81 posts
  • 5 / 9
 by azramsfan93
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1492  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

Hacksaw wrote:DirecTV and Dish's days are numbered anyway. Can't deliver 5K through the air. Technology is going to do them in unless they adapt. ATT is already on it. Dishes are going to be a thing of the past sooner or not much later.

Satellite technology will never go away, but satellite STB will be limited to rural areas that are not serviced by fiber optic cables or 5G wireless (which has a VERY SMALL RANGE - at least right now).

It’s funny that you say 5G can’t deliver through the air.... it’s literally digital radio... but I know that you mean from space. It’s already amazing that small dish technology works as well as it does. If you ever want your mind bent read up on quadrature phase shift keying (QPSK) modulation, and Viterbi forward error correction (FEC). Some people smarter than me thought this stuff up - it was hard enough just to learn it.

Today, fiber optic cables provide the highest speed and best MTBF. The only current 5G that can compete on download speed with my gigabit cable modem is Verizon, and that is only in limited cities, and the more users sign up the slower it will get due to back haul limitations.

With all of the investments in content rights and network upgrades it is very safe to say that accessing the NFL won’t get cheaper. Hopefully it will get better - but we will see.

by Hacksaw
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Sounds like you know your tech @azramsfan93. Thanks for some clarifications.
My experience/knowledge is as a end user and as a user I've only been informed of some of these changes happening/coming by the services.
Questions that come to mind, , Rural areas notwithstanding, are there enough landlines out there to bring the data/bandwidth needed to allow 4 & 5 K equipment function to its potential?
How does AT&T get use of more localized cable companies infrastructure when those local companies have enjoyed (and exploited) their monopolies for decades? Are there regulatory impositions coming?
Waves of change..

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Sounds like you know your tech @azramsfan93. Thanks for some clarifications.
My experience/knowledge is as a end user and as a user I've only been informed of some of these changes happening/coming by the services.
Questions that come to mind, , Rural areas notwithstanding, are there enough landlines out there to bring the data/bandwidth needed to allow 4 & 5 K equipment function to its potential?
How does AT&T get use of more localized cable companies infrastructure when those local companies have enjoyed (and exploited) their monopolies for decades? Are there regulatory impositions coming?
Waves of change..

One of the biggest challenges for cable is the last delivery segment. That’s the part that goes from the pole or the underground terminal into your residence.

With 5G all the Spectrum, AT&T, Comcast etc need to do is run fiber on above ground lines. Then they install 5G “towers” on existing poles. As I understand it Spectrum likes muffler sized devices that couple onto existing power lines while AT&T likes toolbox sized antennas.

No more waiting for an installer to come out run cable in and through your house. To get TV over 5G it’s pretty much plug and play. No all day drama of having AT&T on your roof and aiming the dish. No worry about having Spectrum cut the gas line in your yard when doing a new fiber run. (Happened to a neighbor. But we all had to evacuate.)

by azramsfan93
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1492  
United States of America   Chandler, Arizona
Pro Bowl

St. Loser Fan wrote:One of the biggest challenges for cable is the last delivery segment. That’s the part that goes from the pole or the underground terminal into your residence.

With 5G all the Spectrum, AT&T, Comcast etc need to do is run fiber on above ground lines. Then they install 5G “towers” on existing poles. As I understand it Spectrum likes muffler sized devices that couple onto existing power lines while AT&T likes toolbox sized antennas.

No more waiting for an installer to come out run cable in and through your house. To get TV over 5G it’s pretty much plug and play. No all day drama of having AT&T on your roof and aiming the dish. No worry about having Spectrum cut the gas line in your yard when doing a new fiber run. (Happened to a neighbor. But we all had to evacuate.)

5G connectivity is only good to about 2000 feet, and the highest performance is only achieved when there is line of sight between the transmitter and receiver. It still works (for fixed position broadcast) without line of sight, but the performance degrades. What does this mean? Real 5G networks that perform at speeds 10X that of 4G LTE will be much slower to deploy, and much more expensive. I have seen estimates of another decade to complete.

Older network technology will still be required for digital communications in more remote areas - long haul trucking, for example, or if you and the family want to browse the internet while driving cross country. If you live in a major metropolitan area you will be fine.

You are right 5G will be easier to install, but that does not necessarily mean cheaper. I imagine that a 5G wireless modem for your home will be pretty pricey initially. Inside the home you will still use WiFi - unless you want to buy all new 5G-enabled end user equipment (TVs, DVRs, computers, IoT devices - I have a WiFi swimming pool controller....)

by RedAlice
3 years 4 weeks ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

Awesome! Looks like that by 2023 we won’t have to rely on finding renegade streams.

• 5 / 9
81 posts Apr 16 2024