163 posts
  • 14 / 17
 by snackdaddy
1 week ago
 Total posts:   7932  
United States of America   Merced California
Hall of Fame

St. Loser Fan wrote:Just remember it’s like looking at the sun. It’s dangerous and if it should be done, only with a quick glance.

Must be true. My mother always told me I'd go blind. She was never wrong. 8-)

by Haden
1 week ago
 Total posts:   1570  
United States of America   Spokane, WA
Pro Bowl

snackdaddy wrote:Must be true. My mother always told me I'd go blind. She was never wrong. 8-)

You obviously were not paying attention to what your mother told you. She told you that you would go blind if you did other things to yourself. :D

by PARAM
1 week ago
 Total posts:   6868  
Barbados   Just far enough North of Philadelphia
Hall of Fame

CanuckRightWinger wrote:However, regarding the 2020 Ram OLine roster strength/talent level, um...I do not think Sean McVay is viewing them the same as he did his 2019 Defensive personnel talent...IE. we got the horses, we just need a better wagon-driver.

No, no.....I think McVay is tired of Kromer's Developmental Pets like:
Brian Allen
Jamil Demby
Coleman Shelton
.....and I think McVay has seen enough of veteran OC Austin Blythe as well.
I also think Joe Noteboom is overrated and will never be a dominant LT in the NFL. Capable swingman? Sure! But Noteboom is not going to be Andrew Whitworth 2.0 IMHO.

Heck, if you doubt there will be wholesale personnel changes in store for Los Ramos 2021 OLine, you only have to see that McSnead are already shopping Rob Havenstein....AND PER PFF, HAVENSTEIN WAS ONE OF OUR TOP 2020 OLINE PERFORMERS!!! :shock2:

So, I think Whitworth comes back, and Edwards, Corbett, Evans.....and Anchrum are all keepers......as well as Chandler Brewer if the Covid coast is clear for him in 2021.

But other than those yutes and Whit......now that even Havenstein is being shopped.....IMHO I think there will be alot of new OLine bodies for Kevin Carberry to be working with in 2021. :idea2:

WTF has Chandler Brewer showed you? I haven't seen the guy except in "Photos from Camp"!!

As far as McVay being tired of Kromer's Developmental Pets, I'm sure OL coaches are asked and give their opinion of players already on the roster and potential draftees but McVay, Snead have the final say and make the picks based off of their needs and scouts opinions. Kromer's Developmental Pets are McSnead's draft choices. It's probably more like, Kromer isn't developing McSnead's Developmental Pets fast enough so he's got to go. If you think for one second McVay isn't involved in 100% of the roster formation, from the long snapper to the QB, you're making excuses for him.

Saffold leaving was a money thing, not Kromer saying "yeah he's alright but we can live without him". Not drafting an OL until the 7th round last year was because McVay needed a few offensive players (Jefferson, Akers and Hopkins), which I'm fully in agreement with since Gurley blew out all four tires, Cooks had morphed into eggshell skull and Everett was probably going to be gone in 2021. The rest were to give Staley something to work with on defense after losing Matthews (Terrell Lewis), Weddle (Fuller, Burgess)and Littleton (Clay Johnston). Then they wasted a draft pick trying to replace Z (Sloman), two if you count Johnston.

After the first 6 rounds they probably asked Kromer, "who do you like?" and he said, "give me the kid who played everywhere along the line for a winner like Clemson". Yeah, Kromer gets all the blame for that draft!!! :roll2: As far as your opinion Anchrum is a keeper, we've seen less of him than Brewer!! I'm not saying 'they're not keepers' but in reality we have not seen enough of either to say.

Here's some opinions from around the net:

Old but not Dead, said....
Zone blocking schemes come in all flavors. For example, when the Rams ran the outside zone in 2019 it was a simplistic version with a horizontal concept. They had more success this year when they ran it with a vertical concept. In 2019 they simply pushed the d horizontally and the RB looked for the gap created by a loss of gap discipline by the front 7. If they maintained discipline the play was stuffed. In 2020 they ran both styles of the outside zone but because of it the play was a "tell". In the vertical concept the o-line creates the gap by driving the front 7 off the LOS, the RB must identify where the gap will be and exploit it. In 2020 when the play was play-action the o-line consistently used the horizontal concept reserving the vertical concept strictly for runs. The better-coached defenses began to recognize this so that a good LB realizing he was the backside and seeing the horizontal nature of the blocking would drop off and be waiting for Goff's play fake.

The same also applied to their inside zone but again it was more of impeding the d-front not attacking them. They didn't run their inside zone nearly as much as they should have. Why? You need a good mobile Center capable of attacking the ILB and Blythe simply was very poor at that. What is a head-scratcher in terms of Kromer is that zone techniques, both inside and outside are the most common techniques used by high schools and colleges. Accordingly, young players already would have more than a passing familiarity with the technique. What this means is that Kromer knew less about this than his young players and he knew it.

