29 posts
  • 2 / 3
 by ramsman34
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8541  
United States of America   Back in LA baby!

HopHead Ram wrote:Goff has played this game at a very high level during spurts of his career. He is a proven commodity, although untested in a different system. Goff will do no worse than he did here last year. If anything I think that his production may even tick up a notch. I think Lynn will implement the system to fit where Goff is right now and second and more importantly, he is playing with a huge chip on his shoulder and that will motivate him to prove McVay was wrong on him. As I have mentioned prior, I couldn't care less if Goff posts better numbers than Stafford. Different teammates, different opponents and different coaching. Doesn't mean he would have the same production here in LA next year. I will not compare the production game by game as some did with Gurley and our RB's this year. It just doesn't matter. All that matters is getting W's

I set up that TG comparison as I believed he was basically “done” as a feature/premier back. I wanted to see if the numbers supported that. And then by comparison, how our committee compared. I thought Atlanta would be competitive at minimum. Oops.

Agree its a waste of time comparing Goff/Stafford as Goff is nowhere near “done” and the Lions are nowhere near as competitive as the Rams.

by safer
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1275  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Pro Bowl

Detroit's probably gonna suck for years, regardless of their QB. IF I were them, I'd draft guys to help Goff succeed, rather than another QB. Give him a couple of years, when they will likely continue to be sub-par. IF he surprises, great; if not, then you've got another high pick for a QB. Then draft your QB after most of Goff's guaranteed is already paid.
I think Jared is in for tough sledding in Detroit, especially if they let they good wide outs walk in f/a. He needs more fire in his belly.

by snackdaddy
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9661  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Jared Goff is no longer a Rams player. He means nothing to me now. I wish him well in his endeavors but I'm not gonna follow his career anymore.

As far as how I think he'll do with the Lions. I think his numbers will be similar to what his last two seasons in LA were. He'll have some good games and some bad ones. His team won't win a lot. Its possible he bounces around the NFL over his career and maybe ends up on another good team doing goods things in his later years. I believe he'll be more than a career backup. He just won't be what he was in 2017 and 2018.

by CanuckRightWinger
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   2777  
Canada   VANCOUVER, BC
Superstar

For me, if Goff does poorly in Detroit, and Stafford plays big in LA....
then that makes McSnead look smart, shrewd and competent....

and as Rams fans, we have suffered thru decades of NFL Seasons with the John Shaw/Jay Zygmunt and Billy Devaney GONG SHOWS.....where we start looking at the next year's Draft by mid-season.

I think...and I believe that McSnead were of the mind too, that Goff had peaked in 2017-18, and that to make a legitimate SuperBowl run again, that they needed to upgrade at the QB position.....
so they went out and paid the price for that upgrade via the Stafford for Goff deal. :idea2:

I commend McSnead for showing big cajones on this QB mega-trade deal!! 8-)

NOW LET'S GO OUT AND WIN A LOMBARDI FOR SILENT STAN KROENKE!!!! :!2: :!2: :!2:

by Hacksaw
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Agreed Canuck. Like the other thread mentioned, this is a MAKE or BREAK type deal for McSnead. However I doubt they break unless Stafford has a serious injury.

by AvengerRam
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   8686  
Israel   Lake Mary, Florida
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:Rosen was 3-10 as a NFL Rookie starting QB for a .231 winning percentage
J. Goff was 0-7 as a NFL Rookie starting QB for a .000 winning percentage.
See? Both bums as rookies! These two guys have got lots in common!!! :lol2:

Cue Paul Harvey...

by PARAM
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Agreed Canuck. Like the other thread mentioned, this is a MAKE or BREAK type deal for McSnead. However I doubt they break unless Stafford has a serious injury.

True. The 2021 performance of Jared Goff has nothing to do with the "Make or Break" for McSnead. The entire enchilada revolves around Matt Stafford and the Rams 2021 offensive performance. So whether Goff looks like Josh Rosen or Josh Allen is irrelevant.

Having said that, there is one situation, however remote and unlikely, that involves Goff's performance in Detroit AND Stafford's performance in L.A., which could have an affect on that "Make or Break" situation. So let's all hope Canuck is dead on and that Jared Goff will more resemble Josh Rosen (however unlikely that is) than Josh Allen (however equally unlikely that is too).

More important, we should hope Matt Stafford does 3 things.
Stays 100% healthy
Performs at least as good as and with better results than he did in Detroit
Puts the Rams on his shoulders to the extent they win the division and go extremely deep in the 2021 postseason.

That seems fair as anything short of that would be Jared Goff-like and we certainly are not paying 2 future 1st round picks and a 2021 third rounder for that, right? And 1 other thing.....DO NOT for any reason, lose the game vs. Detroit this season (however unlikely that may be).

by Hacksaw
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Depending on who we have left after the FA period, that sounds right to me PA.

by HopHead Ram
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1568  
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

Hacksaw wrote:Agreed Canuck. Like the other thread mentioned, this is a MAKE or BREAK type deal for McSnead. However I doubt they break unless Stafford has a serious injury.

I honestly do not know if I completely buy into that line of thinking. I guess you have to decide what the MAKE part entails. If the Rams continue on their current trajectory and continue stacking wins and making the playoffs, McSnead isn't going anywhere. Yes the ultimate goal is to win a Lombardi (honestly that is more for us Fans) but if I am the owner, the business side of me wants a consistent winner that makes noise in the playoffs year in and year out rather than a one and done team. I feel this team is a better team (on paper) with Stafford at the helm. This has nothing to do with who is the better QB but everything to do with the fact that Goff clearly wasn't trusted anymore to lead this team and you cannot have your starting QB constantly looking over his shoulder. It never turns out good.

by PARAM
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12247  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

HopHead Ram wrote:I honestly do not know if I completely buy into that line of thinking. I guess you have to decide what the MAKE part entails. If the Rams continue on their current trajectory and continue stacking wins and making the playoffs, McSnead isn't going anywhere. Yes the ultimate goal is to win a Lombardi (honestly that is more for us Fans) but if I am the owner, the business side of me wants a consistent winner that makes noise in the playoffs year in and year out rather than a one and done team. I feel this team is a better team (on paper) with Stafford at the helm. This has nothing to do with who is the better QB but everything to do with the fact that Goff clearly wasn't trusted anymore to lead this team and you cannot have your starting QB constantly looking over his shoulder. It never turns out good.

I agree about Kroenke and what he wants. But you have to believe, like any other team with any other coach, that winning every year only gets you so far. Eventually, you HAVE TO win a Superbowl. It happened to Andy Reid in Philly. It happened to Marvin Lewis in Cincinnati (though his downfall was not winning a postseason game). It happened to Marty Shottenheimer everywhere he went (except Washington). Is it going to happen to McSnead? Not in 2021. But these guys made a major move, gave away a lot of capital and they are going to need to win a Superbowl with Stafford......soon. My guess is (and perhaps it's their 'wager') they believe with Stafford they can win it.

• 2 / 3
29 posts Apr 24 2024