47 posts
  • 5 / 5
 by St. Loser Fan
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

majik wrote:I have to ask—are you related to an NFL owner? Do you worry about the plight of BILlIONAIRE owners? I watch the NFL to see players play the game. These players greatly sacrifice their potential future health to play where the average career is not very long. Why are you against athletes, not the superstars, but the “average Joe” NFL player, getting their fair share of the NFL pie? Go look at any team’s salary numbers and see what players from 10 down make and realize how long some of their NFL careers are.

Do any of us have a dog in this fight? No. My only concern football wise is this could cause players to work out less in the offseason and make pre season (and even early regular season) football less exciting because players are still getting into shape.

by Elvis
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38437  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I don't think this needs to be personal. You can have a strong opinion without being related to someone involved or questioning the motives of posters with a different strong opinion.

Also, i think this James guy is probably a bad test case because he has so much else going on

by azramsfan93
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   1492  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

majik wrote:I have to ask—are you related to an NFL owner? Do you worry about the plight of BILlIONAIRE owners?

Nope. I am not the one so obviously filled with passion on this subject.

I watch the NFL to see players play the game.

Well you picked a poor test case to pursue... James has not played since 2018 and won't before 2022 if ever again.

These players greatly sacrifice their potential future health to play where the average career is not very long.

Given that the median household income in 2019 was just over $65,000 and the average NFL salary is about $3.2M - the average NFL players as much in 1 year as the average family earns in 50. Sounds like their sacrifice is paying off. Besides, Jawuan James made $27M guaranteed from the Broncos (4 year $51M deal). I think he will be okay. The average American household would have to work for over 400 years to earn that much money.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/jawuan-james-14428/

Why are you against athletes, not the superstars, but the “average Joe” NFL player, getting their fair share of the NFL pie?

So 4 years for $51M ($27M guaranteed) is "average Joe" in your estimation? :D :D :D

by St. Loser Fan
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

I can't believe the NFLPA gave up games 17 and 18 without some sort of giveback on contract security: including offseason workouts. The owners must still be laughing because they got pretty much everything they wanted and the players got almost nothing.

by Elvis
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   38437  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

I'm sure a good case can be made that the players could've done better but one thing they got was an increase from 47% of revenue to 48.5% with a 17 game season. So they get a higher percentage of a pot that is also bigger because of the 17th game.

That's not nothing.

With the new tv deal being worth 113 billion, an extra 1.7 billion goes into to the salary cap because of the new deal. A total of 54.8 billion of that 113 goes towards the cap.

The players get a nice chunk of the revenue, more now because of the new CBA.

by JackPMiller
2 years 10 months ago
 Total posts:   2729  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Superstar

by SolarRam
2 years 8 months ago
 Total posts:   140  
United States of America   San Diego, CA
Practice Squad

actionjack wrote:yeah I dont really get not having the entire team and anyone else at the facility vaccinated and so you can do in person.

Just revisited this...kinda ironic that we had another torn Achilles a little while later. Lets hope he was vaccinated though.

• 5 / 5
47 posts Apr 16 2024