20 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by max
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

Martz is a HOF OC. A brilliant but flawed football mind that got exposed as a HC. The way he botched the end of the playoff game against the Panthers, I found unforgivable as a Rams fan.

by aeneas1
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:I'm such a big McVay and Martz fan it always amuses me when people compare McVay to Martz as an insult. I mean i get it, sort of. It just doesn't make any sense to me...

i don't think i've ever seen someone do this (or noticed it)...

re the article, i noticed it was from 2017, and seemed to be much kinder to vermeil than some of the articles written during the gsot days, especially in terms of making vermeil look like the gsot architect (he was steadily putting together a solid roster, he was all in on air martz from the start, etc, etc..).

there were at least a couple of very in-depth articles written when it was all taking place, iirc bernie wrote one of them which was great, that talked about vermeil's reluctance to go with warner, his backing of banks, how he wanted to bring in paul justin and give him a close look (justin's health ultimately prevented him from competing for the #1 job iirc), his early unhappiness with faulk, the team's unhappiness with vermiel during the '98 season... in fact i remember purchasing nfl films "america's game" about the gsot, that featured a ton of rams sideline footage, and half the time vermeil looked like he was fit to be tied as the rams threw the ball around, ha ha.

by Elvis
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   38452  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Twitter search McMartz, it's a thing...

by BobCarl
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   4296  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

aeneas1 wrote:bernie wrote one of them which was great

5% of the time ( actually less than 5%) Bernie was the best writer in all of the NFL.... 95% of the time he was the worst ... his lack of writing leadership led the rest of St. Louis to follow his 95% "mail it in" penmanship.

Just imagine if Martz or McVay "mailed it" on 95% of the plays.

by aeneas1
2 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Twitter search McMartz, it's a thing...

ok gotchya, i thought you were referring to people doing it here at the forum.... anyway, weird thing to do imo...

by aeneas1
2 years 5 months ago
Hall of Fame

BobCarl wrote:5% of the time ( actually less than 5%) Bernie was the best writer in all of the NFL.... 95% of the time he was the worst ... his lack of writing leadership led the rest of St. Louis to follow his 95% "mail it in" penmanship.

Just imagine if Martz or McVay "mailed it" on 95% of the plays.

bernie could be a blowhard, and far from unbiased, in fact i used to regularly jump on the anti bernie bandwagon with a lot of the other posters, and there were many, that said he did put out some fantastic pieces, some quality pieces, pieces that could only be done by a guy with his local contacts and local passion.

by LoyalRam
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   248  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Martz was doomed near the end by being involved in the draft process. He was a great offensive mind, but also thought he could easily replace most individuals on the team.
Snead will draft the players that McVay needs. I'm sure that there is a synergy between them, but Snead and his scouts know talent and have done such a stellar job without having 1st round picks. Also, Free Agency and trades have kept our team at the top of the NFL. Seeing that last 8-8 team of Martz's is like watching something terrible about to happen in retrospect.

by Hacksaw
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

For all the low hanging fruit we waded through and the suicide moments we've fought off over those StL / SpagsHasLinnehan years, this team is clearly creating that new balance. Righting the ship from its capsized equilibrium.
I questiond some moves along the way. Especially bucking the age old Draft capital perception. Whether forced to or by choice, the Rams methodology is again changing things up in the NFL. We should all be very proud of our favorite franchise.

by PARAM
2 years 5 months ago
 Total posts:   12243  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

The Rams don't worry about 1st round picks. They don't worry about handing out huge contracts. And they don't worry about feelings, trading away players who were considered huge parts of the team. Peters. Talib. Cooks.

And with the Lions game looming Sunday, a lot is being made of 'the Goff trade' and how it went down. JG claims he hadn't heard from the Rams between the Green Bay game and when he was told of the trade. And McVay basically apologized for the lack of communication leading up to the trade. But there was a good point made by Cowherd today.

He said (paraphrasing), "if you're going to fire somebody in the mail room, you don't do it on Christmas Day. Me? My salary dictates I can be fired any day of the year." And he's right. Goff was paid a kings ransom so being traded or how he was traded or the lack of communication leading up to the trade is irrelevant. Cowherd added, "maybe if they spent time talking to Goff, Stafford is in Indianapolis. I don't want that. Make the deal. Apologize later." And apparently, Snead and McVay are on the same page when it comes to that.

Good for Ram fans!

• 2 / 2
20 posts Apr 18 2024