140 posts
  • 9 / 14
 by safer
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Geeez guys! This is all supposed to be for fun! :shock2:
It's guaranteed that NONE of us will be completely right about all of our babblings..........so whatever happened to fun bragging rights?
It's always amazed me that right after the draft how we all feel like so & so is going to be awesome and then he sucks, and so on. Let's get three games into the season to at least get a peek at what we've got. As for Whit, I thought he had a helluva year last year---better than he had been in two years--who's to say he can't play past 40? LT's don't have to run very far and it's easier to keep quickness and strength past forty than it is speed. Also, Whit's back up sat out last year due to him being a cancer survivor--let's see what he has in pre-season.

by /zn/
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

safer wrote:As for Whit, I thought he had a helluva year last year---better than he had been in two years--who's to say he can't play past 40?

The odds say it. I don't rule out him playing past 40. But it's not the kind of thing you count on. And btw in terms of playing well last year, he wasn't as good as he was in 2017 or 2018 but he was still fairly good. However--from 2006 through 2019 he missed a total of 8 games out of 220 possible starts in 13 years. In 2020 he missed 7. Is that Time catching up? Well we don't know, but, we can't rule that out either.

And you're right about how we should approach discussions like this. I am not bickering over Whitworth. I just have a different view than you do. Yes he might play past 40, but as I said it's not the kind of thing ya count on.

Brewer is the OT who opted out last year. I am not sure I've heard anything about him playing left tackle--I think he's a right tackle/guard type.

by PARAM
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   12239  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

safer wrote:Geeez guys! This is all supposed to be for fun! :shock2:
It's guaranteed that NONE of us will be completely right about all of our babblings..........so whatever happened to fun bragging rights?
It's always amazed me that right after the draft how we all feel like so & so is going to be awesome and then he sucks, and so on. Let's get three games into the season to at least get a peek at what we've got. As for Whit, I thought he had a helluva year last year---better than he had been in two years--who's to say he can't play past 40? LT's don't have to run very far and it's easier to keep quickness and strength past forty than it is speed. Also, Whit's back up sat out last year due to him being a cancer survivor--let's see what he has in pre-season.

I'm certainly not concerned with bragging rights, except with the fans of other teams who I know. I expect the Rams to do extremely well in 2021 with the addition of Stafford and DJax. I hope a rookie or two impresses but we have plenty in front of them. I hear some in the media who think with McVay getting those two offensive pieces, he's going to have a high flying offense again. And we all know the offense was our biggest issue in 2020, just ahead of ST.

I don't expect AW to play 16 games but if he does, I'll be thrilled. I expect them to have a backup plan for that possibility. As well as a plan for 2022.....though that's not a big concern in 2021. First things first.

I hope Raheem Morris can continue the stellar defensive play and any decent coach with Donald, Ramsey, DWill and Floyd should. Particularly if the offense gives them leads.

STs will have a strong rebound with Joe D and some of those draft picks. But it's months away and we can read each others takes, agree or disagree to pass the time.

by AvengerRam
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

I'm just trying to read the tea leaves.

Since the end of the season, things McVay/Snead have done:
[*]Trade Goff for Stafford.
[*]Replace the OL coach.
[*]Obtain more speed in FA (DJax) and the draft (Tutu, Harris).
[*]Allow Austin Blythe to depart in FA.

Things McVay/Snead have not done:
[*]Sign a FA offensive lineman.
[*]Draft an offensive lineman.

To me, the most logical conclusion that can be drawn from this is that McVay and Snead believe that the Rams' OL depth chart has sufficient talent, but needs to be coached differently, supported by more big play potential, and lead by a veteran QB with better pocket presence and a faster release.

We'll see if they're right. In my mind, the key, as @aeneas1 constantly reminds us, is offensive scoring. I'd like to see the numbers return to a 2017-18 level, as opposed to 2019-20.

by 69RamFan
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   3169  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

AvengerRam wrote:I'm just trying to read the tea leaves.

Since the end of the season, things McVay/Snead have done:
[*]Trade Goff for Stafford.
[*]Replace the OL coach.
[*]Obtain more speed in FA (DJax) and the draft (Tutu, Harris).
[*]Allow Austin Blythe to depart in FA.

Things McVay/Snead have not done:
[*]Sign a FA offensive lineman.
[*]Draft an offensive lineman.

To me, the most logical conclusion that can be drawn from this is that McVay and Snead believe that the Rams' OL depth chart has sufficient talent, but needs to be coached differently, supported by more big play potential, and lead by a veteran QB with better pocket presence and a faster release.

We'll see if they're right. In my mind, the key, as @aeneas1 constantly reminds us, is offensive scoring. I'd like to see the numbers return to a 2017-18 level, as opposed to 2019-20.

I just posted on another posting,,,

By moving Corbett to center and Evans at RG....

Our OL just got bigger and physically stronger

Corbett is our smallest starting O-Lineman at 6-4, 306lbs and every one else is 6-5 and over 310lbs

To add in our OL bench players,,,, they are all over 310lbs with the exception of Allen (In which I believe he will not make the 53 man squad, but if he does, I'll be really surprised)

by ramsman34
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8516  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

69RamFan wrote:I just posted on another posting,,,

By moving Corbett to center and Evans at RG....

Our OL just got bigger and physically stronger

Corbett is our smallest starting O-Lineman at 6-4, 306lbs and every one else is 6-5 and over 310lbs

To add in our OL bench players,,,, they are all over 310lbs with the exception of Allen (In which I believe he will not make the 53 man squad, but if he does, I'll be really surprised)

I'd still like to see Anchrum get reps at OC. However, with Corbett being somewhat limited athletically but, strong and nasty, he just might be well suited to play OC over OG as he doesn't have as much space or wider angles to deal with on reaching second level blocks. He also should be able to anchor better than Blythe against A gap pressure and stunts.

by aeneas1
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   16894  
United States of America   Norcal
Hall of Fame

so the middle of the line will be made up of:

left guard
24-year-old
season and a half worth of nfl starts under his belt (24)
two years of nfl experience

right guard
24-year-old
7 nfl starts under his belt

center
26-year-old
three years of nfl experience

by Flash
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1205  
United States of America   Houston
Pro Bowl

aeneas1 wrote:so the middle of the line will be made up of:

left guard
24-year-old

right guard
24-year-old

center
26-year-old

Yep kinda concerning isn't it.

by AvengerRam
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

aeneas1 wrote:so the middle of the line will be made up of:

left guard
24-year-old

right guard
24-year-old

center
26-year-old

I get your point but, for those who are lamenting that we didn't draft an OL or two to start, this can't be the primary criticism.

by /zn/
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   6763  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

Flash wrote:Yep kinda concerning isn't it.

I don't find it concerning. Not for this season. The guy I have doubts about is Evans, but there is promising depth behind him. I assume Corbett will do at least okay at center. Both Edwards and Corbett have started a year already. Last year the OL was fairly solid most of the time though they did get dominated in a few games. They can be more consistent than that, which probably turns on who the ROG ends up being.

The problems are in the future.

Whitworth - 41 in 2022 & then a FA in 2023
Edwards - UFA in 2023
Corbett - UFA in 2022
Evans - UFA in 2023
Hav - UFA in 2023

Noteboom - UFA in 2022
Brewer - ERFA in 2022
Anchrum - UFA in 2023

• 9 / 14
140 posts Apr 16 2024