The hiring of Carberry IMO confirms my suspicion that Kromer was let go because of his inability to develop young players. Running a power gap scheme really isn't a stretch from running an outside zone with a vertical concept or an inside zone for that matter as the concepts are similar. I truly believe Sean wants to move to a power run attack and for that, he needs an o-line coach who knows how to implement it. Carberry looks like the perfect hire with a coach familiar with the NFL, and has a proven track record of success in developing young talent. This is the kind of coach you hire if you as an HC and GM feel you have good talent already on the team that simply needs to be properly coached up.

Put me down as someone who really likes this hire.

TSFH Fan, said:
A little about Stanford's run game:

There have been eyebrows raised at Stanford’s continued recruitment at the fullback position, but Stanford has proven on the field that they have a plan for that position and it’s going to remain a cog in the Cardinal’s offense. We saw more of the traditional Cardinal run game against Washington, and Coach Shaw said that was very much tied to Houston Heimuli rounding into form. “Houston maybe wasn't completely healthy early on in the season and has gotten healthy as the season has gone on. And it's very rare that football coaches say ‘Hey, let's get our fullback going.’ But that's what we've said the last couple of weeks is that Houston is feeling good and he's one of those guys that you want to put in the front of the play because he'll get after people and I won't mention his height. But he's right around 260. He's not six foot, he's right around 260. And he’s got a great pop. So that power play, that power play starts with the fullback and the guy setting the edge and coming downhill and those outside stretch plays. Whoever's on the edge, the fullback’s got to kick that guy out so we can find a crease. And gosh, I think he was perfect today. He was so good. All of his guys got blocked, those guys got moved out of the way. We were able to get back to and through the line of scrimmage. We're really excited. We know we lost Jay Symonds for the rest of the year so really, we have one fullback and we're kind of training a couple other guys if we need them but Houston was really good today.”

to which I replied....
I would be happy as a pig in shit if we drafted a FB and made him a viable part of the offense. I like the kid from Michigan. I've always wondered why Shanahan gets so much out of his FB (and McVay doesn't see a need for one)......good in the run game, good as a receiver, good taking a surprise handoff on short yardage. Utilizing a FB adds another dimension to the offense both predictable and unpredictable......

But getting back to Callahan's protege.....what does he have to work with? What changes do you see coming. Big Whit back at LT? Havenstein? Or will he be traded/released to free up cap space for a UFA C? And what about the kids? Who's a keeper? Corbett, Edwards, Evans, Noteboom, Anchrum.....surely not Demby and Allen.

and on the Kromer fire/Carberry hire these statements are interesting....

RamsFan1, said
That was a fast Hire.

Elmgrovesgnome, said,
McVay likely had conversations with Carberry prior to letting Kromer go.

Far North, replied
Sorry, but if McVay delayed firing Kromer for nearly two months in order to line up his replacement-- which I highly doubt, and which makes no sense-- it was the wrong thing to do. If the organization wants to hang coaches out to dry then it will earn and deserve a poor reputation for how it treats them.

But I was responding to speculation which seems extremely unlikely to me. If McVay could hire Carberry now he could have done so in early January. The supposed behavior would also be unworthy of McVay. In the past McVay has given coaches and players timely notice if they're fired or cut so they can compete for other opportunities.

The explanation that instead makes sense is that McVay and Kromer could not agree about the path forward-- that being the subject of intense discussion only AFTER the end of the season-- either with respect to personnel, or scheme, or both.

1magoh, said
Would he take reasonable steps to ensure the team doesn't fail because he fired the O line coach and couldn't get a good replacement? Good I hope he would.

Call it Machiavellian if you want, but I think that's just run of the mill good organizational planning. It's not like he engineered a situation to get Callahan fired and another to get Kromer to quit, then hired Callahan. He made sure he has a good replacement before he made a decision about paying ways with an adequate coach. And that's if he even was a part of the decision. I haven't heard any details. Maybe Kromer is just walking away.

RamT, said:
Well we have a new QB now acquired just a few weeks ago. So things have changed since the day after the GB loss. Likely they’ve had discussions for the new offense with Stafford, plays, etc. - which the OL is a huge/main component of such. I’d guess that McVay and kromer disagreed on some concepts, OL usage, players, etc. Thus McVay realizing it would be best to utilizing someone else. Makes sense to me.

The idea it was a conflict of opinion going forward instead of a lack performance in the past is interesting. And the fact it occurred 5 weeks after the end of the season and a couple of weeks after the Stafford/Goff trade is coincidence?

by /zn/
1 week ago
 Total posts:   5970  
United States of America   Maine
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:The idea it was a conflict of opinion going forward instead of a lack performance in the past is interesting. And the fact it occurred 5 weeks after the end of the season and a couple of weeks after the Stafford/Goff trade is coincidence?

