18 posts
  • 2 / 2
 by rams74
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1469  
Italy   Glendale, Arizona
Pro Bowl

actionjack wrote:It is sooooo simple to fix overtime. Just make it like other sports. A shorter period like baseketball, say 7.5 min overtime session. Who ever has the lead after that wins. Second OT (and any additional) goes for 5 min. It isnt that hard.....

Call me crazy, but I like sudden death overtime. The old rules, whoever scores first wins. Who says both teams have to possess the ball? If you don't want to lose, stop the team with the ball from scoring.

And the more they try to make things more "fair", adding rules about both teams possessing the ball, or making it a time-based overtime, the more likely it is that games will end in ties. Nobody likes ties. Let's try to make sure there's a winner.

by Rams1PlateSince1976
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2077  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

What about each team choosing a champion and they battle to the death???

by Rams1PlateSince1976
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2077  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Would make for some interesting coaching decisions. Perhaps your team has already clinched a high seed playoff spot and you get into overtime in one of your last regular season games. Who do you send out as your champion in a battle to the death??? A 3rd stringer? Or maybe do you see it as a chance to unload an overly-paid high salary cap guy? (like a Goff with a broken thumb.)

by UtahRam
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   362  
United States of America   Salt Lake City
Starter

I don't understand what's so unfair about a coin flip and sudden death. You lose the coin flip and your defense has to stop the other team. If you stop them then you get the ball. If you don't stop them you lose. It was done this way for decades. Why change any of it?

by JovialJaghut
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   38  
Germany   Wiesbaden, Germany
Undrafted Free Agent

Hacksaw wrote:And another blow for the kicking game.

Pretty soon we won’t have to call it “foot”ball anymore. :D

by actionjack
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   3934  
United States of America   Sactown
Superstar

rams74 wrote:Call me crazy, but I like sudden death overtime. The old rules, whoever scores first wins. Who says both teams have to possess the ball? If you don't want to lose, stop the team with the ball from scoring.

And the more they try to make things more "fair", adding rules about both teams possessing the ball, or making it a time-based overtime, the more likely it is that games will end in ties. Nobody likes ties. Let's try to make sure there's a winner.

I can live with sudden death as it use to be, but if it going to be changed, make it time based.

by majik
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1201  
United States of America   New Jersey
Pro Bowl

I think shortening the OT from 15 to 10 minutes has contributed to more ties.

I think each side should get to possess the ball once format is the best method

by Hacksaw
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

majik wrote:I think shortening the OT from 15 to 10 minutes has contributed to more ties.

I think each side should get to possess the ball once format is the best method

Agreed. It still resembles a football game and does give each team's defense a chance in this day and age of offensive juggernaut football. Never was a fan of first score wins it. Also 10 minutes is enough.

• 2 / 2
18 posts Apr 16 2024