• 1 / 4
 by mike schad 1st rd
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   244  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

Matthew Stafford Makes the Rams a Super Bowl Favorite – Football Film Room
https://footballfilmroom.com/2021/02/25 ... -favorite/

Huge Upgrade. Videos speak for themselves.

by snackdaddy
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

In the past whenever I've watched Stafford there's two things that stand out most. The way he constantly moves his feet in the pocket and how he can throw strikes when he's not balanced to throw. The feet movement aren't those panicky feet we see some quarterbacks do under pressure. The throws off the back feet are possible because of his arm strength. The only other guys I've seen who can do that are Mahomes and Rogers.

by PARAM
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12242  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

snackdaddy wrote:In the past whenever I've watched Stafford there's two things that stand out most. The way he constantly moves his feet in the pocket and how he can throw strikes when he's not balanced to throw. The feet movement aren't those panicky feet we see some quarterbacks do under pressure. The throws off the back feet are possible because of his arm strength. The only other guys I've seen who can do that are Mahomes and Rogers.

Since the trade I have seen a number of highlights where he uses the Mahomes-from-any-angle approach, throwing sidearm around rushing defenders. Definitely seems like someone who thinks and reacts fast on his feet. I think, given that, his other talents (strong arm, reading defenses), his demeanor (throwing into small windows with a belief in his talents, going downfield) and his overall experience, he makes the Rams more formidable.

by mike schad 1st rd
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   244  
United States of America   LA Coliseum
Rookie

The 4th play shown, being blitzed against the Texans, just blows me away how good he is.

by Will0120
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1172  
Canada   Vancouver, Canada
Commissioner

Certainly some great videos highlighting Stafford's strong traits. I hope it's not just cherry picking the good stuff though. I personally wouldn't mind seeing some bad plays of him and how those plays are analyzed accordingly.

by HopHead Ram
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   1568  
United States of America   The Left Coast
Pro Bowl

Will0120 wrote:
Certainly some great videos highlighting Stafford's strong traits. I hope it's not just cherry picking the good stuff though. I personally wouldn't mind seeing some bad plays of him and how those plays are analyzed accordingly.

Exactly, I can throw together a highlight reel of Goff that would blow you away ;)

by snackdaddy
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   9657  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

Will0120 wrote:

This is true. Every quarterback makes bad plays. A highlight with only bad plays could make Rogers and Mahomes look like scrubs. Its what they do when they aren't making bad plays that separates them from the rest of the pack.

by 69RamFan
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   3171  
United States of America   LA CA by way of NY/NJ
Superstar

Just to add on those cherry picking plays...

It does show how good the middle of Detroit's OL don't get pushed back leaving a nice pocket for Stafford to step up in....

Goff didn't have that luxury against defensive teams that had powerful DT vs our OL to hold the pocket for him to step up....

As I've been stating, fix that middle of the OL,,, with a power Center and Guard...

If not, I don't see Stafford doing any better if we don't fix that middle of the OL....

by Hacksaw
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   24523  
United States of America   AT THE BEACH

Is it possible defenses loaded up on Goff knowing he was poor at handling pressure? Stafford is much better at moving his feet and resetting the pocket.
I agree we need more choice beef up front but I consider that Staffords skillset may change how teams attack us up front..

by PARAM
3 years 1 month ago
 Total posts:   12242  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

Hacksaw wrote:Is it possible defenses loaded up on Goff knowing he was poor at handling pressure? Stafford is much better at moving his feet and resetting the pocket.
I agree we need more choice beef up front but I consider that Staffords skillset may change how teams attack us up front..

Maybe that's one of the reasons he was traded? Then again, most QBs aren't as good with pressure. Stafford or Goff, we still need more beef up front. Regardless of whether he was poor at handling pressure or that is the accepted perception, wouldn't McVay have known that? So what do you do when teams are ramping up the pressure?

Do you call short pass plays where all receivers run quick routes of 7 yards or less?
Do you run the ball?
Do you keep extra guys in to block?
Do you throw screens to the RBs?

I think, like McVay said recently, it wasn't all Goff. That short passing game wasn't just because of a lack of confidence in Goff. He knew the OL wasn't great. IMHO, it was Goff, it was poor OL play, it was questionable playcalling. I know I may be beating a dead horse here but the one game I cite on the latter is the SF game we lost 23-20.

Trailing 17-13 with 0:32 left in 3rd @ Rams 32
1/10......Run 61 yards
1/G (7)....Run 6 yards
2/G (1)....Run 1 yd (TD)

Leading 20-17 with 11:47 left in 4th @ Rams 14
1/10....Run 4 yards
2/6......Pass 12 yards
1/10....Run 0 yards
2/10....Run 6 yards
3/4......Sacked -7

Tied at 20 with 3:11 left in 4th @ Rams 25 (3 timeouts remaining)

1/10.....Pass 8 yards
2/2.......Pass 6 yards
1/10.....Pass 5 yards
2/5.......Inc
3/5.......Inc
Punt with 2:20 left in game (3 timeouts remaining)

On those previous 2 drives, 8 plays, 6 called runs (78 yards, TD), 2 called passes (12 yards, sack). On the final drive, with SF not defending the run well and with 3 timeouts, we call 5 straight pass plays, then punt with 2:20 left in the game. SF drives down to kick GW FG.

I'm calling "shitty play calling" on that. Some may disagree. But if you allegedly don't have confidence in your QB.....and running has been successful....and you have 3 timeouts (in case you continue to run well and matriculate your way down to the SF 35 for a GW FG).....why call 5 straight pass plays and give the ball up with 2:20 remaining. Defend that, someone.

• 1 / 4
34 posts Apr 18 2024