Who waits 5 weeks to fire a guy cause of a performance assessment? Rich Hammond, who knows the team better than anywhere in here, was the first to point that out.

Though on this issue, everyone is speculating, which is fine. But I notice when the speculation gets into ruts and can't cover the whole field. For some reason there's less speculation about what McVay could have done to cause Kromer to leave. I mean as long as we're speculating, the real issue could be Kromer, could be McVay, could be both.

I've said this before but name the last time a coach lost 4 coordinators (2 on D, 2 on STs) and an OL coach (who is very close to a coordinator and a little more than a position coach)...all in 2 years. With only 1 leaving for a promotion.

For better or for worse, there's something there to consider.

by Elvis
1 week ago
 Total posts:   28892  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

/zn/ wrote:I've said this before but name the last time a coach lost 4 coordinators (2 on D, 2 on STs) and an OL coach (who is very close to a coordinator and a little more than a position coach)...all in 2 years. With only 1 leaving for a promotion.

For better or for worse, there's something there to consider.

Well let's see.

Wade Phillips is 73 year old and out of football. His contract expired and we hired Brandon Staley who did such a good job fielding the #1 defense that he got a HC gig.

So i would say there is zero to consider with those two moves.

There's a little bit of a question with Fassel but his contract had expired too. We don't know exactly what happened there. Bonamego is still with the team so we didn't lose him but we did, clearly, relieve him of his ST duties due to performance. We'll see how the new guy does.

The Kromer timing is definitely a mystery.

by PARAM
1 week ago
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:For better or for worse, there's something there to consider.

And the only ones who know the actual answer are McVay and Kromer (and Snead).

There will be speculation but the proof will be in the results.

by /zn/
1 week ago
Hall of Fame

Elvis wrote:Well let's see.

Wade Phillips is 73 year old and out of football. His contract expired and we hired Brandon Staley who did such a good job fielding the #1 defense that he got a HC gig.

So i would say there is zero to consider with those two moves.

There's a little bit of a question with Fassel but his contract had expired too. We don't know exactly what happened there. Bonamego is still with the team so we didn't lose him but we did, clearly, relieve him of his ST duties due to performance. We'll see how the new guy does.

The Kromer timing is definitely a mystery.

I know the standard explanations.

To me, taken in total, it is still a weird thing.

For one thing, at what point in hiring Phillips did McVay think he was going to get younger? So why hire him if age was an issue (which I don't buy--there have been coaches who did well past the age of 73 in the NFL).

by /zn/
1 week ago
Hall of Fame

PARAM wrote:And the only ones who know the actual answer are McVay and Kromer (and Snead).

There will be speculation but the proof will be in the results.

No, others know. Fassell, Fassell's replacement, Wade, Kromer. They all know more than we do.

If there's going to be speculation (and there is) let it be full-blown. With no one exempted from it. I care more about that (ie. let all ideas come forward) than I do about whether or not McVay is seen as squeaky clean.

The best Rams coach they had since I started following them, Vermeil, was not squeaky clean. Why would anyone else be.

by PARAM
1 week ago
Hall of Fame

/zn/ wrote:I know the standard explanations.

To me, taken in total, it is still a weird thing.

For one thing, at what point in hiring Phillips did McVay think he was going to get younger? So why hire him if age was an issue (which I don't buy--there have been coaches who did well past the age of 73 in the NFL).

The Kromer thing isn't as puzzling as the Bones thing, to me. Somebody said the Rams wanted Bones back. This is a guy who survived Fisher's regime and did well for McVay up until that failed fake punt in 2019. McVay's post game presser was "it was a miscommunication" which sounds a lot like, "I would have never gave the okay in that part of the field". But what if it wasn't? What if he were asked and distracted talking to his QB on the sidelines, just said "yeah go". That, to me if I were an assistant coach, would make me feel some tire tracks. All speculation but that was strange as is the Kromer thing.

by Elvis
1 week ago
 Total posts:   28892  
United States of America   Los Angeles
Administrator

/zn/ wrote:For one thing, at what point in hiring Phillips did McVay think he was going to get younger? So why hire him if age was an issue (which I don't buy--there have been coaches who did well past the age of 73 in the NFL).

So by this logic, keep Wade forever?

Wade is awesome but he's out of football now. He was near the end of his career when we hired him. 3 years later he was at the end. He coached out his contract. He lent credibility, experience and first rate coordinating to the McVay hire.

But how can you find fault with the Staley hire? It was a clear improvement. The only mistake is Staley was too much of a rising star and we lost him after 1 year...

• 14 / 17
163 posts Mar 07 2021