8 posts
  • 1 / 1
 by safer
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Per ESPN--not bad huh? Also, they have Joe Noteboom ranked as the #17 OT in the league based on their metrics.
We'll see, but Stafford making faster reads and releases will help that too. One of the interesting takes on another team Oline ranked higher than ours is that they don't have an elite Olineman (like us) but they are ranked that high due to their work as a unit.
We'll all feel better when our center looks solid.

by aeneas1
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

here's how pro football focus graded the rams oline in pass pro last year:

of 79 graded tackles:
---------------------------
whitworth - 9th
noteboom - 30 th
havenstein - 40th

of 80 graded guards:
edwards - 31st
corbett - 41st

of 36 graded centers:
blythe - 25th

by snackdaddy
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   9655  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

I believe PFF ranked the Rams line as a whole third best last season. Seems like they're not that bad this season either. But I kept hearing all offseason the line is terrible and they should have drafted linemen early and often. Or signed several free agents. I'm confused.

by 69RamFan
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   3169  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

The key for our OL will be holding the line in the passing game from up the middle.

Hopefully with Corbett moving him to Center adds more beef in the middle with Edwards Corbett and Evans covering the middle.

by /zn/
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

safer wrote:Per ESPN--not bad huh? Also, they have Joe Noteboom ranked as the #17 OT in the league based on their metrics.
We'll see, but Stafford making faster reads and releases will help that too. One of the interesting takes on another team Oline ranked higher than ours is that they don't have an elite Olineman (like us) but they are ranked that high due to their work as a unit.
We'll all feel better when our center looks solid.

Some these generalizations don't hold. For example behind a better OL in Detroit, Stafford was sacked more than the Rams qbs were and came in with a lower qb rating against the blitz.

If the Rams OL and Stafford are going to challenge the way we want to see them challenge, both will have to improve against the pass rush.

Which can be done.

by safer
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

In Detroit, didn't they have one or two olinemen that were better than ours, but also had weaker links amongst their starters? They were a lousy rushing team, only being top ten once while Stafford was there. Obviously, that stat just crushed their ability to do much with play action, unlike our ability to make teams respect our rushing game.

by Hacksaw
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Apples and oranges, Lions and Rams ..

by /zn/
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Just a provocative statement by a guy who studies OL.

==

Brandon Thorn@BrandonThornNFL
Love how people confidently declare certain players on the OL the best at their position like they have ever studied or watched them and their peers closely.

Just say “This is what PFF says”

And lastly, while I focus almost exclusively on OL/DL, I know that I can and have been wrong about what I see. My point is more about the effort level that goes into coming to those conclusions & at least putting in the time to study before sharing an opinion.

• 1 / 1
8 posts Apr 16 2024