and be a big part of them.”

no karma defeats. the end.

by 69RamFan
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   3169  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Per former Lion player Joique Bell on some of the differences between Goff & Stafford:
click on Detroit Lions, then it's the eighth piece for Joique Bell's verbage

I haven't watched any games of Detroit, just the highlights.

But just looking at the box score sheets from all of their games,

There were two games that the Lions were winning and should of won,

but with less than a one min and four seconds left in one game and with a 3rd down and 19 to go at the Ravens 16yrd line,

they give up a big play, and they lose that game on a 66yd FG,

The other game against the Vikings, they lost with 33 secs left in the game at the Vikes 18yd line,

and they drive down with two deep passes and one short to kick a 53yd FG and the Lions lose the game.

Both games, that was on the defense.

For a former player/Bell, stating that Goff is soft and doesnt want to take a hit,

He needs to go watch some tape when he was on the RAMs and in College.

Goff took plenty of hits and he gets up and keeps on ticking,,,

They are just a bad team, all around,

Does Goff needs good players around him, for him to be good, Yes...

But all QBs need good players around them to be successful....

Good example, look at Staff in Detroit last year and look at Staff with the RAMs this year.

And Staff had better players around him last season than what Goff has this season.

And don't get me wrong, I rather have Staff on our team...

• 1 / 2
15 posts Apr 16 2024