15 posts
  • 1 / 2
 by norcalramfan
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   321  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Starter

Coach D has to get the ST group to play much better. First kickoff last week and today saw the return man go backside for a long run. Not sure who was supposed to protect the backside and hold containment but that needs to be tightened up.

WTH was that long snap into Nick Scott and where's Tutu? Noticed Tutu had one punt catch for no gain, but was oddly replaced by Cooper Kupp when the Colts punted deep into Rams territory. Does Coach D and Sean lack confidence in Tutu? Is he shaky on fielding Punts?

Very surprised we haven't seen four-wide sets (at least occasionally) with Woods, Kupp, Jefferson and Jackson. We've gone four-wide on occasion but Higbee has been one of the fours WR's.

Gotta think McVay is going to dial up Tutu on a jet sweep or WR screen or something to see if he can break one for a long play. The Rams enjoy using a "redshirt" year for some of their draftees, but shouldn't a second rounder have some playing time?

by Hacksaw
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

I'd like to think so but something might be up. McV doesn't play rookies much either. The only time I saw Tutu in he nearly caused a turnover. DJax was in but never saw a target iirc.
And yeah, that snap made me miss McQuaid.

by majik
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1201  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

Don’t think the snap was the LS’ fault. Nick Scott has to get out of the line of the snap when he shifts

by Hacksaw
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Really bonehead, , especially that deep. Glad the team could overcome it.

by Elvis
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   38448  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

Tutu is a rookie who has fielded exactly one punt so far in the NFL.

Kupp is a sure handed vet. So when the punt return almost certainly calls for a fair catch deep in our own territory Kupp has been back there.

The one time a team punted to us when a return was a possibility, Tutu was back there. I think that's how it's gonna go, at least for now.

We've forced exactly 1 punt that could be expected to be returned in the first two games, not surprising Tutu hasn't seen much action.

I'm not sure things will be much different against TB.

ST's are off to a shaky start under coach D. Much more of this and we'll be calling for Bonemego.

Djax is a bit of a mystery and McVay is doing his McVay speak on it so hard to read or predict:

by PARAM
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Well they'd be smart to keep D Jax on a pitch count considering he's played 8 games the previous 2 years!!

On Tutu, 1 punt fielded in 2 games (for the legitimate reasons Elvis pointed out) but he didn't fair catch it and got clobbered so that tells me he's either stupid or tough.

Could be the first time we see a contribution from either DJax or Tutu it's a big one.

by AvengerRam
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

As far as the offense goes, the Rams have run only 110 plays in two games (tied for 29th in the league). This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as there have been drives that were short because of big plays (the Rams have 4 passing plays of 40+ yards, tied with Seattle for the league lead), but it does limit the number of reps that a guy like DJax gets.

by PARAM
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   12241  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:As far as the offense goes, the Rams have run only 110 plays in two games (tied for 29th in the league). This isn't necessarily a bad thing, as there have been drives that were short because of big plays (the Rams have 4 passing plays of 40+ yards, tied with Seattle for the league lead), but it does limit the number of reps that a guy like DJax gets.

The Rams have scored on all kinds of drives:

3 plays, TD, 1:18
4 plays, TD, 1:08
4 plays, TD, 2:03

6 plays, FG, 2:38
7 plays, TD, 3:24
8 plays, TD, 2:55 (Game clincher)
8 plays, TD, 4:55

10 plays, FG, 4:35
12 plays, FG, 4:59 (Game winner)
12 plays, TD, 6:44
16 plays, FG, 8:18

There's nothing as good as a quick strike TD or a long time consuming TD drive. But a long time consuming FG drive is pretty close. Better than getting nothing out of a possession.

In our first two games, our first drive resulted in a TD.....

vs Chicago; 3 plays 80 yards, 1:18
@ Indy; 8 plays 90 yards, 4:55

but what may really point to our success is the last scoring drive each week

vs Chicago; 12 plays 75 yards (TD), 6:44
@ Indy; 12 plays 55 yards (GWFG), 4:59

We can eat clock while we're scoring the necessary points to win.

by max
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

My view is that STs are a reflection of the HC.

The Rams had great STs under Vermeil and Fisher. Those guys were ST experts, they got very involved with the STs.

McVay doesn’t have experience with STs. And it shows. Our STs have gotten progressively worse since McVay arrived. Now, McVay is learning the hard way that he needs a great ST mentor.

by Joe Pendleton
2 years 6 months ago
 Total posts:   1843  
Virgin Islands (USA)   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

PARAM wrote:Well they'd be smart to keep D Jax on a pitch count considering he's played 8 games the previous 2 years!!

On Tutu, 1 punt fielded in 2 games (for the legitimate reasons Elvis pointed out) but he didn't fair catch it and got clobbered so that tells me he's either stupid or tough.

Could be the first time we see a contribution from either DJax or Tutu it's a big one.

i'm gonna vote for tough (which may lead to doing stupid things)!

• 1 / 2
15 posts Apr 18 2024