213 posts
  • 15 / 22
 by moklerman
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   7680  
United States of America   Bakersfield, CA
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:Stafford did not play well on a bad Detroit team. Right?
No, that's not right. Stafford put up good numbers most of the time but the "team" did not do well.

Considering he put up 45TD/15INT over the last two years and a 99.8 rating for a losing team, it's reasonable to assume he will be at least as efficient and productive for McVay's Rams. Conversely, Goff has been a league leader in turnovers the last couple of years in a relatively QB friendly situation.

I think it's unlikely that he improves by going to a worse situation. The Rams were winning games and mainly asking him to manage the situation. Unless something changes dramatically, the Lions are going to be asking him to do a lot more heavy lifting. Maybe that sharpens Goff up but it doesn't seem like a recipe for improvement.

by PARAM
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

moklerman wrote:No, that's not right. Stafford put up good numbers most of the time but the "team" did not do well.

Considering he put up 45TD/15INT over the last two years and a 99.8 rating for a losing team, it's reasonable to assume he will be at least as efficient and productive for McVay's Rams. Conversely, Goff has been a league leader in turnovers the last couple of years in a relatively QB friendly situation.

I think it's unlikely that he improves by going to a worse situation. The Rams were winning games and mainly asking him to manage the situation. Unless something changes dramatically, the Lions are going to be asking him to do a lot more heavy lifting. Maybe that sharpens Goff up but it doesn't seem like a recipe for improvement.

First I will say, I'm a Matt Stafford fan (even before he was traded). Tough, talented, capable of bringing a team back to win. But he's got a lifetime 89.9 QB rating. He can throw some Goff-type picks. And sometimes, he's the reason the game is lost.

Having said that, I'm glad he's a Ram as I think he'll prosper with McVay. But I think in many cases, some Ram fans are guilty of looking at how green the grass is on the other side of the fence and don't see the obvious weeds that are there. The same weeds that were in their own backyard the last couple of seasons.

On the best Detroit team from Stafford's tenure there (11-5 in 2014), he had an 85.7 QB rating. He had 4 games with a 100 or better QB rating and 7 with a rating under 80. Another 4 games he was in the mid to upper 80's. But they did win 11, right? He had 12 picks (1 less than our turnover machine had this year) and 3 lost fumbles.

I think the most factual statement is he was the brightest star on a bad team.

by AvengerRam
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

The 2014 Lions ran for around 90 yards/game with a 3.6 yards/attempt average.

I’m looking forward to seeing what Stafford can do in an offense that has more of a commitment to the run and that can run the ball effectively (we averaged 126 yards/game and 4.3 yards per attempt last year).

by max
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   5580  
United States of America   Sarasota, FL
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:The 2014 Lions ran for around 90 yards/game with a 3.6 yards/attempt average.

I’m looking forward to seeing what Stafford can do in an offense that has more of a commitment to the run and that can run the ball effectively (we averaged 126 yards/game and 4.3 yards per attempt last year).

Yup. I think it's accurate to say we are all anxious to see what Stafford does in a McVay offense. The expectations that I have seen range anywhere from not much better than what Goff gave us with the fear of injury since Stafford has had significant surgeries over the past 12 years, to taking us to the SB. I've got my fingers crossed, seems like the best to approach to me.

There is also a viewpoint that Goff is about to take the next step that a lot of drop back QBs take after their 5 year. I think there are arguments on both sides of this. So its another wait and see affair.

Anyways, it's fair to say there is never a dull moment being a Rams fan nowadays. And that is so much better than the garbage we had to endure the last years in STL contending for nothing but the first pick in the draft.

by PARAM
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

AvengerRam wrote:The 2014 Lions ran for around 90 yards/game with a 3.6 yards/attempt average.

Absolutely. Akers, Henderson and a #3, should have running room with Stafford back there. And Stafford should have passing opportunities with a good run game. I think the guy who may prosper the most from Stafford with a good run game is Higbee. He should match up well vs. run stopping LBs a fair amount. And Stafford has utilized pass catching TEs in the past.

by /zn/
3 years 2 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6765  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

I think one of the main differences between Stafford now and in 2014 is precisely the experience factor. He's just not the same qb he was in his 6th year.

And if you look at their one playoff game that year, they had the chance to win it in a final drive with 2:32 remaining, but the qb fumbled on that drive. Before that they had a chance to put it away with a drive that started at 12:21 in the 4th quarter. At that point they were leading 20-17. That drive ended on a delay of game penalty and they had to punt.

I don't think Stafford is that qb anymore. And IMO what he brings to the Rams is not just physical talent but years of qb experience, at the "seen it all" level. I even think that Stafford being that experienced helps McVay, who will listen to Stafford and not just dictate to him. I expect much more of a constructive and creative collaboration between qb and coach.

In 2020 the Lions had the 32nd ranked defense, their coach had lost the team, and more than 60% of Stafford's passes were when the Lions were behind (that's a huge percentage obviously). He will have none of those drawbacks with the Rams.

by Hacksaw
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

First thing that came to mind seeing Goff was how much better the uniform was back then..

by R4L
2 years 7 months ago
 Total posts:   1301  
United States of America   Dayton, Ohio
Pro Bowl

My beard grew a half inch reading it lol.

I'll say this. Goff was never great. Not even Marc Bulger good imo. Carry on ..

• 15 / 22
213 posts Apr 25 2024