81 posts
  • 4 / 9
 by St. Loser Fan
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   10511  
United States of America   Saint Louis MO
Hall of Fame

RedAlice wrote:Their bigger issue would be that the Sunday Ticket would be more readily available to everyone and less people would HAVE to go to a sports bar to watch their game.

Which is great! I think it should be streaming and available to anyone who wants to purchase it. The only those who have Direct TV can get it this is BULLSHIT.

I lived for a number of years where I couldn't get DirecTV and yeah, it sucked. But part of the fun of going to a sports bar is being around fellow fans and sharing in the excitement.

There's also the question of how will a streaming service Sunday Ticket recoup their money by charging their fees. This is what DirecTV used to scale at.

IIRC when the NFL transitioned from the 6 foot big ugly dishes to DirecTV there was a 2 year window where both were an option.

by Elvis
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38436  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

The way TV contracts are increasing in value, hard to think the price for Sunday Ticket is coming down, no matter who has it but maybe...

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

You know what would be a dick move by Amazon that I could totally see them doing? If they got the contract and made Sunday Ticket exclusive to Fire devices.

(Yes, I realize a Fire stick can be had for as cheap as $19 during sales.)

by Hacksaw
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

DirecTV and Dish's days are numbered anyway. Can't deliver 5K through the air. Technology is going to do them in unless they adapt. ATT is already on it. Dishes are going to be a thing of the past sooner or not much later.

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:DirecTV and Dish's days are numbered anyway. Can't deliver 5K through the air. Technology is going to do them in unless they adapt. ATT is already on it. Dishes are going to be a thing of the past sooner or not much later.

DirecTV has 4K but it's only 3 channels and a pain in the ass to get.

The future is 5G wireless as I know both ATT and Spectrum envision that as their delivery path ahead. DirecTV's last new satellite went online last year and Dish hasn't launched in a decade.

However I'm not rushing to put satellite TV to death as it serves a purpose in rural areas.

by RedAlice
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:I lived for a number of years where I couldn't get DirecTV and yeah, it sucked. But part of the fun of going to a sports bar is being around fellow fans and sharing in the excitement.

There's also the question of how will a streaming service Sunday Ticket recoup their money by charging their fees. This is what DirecTV used to scale at.

IIRC when the NFL transitioned from the 6 foot big ugly dishes to DirecTV there was a 2 year window where both were an option.

I agree that it is fun to go to sports bars and hang w other fans and meet up w friends to watch games - WHEN YOU WANT TO. It is not fun being forced to as the only way to watch the game, which is what the Direct TV deal forces.

by Elvis
3 years 1 month ago
Administrator

Hacksaw wrote:DirecTV and Dish's days are numbered anyway. Can't deliver 5K through the air. Technology is going to do them in unless they adapt. ATT is already on it. Dishes are going to be a thing of the past sooner or not much later.

DTV is already moving to streaming with DTV Now but with ATT owning DTV i suppose they'll be one and the same soon enough...

by RedAlice
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   6596  
United States of America   Dallas, Texas
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:DTV is already moving to streaming with DTV Now but with ATT owning DTV i suppose they'll be one and the same soon enough...

I couldn’t get DTV streaming without having DTV itself. It was like some in addition to the regular one. I tried.

Anyway, I’m very happy to see this development.

Also as someone who travels a lot (in normal times), being able to stream games is necessary.

There were a couple years where I could log into into a friends Sling Box account and he had the Sunday ticket and I could watch the Rams anywhere, even Europe. That was great!

Streaming should be available to anyone who wants to buy it.

by Elvis
3 years 1 month ago
Administrator

Now that i look, DTV Now is no more. AT&T TV is ATT's only streaming TV service so yeah, not sure how much longer the Direct TV name is gonna be around...

by St. Loser Fan
3 years 1 month ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Now that i look, DTV Now is no more. AT&T TV is ATT's only streaming TV service so yeah, not sure how much longer the Direct TV name is gonna be around...

I was just in an AT&T store: One of the big corporate ones. The DirecTV display used to the the full side wall with multiple TVs. It's not in the far back corner and is maybe 3 foot wide.

That being said I've been happy with my service. Don't get me started by how bad Charter/Spectrum is here.

• 4 / 9
81 posts Apr 16 2024